NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Swedish Ski Nautique 1969

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <12
Author
JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-05-2015 at 5:16pm
I would carefully stone it to remove anything riding higher than the surface then I would run it and forget about it. Use a couple pieces of hose over. Those rod bolts to prevent doing it again on the other ones. I use relatively long hoses to help guide the rod.
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
axelg89 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote axelg89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-01-2015 at 3:30pm
Hello all,

Sorry for beeing absent for so long. Have had a lot to do and had my hands full getting the boat ready for the summer and as everything has been going smooth I've havn't had any specific questions.

So I followed Joe's advice and put the engine back together being very careful to do everything by the book. I then went on fixing the interor with a new seats, some beer holders, a good stereo and so on.

Last weekend I could take it to the lake and fire it up in water for the very first time. So far everything seems to work perfectly which is great. I even did some wakeboarding behind it without any trouble at all

Finally I've installed a tow hitch to my car so the '69s can travel in style :) . Does anyone know how much a 69' barracuda with a 351 weights?

Now on to a few pics:

Engine back together

Engine back in place with accessories

Put a new gascap on the boat, the small details that matter

In water!

That great feeling

The tow car got hitched!

Hope you're all having a great summer!
Axel

Chevy350 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chevy350 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-01-2015 at 4:00pm
Glad to see your having a blast with your boat! I love the Vette also!
1972 Mustang
shierh View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shierh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-01-2015 at 5:20pm
you will have to get the crank machined and get new bearings for it..   

Wow you boat has glass stringer and no core, that makes the job easier.
JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-01-2015 at 5:58pm
Originally posted by shierh shierh wrote:

you will have to get the crank machined and get new bearings for it..   

He didn't have to, and he won't it is perfectly acceptable to use an appropriate stone in that situation to debur and go on with life. It will have no negative effect what so ever on that bearing life.
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
ultrahots View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ultrahots Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-02-2015 at 2:52am
Joe is absolutely correct. I have seen several a lot worse than this done in exactly the way he described. Glad to see you are out having fun with It !
shierh View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shierh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-02-2015 at 12:53pm
i replied on this not seeing second page so missed that he had already done it.
Didnt know that cc used glass no core stringers on some older models.   wonder y they started using a core?   My 1967 hatteras had glass stringers, no wood and not core in hull.   built like a tank and thats y she is still riding proud at 48 years old.   
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-02-2015 at 1:06pm
They didn't,that was a job done by a PO. CC did not start to use glass stringers until most 93 models
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-02-2015 at 8:01pm
Originally posted by shierh shierh wrote:

i
Didnt know that cc used glass no core stringers on some older models.   wonder y they started using a core?   My 1967 hatteras had glass stringers, no wood and not core in hull.   built like a tank and thats y she is still riding proud at 48 years old.   

As Gary stated, CC didn't back then. The stringer replacement is discussed in the thread. It's interesting use of pultruded glass structural members.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
BuffaloBFN View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-03-2015 at 2:56am
Super nice all around!

Beware those wrenches on the dash; sore toes, scratched gel coat...    
1988 BFN-sold

"It's a Livin' Thing...What a Terrible Thing to Lose" ELO
74Wind View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 74Wind Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-03-2015 at 9:27am
A Vette...Stars & Stripes on the wall...if it weren't for the license plate it looks like an American garage. .
1974 Southwind 18
1975 Century Mark II
Jonny Quest View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jonny Quest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-03-2015 at 6:59pm
Originally posted by 74Wind 74Wind wrote:

A Vette...Stars & Stripes on the wall...if it weren't for the license plate it looks like an American garage. .

+1

Nice job on the rebuild.

Nice garage too. Still.....it pains me to see a hitch on a vintage Corvette. Good entry for the "Show Us Your Tow Vehicle" thread.
Current
2003 Ski Nautique 206 Limited

Previous
2001 Ski Nautique Open Bow
1994 Ski Nautique Open Bow

Aqua skiing, ergo sum
terminaldegree View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote terminaldegree Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-03-2015 at 7:58pm
Good work, Axel!
1996 Sport Nautique GT40/Acme 422
KRoundy View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KRoundy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-04-2015 at 12:14pm
Very cool. Congratulations!
Previous: 1993 Electric Blue/Charcoal Ski Nautique
Current: 2016 Ski Nautique 200 Open Bow
axelg89 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote axelg89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-25-2016 at 11:45am
Hey everyone!

So last season was a bust due to transmission slipping and despite flushing it and changing fluid it wouldn't get better. During the winter I rebuilt the entire transmission changing clutch discs, bearings and gaskets and installet the trans back into the boat.

Test drove the trans this weekend and the problem somehow remained exactly the same which is extreamly strange considering all my work on it.
Symptoms include:
- Transmission slipping when warm
- Oil cooler lines hot on one side but completely cold on the other side. Entire outside of the cooler is sea cool.
- Trans case gets hot quickly.

As it's the only thing I havn't checked I'm starting to think that the trans cooler/lines are blocked/not flowing enough, anyone had that problem? Any other thoughts? Eveything in the tranmission looked good, I cleaned everything etc.

I will take the cooler out and check that it's not blocked and I guess that the next step after is to monitor the transmission oil pressure which I'll try to do next weekend. Does anyone here know what threads/size the main pressure line tap is so I can get the correct adapter/gauge?

Thanks
/ Axel
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-25-2016 at 1:17pm
Axel,
You didn't mention if you checked out the pump. If worn and out of spec, it won't develop the needed pressure to apply pressure to the clutch pack and keeping them from slipping. Unfortunately, pump specs/clearances aren't published. I don't feel it's a cooling problem since the cooler is doing it's job - hot in cold out.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
GottaSki View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GottaSki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-25-2016 at 1:36pm
Best to put a pressure gauge in the NPT pipe port and see what it says.

think its NPT 1/4" pipe, if not 1/8" pipe, have both. There is a port each for pump, fwd and rev, and they are not all the same size.

I leave a gauge on mine all the time.

If the pressure is high, could be an indicator of restricted flow. Low, could be bad pump. The best picture would be to sample all conditions.
"There is nothing, absolutely nothing, half so much worthwhile as messing around with boats...simply messing."

River Rat to Mole
axelg89 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote axelg89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-26-2016 at 5:06am
Well I didn't change the pump which was maybe my mistake then. Insspected it visually and it looked clean from scratches, burs or chips and felt tight in the pump housing.

Is it common that the pump decays?

I'll hook up a pressure gauge and check the pressures!
GottaSki View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GottaSki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-26-2016 at 11:02am
Yes, a 47 year old pump is always suspect. Best check the pressures.
"There is nothing, absolutely nothing, half so much worthwhile as messing around with boats...simply messing."

River Rat to Mole
axelg89 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote axelg89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-26-2016 at 11:43am
Can anyone tell me if mechanical pressure gauges are the same for air and fluids. Found this in my local hardware store at a good price but it's in the compressed air section... does it matter?
http://www.jula.se/catalog/verktyg-och-maskiner/tryckluft/kompressortillbehor/tryckluftsbehandling/manometer-018028/

BR
Axel
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <12
  Share Topic