NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Ford F150 vs F250

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 234
Author
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-29-2015 at 7:59am
Ken, are you listening?
Originally posted by JMurph JMurph wrote:

We had a Subura Brat while growing up. My dad is about 5' tall on his tip toes, so it fit him perfectly.

John, I think your 2-car plan makes the most sense economically... But something a little more fun to drive (that could double as a fun weekender and still get good mileage for the commute) appeals to me too. I'm not ready for a BMW, Joel- they would want more constant attention than I'm willing to give at this point. Someday.

Don, the Colorado is interesting but small/midsize trucks are not on my radar. Going full size for sure- joe had a good write up comparing the 2... And I want the extra size and capability. The f150 with the 9sp transmission due out in a year is squarely on my radar. Ram ecodiesel returns good numbers but the extra cost of diesel really negates the mileage.

Lots to consider... Won't be making a move anytime soon but fun to think about!
Orlando76 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Orlando76 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-29-2015 at 8:38am
I hate my 3/4 long bed ext cab so much. It's a gasser which is all I'll ever have. But the ride is so stuff, the truck is too big, just a bitch to clean, maintenance is a pain. I need every bit of a 1 ton every day but due to the performance and mpg, I'm stepping down to 1/2 or a Tacoma preferably. I'll suffer by loading and unloading every item I need every morning to keep my weight down. And I'll be buying a commuter Honda for the weekends. I can't stand burning 10mpg when 35mpg will do it, the gas and $ saved goes into the boat.
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-29-2015 at 9:28am
I've debated the one or two car plan forever, as I need a vehicle for work. Even with a Prius, the best case scenario is always just break even, so I've opted to buy a new truck every few years. There's no real savings having a 2nd car for me, even with gas in the high $3s.

My Chevy 1500 gets decent mileage except for when towing. I don't tow very far normally, but when we towed a boat down and back from White Lake last spring, I couldn't believe what a pig it was. I bet it only got 12 mpg. If I towed regularly, I would have a different truck.

Ken's current truck has to have a towing capacity twice what is needed for his boat, so I would think 4 low would be more than adequate for even the worst ramp.

Tim, think Toyota will ever come out with a diesel Tacoma?
Nautique2001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nautique2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-29-2015 at 9:37am
Originally posted by TRBenj TRBenj wrote:

Ken, are you listening?
Originally posted by JMurph JMurph wrote:

We had a Subura Brat while growing up. My dad is about 5' tall on his tip toes, so it fit him perfectly.

John, I think your 2-car plan makes the most sense economically... But something a little more fun to drive (that could double as a fun weekender and still get good mileage for the commute) appeals to me too. I'm not ready for a BMW, Joel- they would want more constant attention than I'm willing to give at this point. Someday.

Don, the Colorado is interesting but small/midsize trucks are not on my radar. Going full size for sure- joe had a good write up comparing the 2... And I want the extra size and capability. The f150 with the 9sp transmission due out in a year is squarely on my radar. Ram ecodiesel returns good numbers but the extra cost of diesel really negates the mileage.

Lots to consider... Won't be making a move anytime soon but fun to think about!

Definitely lots of great feedback for sure, and I appreciate it! I'm hearing the F250 with 6.7 diesel is a great truck, but maintenance and fuel costs are concerning. I do enjoy the zip my F150 has with the Ecoboost. To me, I enjoy the feeling of more low end torque and appreciate the larger size brakes and suspension. Relating to boats, have any of you purchased a boat with a bigger than standard size engine or added HP to your engine? If so, why? I searched and would have bought the python TSC1 , but they're hard to find. I don't necessarily need the extra HP, it's more that I know it's there and the fun factor. Sort of same thought process with a tow vehicle/daily driver.

Ken
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nautique2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-29-2015 at 9:42am
Fuel mileage and cost of the truck aside, would you all purchase and enjoy the F250 Super Duty w/6.7 diesel? It's such a nice truck and I think is just a nice as the Ram diesel. I'm not up on my Chevy or GMC trucks but I'm sure they make some decent and large tow vehicles.
SWANY View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SWANY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-29-2015 at 9:53am
Sure, not figuring money in. Its sharp looking. Makes me think if ford took the super duty front end and used it on all three truck lines the 150 might be even better seller. Front end seems to be the biggest appeal to everyone.
phatsat67 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phatsat67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-29-2015 at 9:54am
Money aside I would have a 3/4 ton diesel for work and something hot and fun for the daily commute.

