Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Prop gone to the bottom of the river, and back!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Prop gone to the bottom of the river, and back!

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <12
Author
DayTony View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DayTony Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-21-2015 at 2:56pm
did you hit something? it sure doesn't look like it from the looks of that wheel.
It almost looks like a problem with metallurgy or you are running a way too big prop and way to much Torque through that shaft.
I'm confused now of how this could have happen.

If it was over tightened it would have broke at the shoulder of the threads, not where it broke.
1988 Barefoot nautique-454
Toertel View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Toertel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-21-2015 at 3:03pm
Prop is just dirty from the mud in the river
Looks like material related failure of the shaft
Looks like initial failure is on the side of the keyway
The smooth area is the fatigue zone whichh developped over time
The rough part is the instantaneous rupture area
1994 Sport Nautique
kapla View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kapla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-21-2015 at 3:05pm
hit nothing, just went into reverse and the prop went away...
prop is in the range for the boat with 310 hp
after looking the picture looks like the prop was only seating in the upper part of the tapper, could that have caused to much stress in that area to finally crack the material?

i remember upon install i had to grind some high spots...this was almost a year ago...
<a href="">1992 ski nautique
Morfoot View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Morfoot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-21-2015 at 3:15pm
Originally posted by kapla kapla wrote:

after looking the picture looks like the prop was only seating in the upper part of the tapper, could that have caused to much stress in that area to finally crack the material?

Makes since to me as a professional wrench monkey. I'm no metalurgist but looks it does look like metal fatigue at the fracture. Would the discolorization of the metal be a clue? If so it's a 'Here's you Proof' of the impotance of proper propeller lapping to the shaft is.   
"Morfoot; He can ski. He can wakeboard.He can cook chicken.He can create his own self-named beverage, & can also apparently fly. A man of many talents."72 Mustang "Kermit",88 SN Miss Scarlett, 99 SN "Sherman"
kapla View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kapla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-21-2015 at 3:17pm
duhhh
<a href="">1992 ski nautique
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <12
  Share Topic