NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Slalom Course Maintenance

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
Orlando76 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Orlando76 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Slalom Course Maintenance
    Posted: February-28-2015 at 6:17pm
We, well actually ccf member Skidaddle, has a portable slalom course kinda permanently installed on our lake. Surprisingly the life of a course is pretty short, less than a year. I went out today in the pouring rain (so the fishermen wouldn't see me and get ideas) and replaced all the balls and did a few other repairs and tried to straighten it the best I could. I guess the portable courses will always have a curve to them? I learned a few things today:

-Boy my Skiff made it much easier than if I used my CC, (algae, tools, seaweed).
-Damn I'm out of shape. I had to take breaks between pumping up 22 balls with a Mickey Mouse bike pump.
-Make sure you are up to date with your Tetanus shot as I found 500 fish hooks the hard way bc I had to pull the entire length of course up bc it was completely sunken, no balls left on surface.
-Half the balls were still attached but sunk bc of lack of air and also filled with water. Recommendations on how to avoid balls filling with water? Is this poor quality?
-Color suggestions?
M3Fan View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M3Fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-28-2015 at 6:28pm
This is standard life with a public water course, unfortunately. Been there, done that. Buoys typically fill up with water after propeller strikes or if the eyelet tears on the ball. Water varmits can also chew/gnaw on them. If there is no obvious sign of water ingress, perhaps try a different brand.

Contact Ed at Ez-Slalom.com. He can help you with all of your questions and products and everything. The guy is amazing with this stuff.

And no there is not always a bow in portable courses. Lack of tension, wind, and current can all cause bowing.
2000 SN GT40 w/99 Graphics/Gel
2016 SN 200 OB 5.3L DI
https://forum.fifteenoff.com

jhersey29 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jhersey29 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-28-2015 at 6:47pm
We use stainless steel cable sold at Home Depot and stainless steel cable clamps to repair the course. 2 diamonds broke this year and needed new steel. Also we like the polyform balls at Skiertoskier the latex and hooks they offer are awesome. Prices are very reasonable. The balls are softer than others and seem to hold up pretty well. We ran though about 30 of them this year. Same issues on out lake. It is public and people driver over them or ski over them.

This course is fixed by a concrete bucket on one end and a concrete parking block on the other. The only time it bows is when the main lime is loose and that happens when a diamond breaks or the pvc pole slips around in the diamond.

Check out the tech tips on the above site. Some of it might help you.

Clamp

Cable
jhersey29 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jhersey29 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-28-2015 at 7:11pm
This Course Layout with addition of (H) Disabled Balls
is a nice link for course layout.   Since you stated 22 balls I think your missing the green disabled balls. These will help keep the course consistent. The pvc will not sag between the skier ball and drive ball as much making the course maybe a little wider that your used to but probably how it should be and may help hold the course together. The disabled balls are also great for beginners.

End Gates - Red
Skier Buoys - Red
Boat Guide buoys - Yellow
Disabled Buoys - Green

Orlando76 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Orlando76 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-01-2015 at 10:58am
The skiertoskier website is new to me. They sell the Polyform balls very reasonably which I think might be better quality than Overtons which I bought.

The course isn't too consistent but looks pretty good. Heck, this course noob is still working on the mini course but I'm gonna die trying the full course. I did notice the skier buoys didn't line up well with the boat buoys, definite flex in the PVC arms, they were pushing 18" out of alignment. They probably sag too bringing them closer but thats fine for now, can't reach them anyways. I was gonna try to pull the course straight with the boat but not knowing what the other end was fastened with I was worried about breaking the poly ropes or crimps. The bow is minor and for us two who attempt it we'll never tell the difference.
M3Fan View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M3Fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-01-2015 at 11:04am
Nice to see somebody going for buoys on this site, btw. An alternative to seeing how many barefooters we can get up at the same time and/or how fast we can make a boat go that's not designed for speed
2000 SN GT40 w/99 Graphics/Gel
2016 SN 200 OB 5.3L DI
https://forum.fifteenoff.com

Morfoot View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Morfoot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-01-2015 at 11:19am
Todd, I used an inflation needle to drain out the water in the buoys in the course I hauled up to ten for 81Nautique a couple years ago. Inflated the balls helped force the water out. Took a while but it worked. I guess over time the water displacement caused by the buoy and upward force of the water on the inflation point it will leak a little bit.

Joel probably knows more about this than anyone.
"Morfoot; He can ski. He can wakeboard.He can cook chicken.He can create his own self-named beverage, & can also apparently fly. A man of many talents."72 Mustang "Kermit",88 SN Miss Scarlett, 99 SN "Sherman"
RLW View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RLW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-01-2015 at 7:26pm
We have a slalom course that's been on public water for over 30 year's. With 22 individual anchors all the sub buoys that sit in more than 4ft of water we fill with great foam works very well.
skinxs
Orlando76 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Orlando76 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-26-2015 at 5:27pm
Wow.... February 28 I put all new balls in. I already need to replace half of them because they've deteriorated below the waterline. I'm sure the other half aren't far behind. I can see this is going to become expensive.
jhersey29 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jhersey29 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-26-2015 at 6:43pm
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic