Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Tired Interceptor - Block Cracks Everywhere!

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <123
Author
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-19-2016 at 10:06pm
I've bought the cap and rotor at NAPA. I brought my old ones into them and they matched them.
Glassdog View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Glassdog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-19-2016 at 10:27pm
I already Tried that. I so miss the days of the real auto parts stores with real counter men!!
62 wood View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 62 wood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-20-2016 at 3:15am
let me do some checking. I replaced mine. I remember going thru this as well.
64 American Skier

62 Classic..
73 Ski Nautique
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-20-2016 at 9:34am
Originally posted by Glassdog Glassdog wrote:

I already Tried that. I so miss the days of the real auto parts stores with real counter men!!

For sure!! Nothings worse than walking into an Autozone and getting the kid on the computer! Even worse is asking him for a marine part like a RR starter! We.ve heard a couple of those stories.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
62 wood View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 62 wood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-20-2016 at 9:58am
I found the info on the ignition parts. These are #'s on the flaps I saved from the boxes in the 64's notebook..
Dizzy Cap ....................Mallory #226B
Rotor ................................ Mallory #320M
Rotor ................................. NAPA#AL104
Points................................ Mallory #25042
Points................................ NAPA #CS2300
Condenser ................... NAPA #MA3
Condenser...................... Mallory#400
Ballast Resistor ...........Mallory #700
Ballast Resistor .......... NAPA #ICR11
Voltage Regulator ... Wells#VR749
Coil........................................ Mallory 29717

I have 2 part numbers for some of the items. Not 100% why on all of them, I'm pretty sure I do remember on the points. I originally ordered the Mallory points online and was unhappy with the quality of them. They reminded me of the cheap blister packed points kmart used to have hanging on their shelves. I went to NAPA and bought the cross reference CS2300.    BTW, I think these are the same as points a Malory dual point dizzy uses.

I can only guess on the other parts, but I know that I had worked on the ignition a couple of times.   Once when I bought the boat and then a couple years later when I replaced the head. When I did the head, I also re-wired most of the boat. I probably replaced some of the ignition parts again at this time.

Hope this info helps!

64 American Skier

62 Classic..
73 Ski Nautique
62 wood View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 62 wood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-20-2016 at 10:03am
... ohhhhh,....... I also remember a time when I swapped the dizzy out for another one I had, The original dizzy had some corrosion issues with the advance timing plate. Some of the parts could have been from that swap.
64 American Skier

62 Classic..
73 Ski Nautique
62 wood View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 62 wood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-20-2016 at 10:13am
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

Originally posted by Glassdog Glassdog wrote:

For sure!! Nothings worse than walking into an Autozone and getting the kid on the computer! Even worse is asking him for a marine part like a RR starter! We.ve heard a couple of those stories.

Pete, I had to laugh at this... even at NAPA when I asked for the ballast resistor, the young kid had a confused look on his face. (I dont think he even knew what a BR is) Then when its for a 50 year old inboard it's even worse!
One of the old timers stepped up and says "I'll help this one" .

A lot of the time, I'll just ask them for the old paper catalog and tell them to help someone else while I figure out what I think will work.
64 American Skier

62 Classic..
73 Ski Nautique
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-20-2016 at 10:26am
I only ran into a problem once. This happened to be at Napa I'd say at least 15 years ago and that's when they still had "old timers" there. I was looking for the T stats for my 312 Y block. He looked for days and never did find a source. I ended up having to go to Watercraft Sales and the "old timer" there knew where to get them. I paid dearly for them! Also, I never did find out where he got them!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Glassdog View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Glassdog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-20-2016 at 7:53pm
Thank you gentlemen! That information is a great help and gets me a little further. I am hoping to get this motor completely back together. I am in the process of getting the head squared away. I rebuilt the dizzy- new bearing, bushings and seal. Cleaned lots of corrosion out, luckily flyweights and springs were in great condition.ssistance

Still have the carb to rebuild and the raw water pump hope to get this thing running and broken in on the stand so I can get back to the hull.

Thanks again so much of everyone's assistance especially your excellent foresight in documenting 62 wood!
Glassdog View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Glassdog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-20-2016 at 7:53pm
sorry for the typos! in a hurry
Glassdog View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Glassdog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-26-2016 at 7:33pm
Hi guys thought you might want to see what you end up with when you literally build your own interceptor. Sorry if these appear sideways. For whatever reason they never arrive in the position i intend.

These were taken just before I ran it and broke it in for the first time. I am very pleased it ran on the first hit and runs amazingly well. I was kind of startled when it fired off. No leaks of any type.

Quick run down because those of you who have one of these will note some differences.
I harvested a block from a "63 Falcon
Rebuilt - new bearings, lifters, pushrods, gaskets. I rebuilt the carb and the fuel pump and dizzy.
The exhaust manifold is a Barr Marine FC-1 I physically looked at in Woodbridge VA at their factory. (wouldn't sell it to me there though) and you wil notice it required slight mods to the routing of the cooling circuit consisting of extending the connection that orginally went into the stock manifold and using wire reinforced cooling lines as you can see.
Finally ran the exhaust out through a 30 degree water cooled riser.
It runs unbelievably well. Sounds awesome and cools well.

Questions comments?
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-26-2016 at 7:39pm
Wow nice work!
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-26-2016 at 7:51pm
Very nice indeed.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
skutsch View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skutsch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-26-2016 at 8:25pm
That is SO cool!!! What kind of horsepower do you expect? How much does it weigh?
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-26-2016 at 8:39pm
Originally posted by skutsch skutsch wrote:

What kind of horsepower do you expect? How much does it weigh?

Not much and plenty!!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Glassdog View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Glassdog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-26-2016 at 9:05pm
Thanks guys! Well im pretty sure I'm going to get the rated raging 100 HP of Ford performance from it. as far as the weight goes I have no idea maybe 450-500 lbs?? I should take it to a scale before I install it just out of curiousity. Sorry about the pics I finally gave up trying to get them right side up.

I stayed with the stock head. I was considering doing a head swap I'm glad I didn't I'm pretty sure this head had been milled by the previous owner and I did nothing but lap the valves since they were sealing well, brass expansion plugs and new stem seals and check for cracks and trueness of the surfaces.

I have not checked it yet but its got great compression. Rings seated quickly on break in and theres not a hint of smoke. I'm amazed by it. cant wait to get the rest of the boat done and get it wet.
skutsch View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skutsch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-27-2016 at 1:00am
HA! That is very true, not much and a lot - too funny!!!
JPASS View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JPASS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-27-2016 at 8:26am
Wow, that came out really nice.

'92 Correctcraft Ski Nautique
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-27-2016 at 8:41am
Looks great! NAPA 1521 is the short oil filter. I think the engine weighs 350 lbs. I can't remember if that is with or without the trans.
kapla View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kapla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-27-2016 at 4:11pm
Congrats looks awesome! Now I canĀ“t believe Pete overlooked the fram filter...
<a href="">1992 ski nautique
Glassdog View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Glassdog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-28-2016 at 12:19pm
Thanks for all your help and gracious comments throughout. I'm very pleased with the results and that I was able to keep at least in appearance correct to original. I'm with Pete on the Fram filter opinion. Not a very good filter anymore. At one time they were pretty good but when source manufacturers change it's not always necessarily good to the quality of an item. I figured going with the larger filter and the fact it's life span was only going to be 20 minutes of break in it would be ok. Now obviously a much better filter is going on it for use

So ill keep you guys abreast of my progress. I have a pretty solid set of skills and resources, however the imput and advice you all have provided has been invaluable and has cut alot of time out if for nothing else to make myself continually reevaluate and look at solutions to my activities. Thanks so much again!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <123
  Share Topic