Like Bruce said, especially if you have a payment on 2 vehicles the car+truck makes no sense which is why I am waiting until the truck is paid off and pick up something that gets good economy although you all know it will probably end up being a few year old 6 speed SRT Challenger instead hahahah.

Sadly, my 1500 bests my dad's 10 6 speed R/T Challenger on highway MPG by 1-2 mpg. Stick cars don't have MDS and the chally is about as aerodynamic as a brick.
peter1234 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote peter1234 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-29-2015 at 9:55am
Tim i have an 09m gas hd2500 and it hauls my formula effortlessly i wouldnt hesitate to find something of that type and i would then go for the amg benz or m5
former skylark owner now a formula but I cant let this place go
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nautique2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-29-2015 at 10:08am
Another thought as it relates to boats, if $ wasn't a factor, would you spend extra to get the 450 in the SN200 over the 343? Would you spend extra to get the 550 in the G25 over the 450? Think we all kind of thirst for that extra HP and torque to move our toys along.

Ken
phatsat67 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phatsat67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-29-2015 at 10:12am
I would buy a 196 and re power with a 550 if money was no option. HP in 200s is pretty pointless. The boat was made to go 36 mph and that's about all it's good for.

Supposedly something better for all around performance and not just 3 event stuff may be on the horizon but that's years out at this point.
Orlando76 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Orlando76 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-29-2015 at 10:24am
Originally posted by Hollywood Hollywood wrote:

There isn't a penis extender out there big enoughn.

Money aside, no I wouldn't. Because every time I see one without a toolbox or 8000+ trailer, this is what I think of.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nautique2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-29-2015 at 10:31am
Have N3 get right on that project, Zach. That 550 in a TSC3 would haul. That would easily be a 60mph boat!!!
JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-29-2015 at 10:42am
Originally posted by Nautique2001 Nautique2001 wrote:

Another thought as it relates to boats, if $ wasn't a factor, would you spend extra to get the 450 in the SN200 over the 343? Would you spend extra to get the 550 in the G25 over the 450? Think we all kind of thirst for that extra HP and torque to move our toys along.

Ken

None of that is what you are talking about - the eco boost is the big engine in the f150. A much more accurate comparison to what you are asking about is moving from a 200 sport with a 409 to a G23 with a 550.

When you have 10 friends out there with you the G23 is nice, but the rest of the time when it is just you and the family you are going to occasionally miss the easy docking, relative speed, relative economy, and ability to fit in your garage. Along with not having the rest of the people on the lake laughing at you trying to slalom behind the g23.
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-29-2015 at 10:50am
Good analogy, Joe.

Ken, I meant are you listening regarding the Subaru Brat recommendation. Might be a good fit for your small stature.
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-29-2015 at 10:52am
+1

The bigger the truck the smaller you are in proportion Skip.

Bigger is better. More power! You sound like a total meathead.
phatsat67 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phatsat67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-29-2015 at 10:55am
Joe, the G23 with the 550 will foot!!! haha. Preeeettty sure none of our customers with a G23 really know or care how to slalom ski.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nautique2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-29-2015 at 11:02am
Originally posted by TRBenj TRBenj wrote:

Good analogy, Joe.

Ken, I meant are you listening regarding the Subaru Brat recommendation. Might be a good fit for your small stature.

Zach, what do you have to say about Tim's comment????
phatsat67 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phatsat67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-29-2015 at 11:03am
Better than a fat guy in a little car ha.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nautique2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-29-2015 at 11:06am
You won't find the yellow pages in either my boat or truck!
phatsat67 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phatsat67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-29-2015 at 11:07am
I don't need it in the boat now with that new style driver's seat!!! Bolster stays down too ha.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nautique2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-29-2015 at 11:11am

+1

So where are you with power these days, Sally?
phatsat67 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phatsat67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-29-2015 at 11:14am
Originally posted by Nautique2001 Nautique2001 wrote:

+1

So where are you with power these days, Sally?

