Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Aussie with 90mdl ski

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
Bathmagic View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bathmagic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Aussie with 90mdl ski
    Posted: March-20-2015 at 8:40am
Hi guys,
I found this forum today, it's great to see the enthusiasm you all show for your boats!

Yesterday we have pruchased our first ski nautique, it's a 1990 so she's seen a few nicer days.
It's the end of summer here, we have a couple more weeks of fun coming and then it's tear down and restore time !

I'm a spray painter by trade and have restored more than a few cars so I'm quite excited with the idea of taking an older boat, restoring it while adding in some more modern features.

I will be asking some questions along along the way about where to get parts and how to approach a few things so I thank you in advance for taking the time to answer what may seem a simple question.
Hoping to post some pics next week once the boat arrives home.
Until then I will keep reading and drooling at some of the lovely machines you guys have.

Thanks Dale
phatsat67 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phatsat67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-20-2015 at 10:21am
Congrats!
Bathmagic View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bathmagic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-20-2015 at 10:22am
Thank you !
lewy2001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lewy2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-20-2015 at 10:42am
Where abouts in Oz???

If you're going through hell, keep going

89 Ski

<a href="http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=5685" ta
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-20-2015 at 11:07am
Careful what you call old around here. Welcome!
Bathmagic View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bathmagic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-20-2015 at 6:54pm
Haha very true Hollywood, although I have hit that 40 years myself..... I'm based in Victoria lewy
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-20-2015 at 7:05pm
I was referring to the boat.
Toertel View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Toertel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-20-2015 at 7:16pm
Welcome and remember:
Pics or it didn't happen
1994 Sport Nautique
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-20-2015 at 7:45pm
Dale,
Welcome and as mentioned, we want pictures!!

I see you are a spray painter. Please don't get any ideas about painting the boat. A wet sand and buff typically will bring back the gel to better than original. If there is damage and lots of deep spider cracking, then consider a re gel.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
lewy2001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lewy2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-20-2015 at 9:11pm
Originally posted by Bathmagic Bathmagic wrote:

I'm based in Victoria lewy

Another Mexican   

Get some pictures up of that NWZ Ski. I wonder if it is the one Chopper imported?

I remember when I could almost track every early Correct Craft in Aus. But when the $Aus and $US got closer the surge of imports was incredible. It has slowed down now with the dollar back in the 70 cents range.

89 Ski

Bathmagic View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bathmagic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-20-2015 at 11:51pm
Pic will be in a week to week and half when I go back to NSW to pick it up.

The gel coat is. It really good on it, I'm very firmiliar with working on gel oat however there are a number of blisters, chips holes etc and a full repair and paint will be in order.

I'm going to keep it standard looking even down to the original decals as we love the look

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-20-2015 at 11:55pm

The gel coat is. It really good on it, I'm very firmiliar with working on gel oat however there are a number of blisters, chips holes etc
Then do a gel match repair!

paint will be in order.

I'm going to keep it standard looking even down to the original decals as we love the look

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Bathmagic View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bathmagic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-20-2015 at 11:57pm
What's the issue with a full re spray in paint rather than doing the old school repairs with gel coat, please note there is a lot of repairs on the hull.

I do have a pic but how do I post it?
I have loaded it to this site but how do I add it to a post ?
Bathmagic View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bathmagic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-21-2015 at 12:04am
Sorted !

There she is fellas

The only thing I will change it where the hull has the grey I will do that black and redo the trim in white instead of the grey.
lewy2001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lewy2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-21-2015 at 3:08am
The gelcoat looks fine in the picture...but it always does in pictures...

Get some pics of the repairs but it does look restorable from that one picture.

89 Ski

Bathmagic View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bathmagic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-21-2015 at 4:00am
The boat is actually in quite a good state, it's solid and runs a treat.

I will order a skin set from Christine's marine in a few weeks, new carpet and upgrade the stereo.
Given we have 4 kids we may add a tower to keep things out of the boat.
He trailer will require the front cut off, remade and then a complete sand blasting before re spraying and some carpet board added on the front section to make getting the boat on and off safer.

I am so in love with the classic shape of these boats, I can see why your all so obsessed !
Lewy2001, is there a get together or regatta for Natique owners like they have in the USA ......or is it just you and I ?
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-21-2015 at 8:05am

What's the issue with a full re spray in paint rather than doing the old school repairs with gel coat, please note there is a lot of repairs on the hull.

Gel repair is certainly not "old school" but considered an art form. Yes, paint has vastly improved over the years but is still just a thin coating. It's considered by many to be just an easy cover up of what's hiding below. A scratch in gel can be fixed easier than a scratch in paint. I do not consider painting over gel to be a true restoration.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Kristof View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kristof Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-21-2015 at 9:13am
Comforting to know that Pete will always steer us in the right direction

I had that same discussion a few years ago... After listening to the more enlightened ones on this forum, decided to wetsand, repair and buff the gelcoat. Didn't regret it for a nanosecond!

But, in the end, as also said quite a few times on this forum, it's your boat and you have to do what you think is best for you...

- Gun control means: using BOTH hands!
- Money doesn't make one happy, but when it rains cats and dogs, it's still better to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle...

TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-21-2015 at 10:19am
Please.
Don't.
Paint.

Welcome!
Bathmagic View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bathmagic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-21-2015 at 11:16am
I think I may re adjust my original comments I will be modernising the boat rather than restoring which is to attempt to match the factory Finnish.

I personally manufacture products and deal with gel coat and resin in high volume, given I have more experience than most in these fields for my situation I feel a quality 2 pack paint will suit my needs.

I hope this doesn't offend any of the purest restoration guys here, I understand the dedication required after all my beginning of work was a coach builder where we would roll panels for cars up on wheels by hand.

Each to their own and I hope you enjoy what I create for my family , after all boating is for the family which is my priority!
Bathmagic View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bathmagic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-26-2015 at 8:46am
Picked her up tonight, 9 hrs of driving but it's worth it.

Pics tomorrow in the daylight
Bathmagic View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bathmagic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-27-2015 at 10:34pm
I'm haven issues loading pics off the phone.

Can someone tell me from the ID tag on the motor the serial number begins with a 302, does this mean the motor is a 302 not a 351.
If not how do I tell if it's 302 or a 351 ?

Also how is the best way to check the transmission fluid levels, and if I need to adjust what oil goes in them?

Thanks Guys
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic