NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

1991 Nautique excel trailer resto

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
velde99 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote velde99 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 1991 Nautique excel trailer resto
    Posted: January-28-2015 at 3:16pm
So I recently purchased a 1991 Nautique EXCEL with 38 hours on it. Boat was bought by a guy for his wife and a few weeks after he bought it- she passed away. The boat was winterized and basically stored for it's whole life. I ended up working out a deal with the seller and we drove to Texas in April to pick it up. One of the things I loved about this boat was the trailer! The original fenders had been changed and a member pointed out to me- the color was wrong. The fenders should have been blue-not black. I searched high and low to match the original factory paint- and after buy about 30 different spay cans- I found one that was almost exact! I painted the fenders and was super happy with the results. I was then not happy with the rest of the trailer!!! I noticed all the knick and scratched. So that turned into a total repaint. Once I started to remove the side steps- I found small amount of rust where the plywood was always wet against the metal. All the pin stripping needed to be removed. All this has turned out to be a huge project- over a few comments about the non original fenders.. TRBENJ -thanks for the comments on the fenders- Super happy how it turned out. Thanks to Marty for all the decals too! So a few days for it dry really well and I will apply the new pin strip and it will be ready for ski season!

(this is what it originally looked like)
Air206 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Air206 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-28-2015 at 3:20pm
Awesome! Making me have non-buyers remorse, Rod! Beautiful Boat too........
IAughtNaut View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IAughtNaut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-28-2015 at 3:22pm
hang on, 38 hours on a 91 excel? Is that all original? That's incredible
bring the ruckus
2000 Pro Air
IAughtNaut View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IAughtNaut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-28-2015 at 3:22pm
oh yeah, the trailer looks good too, or whatever, I'm more amazed by the boat
bring the ruckus
2000 Pro Air
quinner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quinner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-28-2015 at 3:25pm
Yeah, where is the thread about that time capsule??

Nice vanity plate
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-28-2015 at 3:34pm
Rod,
Very nice!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
velde99 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote velde99 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-28-2015 at 3:45pm
Yes she is all original! Steve (air206) was the first to drive it. Not a thing was changed from the day it came from correct craft. I removed the decals ( starting to peel). But the boat has never even been waxed! What you see is how I got it. I will post a thread about the boat. That is a cool story in itself. Boat even had all the original warranty card for pcm filled out with lots of neat other stuff.   When I was cleaning the boat- under the dash pod was all the original construction debris. Boat didn't have a single scratch on it. A time capsul for sure.. I would not hesitate to say there may never be another one like it -anywhere. I will make a thread for it soon. Thanks for all the nice comments! Steve you missed it! 😁
Air206 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Air206 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-28-2015 at 4:16pm
Rubbin' it in, Rod..... that's OK. I deserve it - She's a beauty!
Trailer looks great with the right fender color and hubs.
velde99 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote velde99 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-28-2015 at 4:20pm
Steve-- RoFR right? I'll take great care of it! Will keep in original and like new.
phatsat67 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phatsat67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-28-2015 at 6:13pm
Very nice. That thing is truly amazing.
velde99 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote velde99 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-28-2015 at 6:17pm
Thanks Zach!
Airfooter View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Airfooter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-29-2015 at 12:58am
Wow, GREAT find!! I look forward to the new thread on this beauty.
1992 Nautique Excel
phatsat67 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phatsat67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-29-2015 at 9:57am
FYI Rod, Andy is being slow and still working on those decals.
velde99 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote velde99 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-05-2015 at 6:53pm

I just applied the new pin striping- and I am excited how it turned out. starting to look new again!

Has anyone found an good alternative for the side steps? I am not sure if I want to use wood again- just leads to rust! Not a fan of diamond plate- but I saw someone with diamond plate- and it was painted to match trailer, which looked pretty nice!
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-05-2015 at 8:20pm
To do painted diamond plate correctly it should really be welded on prior to paint. Probably too late to go non wood/carpet at this point.
Air206 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Air206 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-05-2015 at 8:53pm
You can do each side in 3 parts - mine is done that way. I don't care for the fit and finish of mine, but it can be pieced in. You can overlap the edges like wood and I would edge it next time..... like Marty did his Aluminum (which I couldn't afford).
phatsat67 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phatsat67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-06-2015 at 11:13am
Make them out of black ABS plastic.
CabanaBoy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CabanaBoy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-06-2015 at 2:16pm
Long Time Member, First Time Posting/Replying.
If you are going to use a "Plastic" material for the steps I would recommend a textured Polyethylene material. Major brand or manufacturers name brand is called Starboard. It is UV stabilized and easy to work with where ABS is normally not UV stabilized.

Sorry the Pictures are not the greatest. I replaced my Teak Swim platform with a custom Starboard Platform.

Hope This Helps.
CabanaBoy
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-06-2015 at 2:30pm
Phil,
Welcome to your first post. Keep the pictures coming. We'd all like to see the rest of the boat. Is it in the diaries? If not, send one in to Keith so he can enter it.

What was wrong with the Teak platform?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
CabanaBoy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CabanaBoy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-06-2015 at 2:33pm
Nothing Wrong with Platform. As you can tell by the name when I Refurbished the entire boat most chrome etc. went to Black. I will try to get the refurb pictures uploaded but it has been a long process. Just ask Zach.
CabanaBoy
phatsat67 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phatsat67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-06-2015 at 2:48pm
Thanks Phil, that's what I meant! I always call it ABS when I mean starboard.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic