Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Proper screws for vinyl rub rail?

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
dangerwil View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dangerwil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Proper screws for vinyl rub rail?
    Posted: January-22-2015 at 10:11am
I was thinking about ordering these.

truss head 1 1/4 ss
Morfoot View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Morfoot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-22-2015 at 10:49am
I'd say as long as they're stainless you're good to go!
"Morfoot; He can ski. He can wakeboard.He can cook chicken.He can create his own self-named beverage, & can also apparently fly. A man of many talents."72 Mustang "Kermit",88 SN Miss Scarlett, 99 SN "Sherman"
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-22-2015 at 11:07am
You sure you want to use vinyl/rubber and not the original aluminum? The latter looks much better- they're even starting to revert back to it on newer boats.
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-22-2015 at 12:24pm
Originally posted by Morfoot Morfoot wrote:

I'd say as long as they're stainless you're good to go!

They are 305 SS. Not as good as 316 but will work. Don't be surprised if you see some rust with the 305. Personally I'd go with the slight extra cost of 316.

Yes, as Tim mentioned, why not the original aluminum?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
storm34 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote storm34 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-22-2015 at 5:52pm
Agree with original...I vote you need something with a little shine to blend the metal flake deck and gel hull together.
dangerwil View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dangerwil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-22-2015 at 9:23pm
Not really a fan of the aluminium. Mine is in really bad shape too. Going with standard taco rub rail with a black nylon rope insert will look nice. Just looking forward to getting past the gel coating and on to assembly.
JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-22-2015 at 9:55pm
Originally posted by dangerwil dangerwil wrote:

Not really a fan of the aluminium. Mine is in really bad shape too. Going with standard taco rub rail with a black nylon rope insert will look nice. Just looking forward to getting past the gel coating and on to assembly.

The boat is nice enough for new aluminum - black nylon Will absolutely make that boat look hacked
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-22-2015 at 11:40pm
Originally posted by JoeinNY JoeinNY wrote:

black nylon Will absolutely make that boat look hacked

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
dangerwil View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dangerwil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-23-2015 at 4:58am
Boat was already hacked up when I got it. My goal is not to restore to original, just build a nice boat that I like. Hopefully chicks dig it

DrCC View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrCC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-23-2015 at 2:30pm
Yes,   Chicks will dig it.

I think they would dig it more with the 1 1/4" alum.

But if you do install the vinyl, remember that the screws are to act as a hanger only.   If you tighten them down you will wind up with the ripple effect.
CrazyCanuck View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CrazyCanuck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-24-2015 at 12:38am
Would not a fine thread be better for grabbing the fiberglass?
https://encrypted-tbn1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRtW3vJrMHLdqBzndt9VX3oOpBuRopGlzKq9Ea7pAO7wnTuoD8E8g
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-24-2015 at 1:07am
Originally posted by DrCC DrCC wrote:

But if you do install the vinyl, remember that the screws are to act as a hanger only.   If you tighten them down you will wind up with the ripple effect.

Some good boats use flat aluminum strips like 1/8 x 1/2 in the rub rail channel to stop that . It's going to add some extra work to the job,you will need more mounting screws than the original used too
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-24-2015 at 9:12am
Originally posted by CrazyCanuck CrazyCanuck wrote:

No, with a fine tread, the difference between the major dia. and the root dia. is less than a coarse so in glass, they would not give you the needed "bite". Besides, in a type A truss head tapping screw, only one thread pitch is made. On a #8, the pitch is .164". You may be thinking about "drywall" screws!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Morfoot View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Morfoot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-24-2015 at 10:55am
I agree with the above comments on going back with the aluminum strip...With metal flake Gel Coat The Aluminum rub rail will really make it pop more than the black rope/rail. Look at it as more bling on the boat!
"Morfoot; He can ski. He can wakeboard.He can cook chicken.He can create his own self-named beverage, & can also apparently fly. A man of many talents."72 Mustang "Kermit",88 SN Miss Scarlett, 99 SN "Sherman"
DrCC View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrCC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-24-2015 at 12:31pm
I think of these as being "proper" in a 1" #8

I had the same alum. vs vinyl argument with myself 10 yrs ago.

I knew that chicks would dig the alum. BUT I also knew that if anyone let the boat even touch the dock with my brand new alum. I would then "freak-out". So now I just feel warm and cozy when the vinyl/rope touches the dock all the time.

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-24-2015 at 12:43pm
Al,
I've never seen flat heads in the aluminum rub rail. They have always been oval heads??

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-24-2015 at 12:54pm
[QUOTE=dangerwil] Boat was already hacked up when I got it. My goal is not to restore to original, just build a nice boat that I like.

It was hacked then, it is not now -   to me the rub rail is not an orignal or not question... its just a nice boat that looks great vs. A nice boat that has a big bulbous plastic bumper around it that looks completely out of place.   Its your boat and it can be undone, but as a guy with more than a couple of boats from that era that have later model rub rail put on them I can tell ya it sticks out like rudolfs red nose. Nothing short of full wetsand and buff on one of these boats makes a bigger difference than fresh aluminum rub rail.
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-24-2015 at 1:06pm
Originally posted by dangerwil dangerwil wrote:

Boat was already hacked up when I got it. My goal is not to restore to original, just build a nice boat that I like.

I'm really not following you. Do you mean if you buy an already hacked up boat it means you need to continue in that fashion? However, the bottom line is you like the boat. Enjoy it.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
CrazyCanuck View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CrazyCanuck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-24-2015 at 1:44pm
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

Originally posted by CrazyCanuck CrazyCanuck wrote:

No, with a fine tread, the difference between the major dia. and the root dia. is less than a coarse so in glass, they would not give you the needed "bite". Besides, in a type A truss head tapping screw, only one thread pitch is made. On a #8, the pitch is .164". You may be thinking about "drywall" screws!

No, not drywall screws...lol
When I put mine back on I added extra screws and the coarse ones made some cracking sounds on the way in, so I had some stainless fine thread screws mixed in with a bunch my dad gave me. I used them and they seemed to work better, but pre drilling also worked. Just thought I'd ask, in case there was specific screw I was supposed to have used....
I did not help that the PO had put some rough ugly ones in there and they were loose and not holding at all.
https://encrypted-tbn1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRtW3vJrMHLdqBzndt9VX3oOpBuRopGlzKq9Ea7pAO7wnTuoD8E8g
DrCC View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrCC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-24-2015 at 5:57pm
Yes Pete, I should have been more specific.

Flat head as per thread title.

Oval head for proper alum. rub rail.

DrCC View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrCC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-18-2017 at 3:11pm
And,   I just woke-up this morning (well,actually 5.5 hrs. ago) and realized there is one (1) thing I DO NOT LIKE about the vinyl/rope rail.
It, (the rope) stays wet.   So, when I put my Angola canvas back on after a busy 1/2 day of looking at real estate, the inside of the canvas gets all wet and soggy right around the rope area.
So, do I just get a power inverter and take along a shop-vac or just screw-on some one inch heater hose ?

Keep it....from sinkin'
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic