NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Lost Prop AND part of shaft

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
seacamper View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote seacamper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Lost Prop AND part of shaft
    Posted: May-17-2015 at 12:58am
So I was safety boat today, right in the middle of the show, with the ballerinas ready to come off the far dock, and the glider having a malfunction. Just as I touch reverse to hold position, I hear a "thunk" and I have no propulsion. I have to call on the radio that I am dead in the water, and I have to be drug out of the way. Muy embarriasso.
Anyway, I get it out of the water, and see this:

]shaft 1[/URL]

Sigh. It was running pretty good. So, anybody got a good deal on a new shaft for a 75 SN? Was the Acme 542 too much for the shaft??? I will defiantly be getting a new 542!
Tom
1980 Ski Nautique Boat Bar
1988 Mastercraft Tristar Open Bow
1988 Mastercraft Tristar Closed Bow
1969 Seacamper Houseboat
1986 Harris Pontoon
2004 Seadoo GTX SC + Flydive Xboard
1999 Adventurecraft
DrCC View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrCC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-17-2015 at 1:09am
Probably from someone torching a prop to remove it.

Jonny Quest View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jonny Quest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-17-2015 at 1:43am
That really sux. I feel your pain. From the "glass is half-full" perspective, this gives you a good excuse to put in new strut bearings...

FWIW, Sebastian (aka "kapla") in Buenos Aires had a similar issue:

http://www.correctcraftfan.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=35715&KW=&title=prop-gone-to-the-bottom-of-the-river-and-back
Current
2003 Ski Nautique 206 Limited

Previous
2001 Ski Nautique Open Bow
1994 Ski Nautique Open Bow

Aqua skiing, ergo sum
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-17-2015 at 7:26am
Todd,
I have thrown a blade off a prop but never lost one but both aren't a good feeling. Sorry to hear about the loss.

From the picture, I can see a couple things. From the shaft not centered in the cutlass, it looks like there is an alignment problem. The keyway is chewed so the prop has been running on the shaft loose for some time. The prop to shaft contact area also looks like the prop wasn't lapped to the shaft. No, the 542 is not too much for the boat. I'd look more towards install and PM.

I suggest an ARE shaft.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
seacamper View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote seacamper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-17-2015 at 9:43am
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

Todd,
I have thrown a blade off a prop but never lost one but both aren't a good feeling. Sorry to hear about the loss.

From the picture, I can see a couple things. From the shaft not centered in the cutlass, it looks like there is an alignment problem. The keyway is chewed so the prop has been running on the shaft loose for some time. The prop to shaft contact area also looks like the prop wasn't lapped to the shaft. No, the 542 is not too much for the boat. I'd look more towards install and PM.

I suggest an ARE shaft.

Dang it! The last thing I want to hear is that its my fault!.............However, you are right on all counts. I do not think I lapped the prop correctly and it went on so well (and the old one came off so easy) I just tightened her down and went on to other problems. I do not think I ever checked it after the install. I used a nylock instead of a castle nut. I am sure you are right about it being loose based on the pictures. So it looks like a new prop, A.R.E shaft, and cutlass bearing. I am fine with the old style packing, should I consider the gland type?
Tom
1969 Seacamper Houseboat
1986 Harris Pontoon
1999 Adventurecraft
seacamper View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote seacamper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-17-2015 at 9:53am
Oh, yeah, Backfoot was in the crowd laughing at me drifting to shore. To make it funnier, the boat that came out to get me threw me a ski rope that was all tangled up, and the guy did not hold the end, so he threw the rope at us, and we had to hold one end and throw it back. We looked classy!
1969 Seacamper Houseboat
1986 Harris Pontoon
1999 Adventurecraft
Orlando76 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Orlando76 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-17-2015 at 10:19am
I'm afraid of the nylock. Had a brand new one back off to just one thread showing after an hour run in the '93. There's a used prop shaft that came up on the forum yesterday I believe.
seacamper View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote seacamper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-17-2015 at 11:46am
Well, the shaft came out pretty easily, and it is stamped "50". I have to believe that with the end still on it, that would be the length. I have some friends that have offered me a shaft out of a 74' SN, and I left a message for the guy on the parts for sale thread with the 80'. How much better are the A.R.E. shafts? I may dive for the 542 in 20' of water today or tomorrow.
1969 Seacamper Houseboat
1986 Harris Pontoon
1999 Adventurecraft
81nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-17-2015 at 12:29pm
Not sure I would spend much money on a 35 year old shaft. Also since you say the old shaft came out pretty easy I'm guessing the fit in the coupler is shot. I would pony up for the ARE and do it. Once and done.    And it sure is worth trying to find that 542 if you have access I some tanks.
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-17-2015 at 1:29pm
I totally agree with Alan. If the shaft came out of the coupling easy, it too is shot. It's another indication of bad alignment. I'll bet if you look at the coupling it's got smut from fretting. Yes, go for the ARE.