Caddy.. He usually just borrows his fiance's Jeep.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nautique2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-29-2015 at 11:21am
HW, nice to know after 10+ years, you and I can still give each other a lot of sh#t! I was getting worried you grew up and matured. Keep on being you my friend!
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-29-2015 at 11:45am
Go buy the bro-dozer already. Let us know the first time you accidentally put gasoline in it.
phatsat67 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phatsat67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-29-2015 at 11:46am
Lol
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nautique2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-29-2015 at 12:00pm
Couldn't be worse than pumping diesel into a gas engine. That a way to blow a serious smoke screen!!!
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-29-2015 at 12:04pm
You'll only do that once! Luckily I lived close to the station so it never got to the engine. Only realized it when I went back to fill the other car and remembered I was just at the same pump. My Avalanche is working out well but no way would I want to drive it everyday,not because of gas but because it's too big. Truck fully loaded pulling the Shamrock which had stuff in it too I got 10 mpg @75 mph,going home empty I got 19.
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
phatsat67 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phatsat67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-29-2015 at 12:30pm
Not too shabby Gary. Those 5.3's are pretty decent on fuel unloaded. It's just around town you really can't overcome the accelerating a 5000-6000 lb vehicle.
weitekampt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote weitekampt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-30-2015 at 12:25am
I'm baaaaccckk!! hahahaha

Ken, money aside and common sense still thrown out the window....yes I would definitely buy a diesel pickup 3/4 ton or heavier. Power just sitting on reserve is very handy while towing and knowing you can strap a house to your truck and move it is cool. These trucks are a pleasure to drive as long as it isn't a 1 ton long bed (like my dumba$$ has). They have a funny flex to them on some pavements and shake the lunch right out of you! I think if you were going to get a 3/4 ton shortbed, you would have a perfect vehicle. That is what I originally shopped for but found this land yacht instead. My truck is longer than my boat! One thing you will notice on these trucks is the close gear ratio on 1-3 gear. This truck is horrible on snow compared to my old truck and I attribute it to first gear being so tall. It just blows the tires loose. It is very similar to driving a truck with a 4.10 gears....a pain! I jam thru the first 3 gears and I am only going 25mph! that is why it does so well getting heavy loads moving. It is a bit of a nuisance driving around town honestly but you get used to it. You would think that it would be a rocket off the line but it isn't in my opinion compared to other trucks because it has to go thru 3 gears with basically no boost being built because there is no engine load. Once it hits 4th, gets in the powerband, and builds boost generally 15lbs or more....you better grab your beer because something is gonna spill if you don't! In the year I have owned this truck I have never floored it until Christmas when I realized I forgot to pack my 2year old daughters taggie! CODE RED so I gave it some grief and we were gone! IMPRESSIVE! So yes, the 400hp and 800tq this model has will get the job done nicely! It sounds like a Honda doing it which sucks a big one, but it will move that 8800lbs whale down the road effortlessly.

If you get on some forums and read about the 6.7 you will find it has some issues like all diesels do. Nothing to really lose sleep over as long as you don't void your warranty. the tranny is spectacular and the engine brake is a bonus. I actually drive in tow/haul around town. Works super! The other thing you have to be aware of with these newer engines with DPF (diesel particulate filter) is the regeneration process. If the warning comes up on the dash that it is "cleaning exhaust filter", open another beer and you need to drive at speed for another 10-15 miles until it is complete and NEVER park on grass if it is doing a regen. You may be calling the insurance company for a new truck or buffing out smoke damage if you know what I mean.

they are awesome machines, but they definitely are not turn key vehicles like your current pickup. you have to do your homework and understand how crappy EGR, DPF, DEF, and all the other emissions stuff works and why. If you constantly drive your diesel everyday and let it get to operating temperature, you should be happy for many years. But if you let it sit in the shed all dolled up most of the time like I do, you need to be aware of what may go wrong. We live 20 minutes from anything so when we do use it, it gets warm which is a good thing.

