Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

1965 Nautique Update

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 234
Author
70CC View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 70CC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-20-2021 at 10:16pm
Fantastic!  PM sent.  Thanks!
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-21-2021 at 1:04pm
The USPS has the package now, says it'll be there on Wednesday. 

I'll send a tracking number in a PM later today
70CC View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 70CC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-03-2021 at 9:18pm
Velvet drive updated with neutral safety switch - thanks again to Ken.  Motor box and rear hatch cover added.

70CC View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 70CC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-03-2021 at 9:30pm
Pulling its first skier in about 30 years...
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-03-2021 at 9:55pm
Beautiful Phil 
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-04-2021 at 5:47am
Phil,
Thanks for all your efforts into a fantastic restoration.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
67 ski nat View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 67 ski nat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-04-2021 at 8:30am
Very nice 65, well done sir
67 ski nat View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 67 ski nat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-04-2021 at 8:44am
Next years calender entry winner
63 Skier View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 63 Skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-04-2021 at 10:11am
Boat looks amazing, and love the picture with the skier!  If it's possible for a boat to be smiling, that one is.
'63 American Skier - '98 Sport Nautique
samudj01 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote samudj01 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-04-2021 at 2:25pm
Awesome to see it back pulling skiers. A job well done.
78 Ski Tique, 72 Skier w/302's, 93 SN w/351 & 17 GS22 w/zr409
Previous - 99 Sport Nautique w/GT40 and 87 Martinique w/351
davidg View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote davidg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-04-2021 at 2:55pm
Sweet boat!  Very nice work.  I bet that 390 sounds sweet!  Love them FE motors.  
70CC View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 70CC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-13-2023 at 12:14am
It's been awhile since I've posted.  Here's an update on the '65 Nautique:

Last summer the rebuilt 71C transmission with maybe 10 hours of use failed.  I was pulling into the boat lift, went into reverse to slow down, and the boat stalled.  Went to neutral, started the boat, and it lurched forward, almost going through the lift - that would have been bad!  Shifting into reverse stalled the boat again. After getting the boat safely on the lift I determined the transmission was stuck in forward.  Could have been so much worse as I think of the times where I have pulled up to a dock, counting on reverse to slow me down.  Well that was it for summer of 2022.

Fortunately, I had a spare 71C from one of the marine engines that I bought for parts.  It was an early unit mated to an early FE in unknown condition.  At least the fluid looked OK and so I thought it was worth giving a try.  At a minimum it would be a place-holder to attach the motor mounts to and hold up the rear of the motor while working on the failed transmission.  Degreased, and with a quick shot of paint to match the motor, it was ready to install.

The swap went well.  I used some lifting ears that came with one of the engines to suspend the rear of the motor.  Glad I installed studs in place of the lowest two bolts when the first transmission was installed to help guide the transmission into place.

After getting things bolted up, I went to the boat ramp.  Boat started, no leaks, so far so good.  Let it warm up, then checked forward and reverse.  Still no leaks and seemed to be going into gear properly.  Checked and added some fluid and took a cruise, everything worked fine.  I now have a couple of hours of cruising and all seems to be ok.

One of my winter projects will be tearing into the transmission that I pulled out to find out what happened and hopefully can fix it.
63 Skier View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 63 Skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-13-2023 at 10:59am
Nice to have a spare on hand to swap in there, and even nicer that it ended up working.

Great to see that boat getting used in 2023, 57 years old if I did the math correctly.
'63 American Skier - '98 Sport Nautique
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 234
  Share Topic