I will comment again that the prop nut doesn't hold the prop on. It's the taper fit. The nut is there to seat the prop on the taper and then there in case the prop wasn't properly lapped/fitted. I have seen several boats come out of the water without a prop nut, the prop still on and how long the nut was missing was unknown.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
seacamper View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote seacamper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-17-2015 at 1:46pm
Originally posted by 81nautique 81nautique wrote:

Not sure I would spend much money on a 35 year old shaft. Also since you say the old shaft came out pretty easy I'm guessing the fit in the coupler is shot. I would pony up for the ARE and do it. Once and done.    And it sure is worth trying to find that 542 if you have access I some tanks.

That is what I am thinking as well. After a bunch of research, it looks like the A.R.E shaft is the way to go.
I am going to get the new prop as well because someone already took a chunk out of my 542 by hitting a ramp cable. I will dive for the old one, but it will go to the shop and be a spare if I find it.
Tom
1969 Seacamper Houseboat
1986 Harris Pontoon
1999 Adventurecraft
IAughtNaut View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IAughtNaut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-20-2015 at 5:26am
Originally posted by seacamper seacamper wrote:

I may dive for the 542 in 20' of water today or tomorrow.
if you heard or felt a thud it stands to reason that the prop hit the rudder or hull. did you see any marks to suggest such? either way I would prepare yourself for the very real possibility that the prop is not in the same condition it was that morning.
bring the ruckus
2000 Pro Air
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IAughtNaut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-20-2015 at 5:27am
sorry, thunk. way different. that could have been a manatee in which case at least you get a snack
bring the ruckus
2000 Pro Air
kapla View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kapla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-20-2015 at 9:22am
Wow Tom deja vu!
Same exact situation....i was able to dive prop back even in muddy waters...only had to wait a low tide 3" deep and voila...
<a href="">1992 ski nautique
seacamper View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote seacamper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-21-2015 at 12:25am
I almost took a peek today, but we started practice early. The new prop is already in the garage with the bearing, packing and nyloc. Just waiting for the shaft to show up Monday. I took this time out to chase down a fuel dip tube problem and got educated on vent lines.
1969 Seacamper Houseboat
1986 Harris Pontoon
1999 Adventurecraft
phatsat67 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phatsat67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-21-2015 at 10:27am
I have been using the same nylock for darn near 6 years or so with multiple prop changes and it's never backed off.

With everything new it will be all buttery smooth like it's supposed to be.
seacamper View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote seacamper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-22-2015 at 12:22am
Originally posted by phatsat67 phatsat67 wrote:

I have been using the same nylock for darn near 6 years or so with multiple prop changes and it's never backed off.

With everything new it will be all buttery smooth like it's supposed to be.

When I knew the prop was gone, but did not know the shaft broke, I was cursing my choice of using the nylock. When I pulled my boat, and saw the shaft, I realized I was cursing the wrong thing!
Tom
1969 Seacamper Houseboat
1986 Harris Pontoon
1999 Adventurecraft
seacamper View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote seacamper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-27-2015 at 12:20am
Hey Guys,
I just wanted to let you all know some divers found the prop!!! Now I have a back up 542..
1969 Seacamper Houseboat
1986 Harris Pontoon
1999 Adventurecraft
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IAughtNaut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-27-2015 at 2:39am
bring the ruckus
2000 Pro Air
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic