Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

A gas tank syphon starter

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
GMacLaren View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GMacLaren Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: A gas tank syphon starter
    Posted: February-25-2015 at 8:15pm
Soon I will be towing an American Skier more than 900 miles on a CC trailer with no brakes, so I wanted the boat to be as light as possible. One way to lighten the load was to empty the gas tank. Here's how I did it. I wrapped the thru-hull fuel vent fitting with tape. Then I used a 10' section of 3/8" fuel line as a syphon tube. I inserted the syphon tube into the tank via the thru-hull filler, then pulled it back maybe 1/4". I stuck the other end into a 5 gallon gas can. To start the syphon, I used my shop vac to pressurize the tank, by hooking the vac's hose to the vac's output, using some damp rags around the fillers opening as a "seal" of sorts. I ran the vac for about 3 seconds until the syphon started, then filled a 5 gallon container -- three times. The resulting towed load is about 100 pounds lighter, and I tasted no gasoline!
-=Grant=-    

-=Grant MacLaren=-
Retired Expert
http://www.grantmaclaren.com/72skier
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-25-2015 at 8:39pm
Grant,
NONE of my trailers have brakes!! What are you pulling the American skier with? A Yugo?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-25-2015 at 8:42pm
BTW, one of these makes a great siphon set up:

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic