NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Post Boat Show Blues

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <12
Author
dwouncmd View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dwouncmd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-09-2015 at 3:20pm
One other thought, if you look at the comp boat section of Ski It Again, there is thriving aftermarket. If you are a manufacturer and make a product that survives 20 years (a 97 SN is still a sought after slalom hull and many can be found in good to excellent condition, so much so people are starting to spend $10K to re-power with zero off), then the new boats are harder to sell...
89 SN
<a href="http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=6567&sort=&pagenum=1" rel="nofollow">7
phatsat67 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phatsat67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-09-2015 at 3:23pm
Yea, I mean lets face it, if you are a professional athlete, what measurable advantage do you get over a TSC hull when moving to a 200? Marginal at best but probably not measurable because you probably don't ski as consistently as professional athletes.

Drop in a 10-15k to a boat you've owned since it was new and it has more power and better speed control and will operate perfectly fine for another 20+ years.
63 Skier View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 63 Skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-09-2015 at 3:33pm
Originally posted by Jonny Quest Jonny Quest wrote:

Originally posted by 63 Skier 63 Skier wrote:

The manufacturers make what sells, the dealers stock what sells, so I don't see there being any blame to place anywhere.

Gotta accept the times are changing, and just enjoy what you like to do and let others make their own decisions.

I agree that the manufacturers are making what sells. Free Market society at work here. Hopefully my post acknowledges that. Also, I don't recall placing any blame anywhere, as blame is not the issue

I didn't mean to imply you were placing blame Rob, I was just making my own comment. I agree, really hope I can always come up with someone to ski with, not just a couple of people to drive me or a couple of boarders who give me a pull.

Slalom is hard, so is boarding, so is barefoot, etc. If you learn this summer, it will likely be a few seasons before you are really feeling solid and confident. "Back in my day" (hate sounding like that, but oh well!) we dragged ourselves up out of deep water behind 40 and 50 HP outboards, argued over which one of us put up a higher wall of spray, kept challenging ourselves. Not to say nobody wants to do that today, just seems like there is an "easy way is better" mentality a lot of the time.

And one other thing - like I said above, none of us had fancy or high powered boats, so as we learned part of the struggle was doing the best with what we had. Now my family, kids, nieces and nephews get to use "uncle David's" boat, a 310 HP machine. I wonder if that takes some of the novelty out of it, not sure.
'63 American Skier - '98 Sport Nautique
jellison View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jellison Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-17-2015 at 2:35am
Bought mine for wakeboarding mostly but I made sure I bought a Direct Drive. Easier to work on and I still enjoy a good run up the lake on a slalom ski when i get the chance :)

MY BOATS:
1988 Ski Nautique (SOLD)
1998 Air Nautique
Bakchose View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bakchose Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-19-2015 at 11:47am

So Brian M. and I went to the Boston Boat show yesterday and MacCallums had a Ski Nautique 200 OB on display. I have to say it is a sharp looking boat. They also have a Sport 200 in medium/dark blue metal flake that is really sharp as well. Malibu had a Response up in the air again and an open bow that you can get in. Mastercraft had a Prostar that we spent some time poking around. The fiberglass cover for the open bow was cool. But, for me, the interior fit and finish looked sloppy and somewhat cheap. Mastercraft also has a price point 20ft V-drive (MT20?)for under 60k. Unfortunately the dash looked like it was lifted out of a early 70s Bradley GT kit car or 1975 Bricklin. I much rather entertain a Tige R20 over that boat.

I think I'm starting to get immune to the sticker shock. I talked to the guys from Long Lake Marine and ask how many of the models did they sell last year. The G23 was tied with the 210. Unfortunately there weren't nearly as many sport 200s sold. Just trying to get a grasp on the future used boat market.      
phatsat67 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phatsat67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-19-2015 at 12:18pm
Hahahhaha Bradley GT or Bricklin !

I think Tige' has really stepped up their game over the last 5 years. The styling of their older boats was just atrocious looking. They still take a somewhat utilitarian approach at functionality which I think is good. A little more function over form.
a0128 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote a0128 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-19-2015 at 5:19pm

Looking at the sign on the transom . . . does this mean if I am a Yankees fan I can't climb aboard?
halfnelly View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote halfnelly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-19-2015 at 5:27pm
Originally posted by a0128 a0128 wrote:

Looking at the sign on the transom . . . does this mean if I am a Yankees fan I can't climb aboard?

I have the very same rule in my boat. Go Sox!
quinner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quinner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-19-2015 at 6:05pm
Originally posted by Bakchose Bakchose wrote:

Just trying to get a grasp on the future used boat market.      

One would think the used direct drive inboard will be a hot commodity if the supply of new DD boats has dropped off as much as it appears to have.

Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-19-2015 at 6:10pm
The supply has only dropped because the demand dropped. Unless demand suddenly increases used prices will not be affected. Plenty MFGs are perfectly willing to build new [small] ski boats.
quinner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quinner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-19-2015 at 6:21pm
True however is cost a driving factor in fewer new orders? Demand may still be there just not enough supply of people wanting to drop 70+k for a small ski boat.
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-19-2015 at 6:24pm
When your talking that kind of money which you would on such a new used boat,isn't it hard to get a loan? I need to get 30 an hour from my McDonalds job,it's my rights to be able to get a boat right?
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-19-2015 at 6:50pm
The sales of these giant G monsters tell me cost is not a factor.
Bakchose View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bakchose Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-19-2015 at 7:00pm
They might be selling them, but at the same volume that CC was selling boats in the 80s and 90s? That's why I'm asking dealers their sale numbers
Orlando76 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Orlando76 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-19-2015 at 7:01pm
Isn't wake boarding's main demographic 20-35 year olds? Where are they getting $150k for a toy!? I was 23 when I bought my first house with a mortgage not much more than a new G25 sticker. I was so poor come the 30th of the month I couldn't have bought a canoe.
Bakchose View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bakchose Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-19-2015 at 7:06pm
Living at home and getting 15 to 20 yr loans? I could buy one but I'd have to sell my cottage. And get a boat loan
Orlando76 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Orlando76 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-19-2015 at 7:11pm
I wonder what the used market will be on these behemoths? Part of the reason they're flying off the lot may be due to the fact APR is less for a new boat assuming they're getting a note on it.
63 Skier View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 63 Skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-19-2015 at 7:46pm
Originally posted by Orlando76 Orlando76 wrote:

I wonder what the used market will be on these behemoths? Part of the reason they're flying off the lot may be due to the fact APR is less for a new boat assuming they're getting a note on it.

I can picture the discussion on the Craigslist thread 40 years from now in the year 2055:

"Here's a link to a 2015 G23 in Florida, they're asking $7,400 for it but that's kind of steep for one of these old tanks, I'd offer 5 grand."

Then someone chimes in that the windshield is actually not original.
'63 American Skier - '98 Sport Nautique
Orlando76 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Orlando76 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-19-2015 at 7:53pm
I was thinking along the lines of 2019 on a 2015 model. Guessing a loan is 9% on new and 12% on used? That extra 3% on that big of a number may make the new boat cheaper. The financing may increase more than the boat will depreciate.
M3Fan View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M3Fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-19-2015 at 7:59pm
I've re-written at least 3 huge responses to this post and basically I give up because I can't see the point. 3 event went to private lakes years ago, the audience for these boats is not at the boat show, and they sell enough of them. It's fine. From my perspective as a fairly serious course skier, I'm not "worried" or "depressed" about my sport based on what I see at the boat show. Let's move on and get through the winter here folks.
2000 SN GT40 w/99 Graphics/Gel
2016 SN 200 OB 5.3L DI
https://forum.fifteenoff.com

Tim D View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tim D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-19-2015 at 10:34pm
Can you imagine 40 years from now, 2055 at a CC reunion and and everyone with a v-drive gathers around a direct drive boat seeing how easy one is to work on and maintain?

With the 150k boats, I guess people are buying with home equity loans at about 2.5%
Tim D
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-19-2015 at 11:36pm
It's 2015 and I'm thinking that Tim! They will also be saying, I'd get that old 2012 Nautique sitting behind that marina but you can't bypass that old LINC system to get it to run,they quit using them in 2020 you know

Here is a Scarab 165,they bought the rights from Ski Doo.They sell them at the dealership my neighbor's at - 22,600. Tower optional! You sure can find a nice no wood Correct Craft for that easily.

69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-19-2015 at 11:42pm
ralph
Bakchose View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bakchose Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-20-2015 at 1:34am
Originally posted by Gary S Gary S wrote:

It's 2015 and I'm thinking that Tim! They will also be saying, I'd get that old 2012 Nautique sitting behind that marina but you can't bypass that old LINC system to get it to run,they quit using them in 2020 you know

Here is a Scarab 165,they bought the rights from Ski Doo.They sell them at the dealership my neighbor's at - 22,600. Tower optional! You sure can find a nice no wood Correct Craft for that easily.

OMG!!! You found my hair drier!! I was wondering where I left it. Thank you so much!! Now I can go to work tomorrow.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <12
  Share Topic