If you are going to pick up a powerstroke, I strongly encourage you to take the real plunge and get a 2015!!! Bigger and better turbo which is a huge deal! This current turbo runs out of steam at 2800rpm! It is a known downfall. Now I don't drag race my truck so it isn't a problem but if you were ever pulling a heavy load up Mont Eagle, you may get pi$$ed! The injectors are different too and the high pressure CP4.2 fuel pump is upgraded which is also very important! It is just a better outfit....I would love to trade up to a 15 but I already pissed all my money into the wind and I'm broke as a joke!

The duramax/Allison trans is a great setup for chevy and has been for many years. If you can stand driving a truck that can barely haul a pillow in the bed and has a interior that looks like Playskool designed it....knock yourself out cupcake... but I can't stand riding in those rattle traps. I had my 02 superduty until a year ago and it NEVER had a squeak in it which amazed me since I was one of the lucky people that had to have the cab removed for a injector repair one time! But the duramax is pretty spectacular except for their fuel delivery issues when it is cold! bring a blanket because it will gel up on you if you don't know what you're doing.

The ram is very nice since they redesigned the interior. I would love to own a 3500 dually with the heavy frame riding on airbags. Pretty neat design. And the Aisin tranny is awesome from what I hear. But since you are looking at the 2500 version, you won't get those options. But the interior is very nice and it has the good ol Cummins!

I hope Im not boring you with diesel info, but these are all issues you have to be aware of. You can't bee bop around in these trucks and not have problems with EGR plugging up and giving you fits. Those days of versatility are gone. Yes, if price and common sense wasn't a issue I would most certainly have a diesel simply because of overkill. the brakes on my superduty are AWESOME compared to the past models. They ride amazingly well and do get respectable mileage if you drive under 60. No joke, speed up and you will get ticked off again!

Good luck with your decision. I encourage you to drive both the gas and diesel in comparable trucks and really do a gut check when you decide. It is all personal opinion and how much expendable money you have. they can be a royal pain in the butt but they will definitely make you happy towing!

Joel and Alan, it just doesn't seem right not to be talking about this manly stuff without a beer in hand sitting around the campfire!

Oh, by the way...the beer comments were just a joke...I don't do that but I threw that in for laughter!
1993 SkiNautique ProTec
2009 Boatmate trailer.
1240 hours on meter.
1993 Ski Nautique
DayTony View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DayTony Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-30-2015 at 2:24am
I didn't quite get a chance to read through every response here but my recommendation to anyone thinking about a new vehicle. my perspective from working on and around them for some time now is don't get caught up in the ford, dodge, chevy, toyota Bit, seriously.
If you look at it from a perspective of a mechanic. EVERY vehicle on the road is a piece of junk, the only difference is one can be a bit more glorified than another.sure there are a few exceptions like jaguars great ideas of positive grounds and the renaults 3 lug nuts, and well; Yugos. But everything has its own group that show up a little late on the bus that looks different and the windows are always licked clean.
SO buy what YOUR comfortable driving, What YOU can afford to buy and YOU can afford to fix. and if you stick in those three guidlinges you'll be a happy automobile owner.

That being said. If you plan to use a truck for what a truck is made for, do yourself a favor and get a 3/4 ton, anything less you will be doing your mechanic the favor. 1/2 ton truck parts are substantially smaller and less heavy duty all around. From the transmissions to the radiators ball joints and steering. everything is light duty in comparison. My 05 Ram Cummins has lasted me 125K so far with not a thing done to the engine but a Serp belt, and annual fuel filters. I did however do a set of balljoints at about 110K and just replaced my axle joints second time around. had a recall done on the steering once but that was fixed on their dime. and aside from oil changes every 10K miles ive done the brakes a few times. trucks payed for a long time ago and still gets me there and back in comfort and about 20 Mpg i cant complain about it one bit. I actually traded in my 06 1/2 ton chevy for it after having it a year when i realized it wasnt enough truck for me. some people think its a downgrade because i traded an 06 for an 05 but i considered it a major upgrade.
1988 Barefoot nautique-454
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 234
  Share Topic