NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

ACME 540 or 542 for show skiing?

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <12
Author
IAughtNaut View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IAughtNaut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-22-2015 at 4:17pm
Originally posted by OldSchoolBlue84 OldSchoolBlue84 wrote:

You guys are killing me about all the benefits and performance out of the 540 It's going to be a long couple of months before I try my new 540 out At least I could stare at it on the trailer
you're gonna find that the trailer performance on the 540 is incredible. my dad put one on his '75 and it'll go 80 on the trailer now, I never remember it doing over 70 before.
bring the ruckus
2000 Pro Air
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-22-2015 at 4:26pm
Office, friend, neighbor, brother. Ski club member? Gotta get creative.
OldSchoolBlue84 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OldSchoolBlue84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-22-2015 at 11:31pm
Originally posted by IAughtNaut IAughtNaut wrote:

Originally posted by OldSchoolBlue84 OldSchoolBlue84 wrote:

You guys are killing me about all the benefits and performance out of the 540 It's going to be a long couple of months before I try my new 540 out At least I could stare at it on the trailer
you're gonna find that the trailer performance on the 540 is incredible. my dad put one on his '75 and it'll go 80 on the trailer now, I never remember it doing over 70 before.

If my wife's behind the V8 Jeep it will see 90!
seacamper View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote seacamper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-23-2015 at 6:29pm
Well I'll be hornswaggeled. That is a big prop. I lapped it on as per Pete's instructions (minus the blue stuff) and I am ready to try it tomorrow. Glad I did it because the cutlass bracket needed to be tightened.
1980 Ski Nautique Boat Bar
1988 Mastercraft Tristar Open Bow
1988 Mastercraft Tristar Closed Bow
1969 Seacamper Houseboat
1986 Harris Pontoon
2004 Seadoo GTX SC + Flydive Xboard
1999 Adventurecraft
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IAughtNaut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-23-2015 at 6:43pm
2 things-

Please post an update after the first time you drive it. If possible, have one of the boys video the maiden voyage, and don't be afraid to get after it. Wake is not so important, your reaction is what I'm looking for.

Take a couple laps around the lake to get used to it before you try to pull a skier. Trust me.
bring the ruckus
2000 Pro Air
gmars70970 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gmars70970 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-24-2015 at 4:27pm
A video would be great !

I'm currently swaying between the 540 & 542 for my 1980 boat.

Be great to see the performance and wake.
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-24-2015 at 4:44pm
542 shouldn't be a consideration on a 2gen unless you run exclusively with a lot of weight or are only pulling big loads (show skiing). Even then, the 540 will perform admirably. Wake shape won't be different between the 2.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gmars70970 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-24-2015 at 5:04pm
Thanks for the advice.

I've been getting mixed information regarding the right prop. Got an e-mail from wakemakers who recommended the 542.

Read on a few forums the 540 would be a good prop. I've spoken to Nautique Scotland today who are going to get back to me with their recommendations. But I'm expecting them to advise on the 540 also.
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-24-2015 at 5:25pm
They're trying but nobody has tested more props on these boats than right here on CCF.
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-24-2015 at 5:30pm
Originally posted by gmars70970 gmars70970 wrote:

Got an e-mail from wakemakers who recommended the 542.

Graeme,
Unless Tim is posting about props on Wakemakers, don't listen to them!!

This is an understatement:
Originally posted by Hollywood Hollywood wrote:

nobody has tested more props on these boats than right here on CCF.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gmars70970 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-24-2015 at 5:38pm
That's my decision made, it's defo a 540 for me then.
Any advice I've received on this forum has always been spot on.

I'll see if I can find a UK supplier. Cheapest I could find imported from the US is costing $665 !

Thanks again
Morfoot View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Morfoot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-24-2015 at 6:24pm
I think either way you'll be more than elated over the OEM prop no matter what you go with....

Bottom line is WHAT are you going to use it for. I've changed a few props at several mini's testing to see what different props will do to various boats owned by guys here.... many of said props came from Trbenj who is the prop Guru around here and who has a wall full of different props. His recommendations are top notch and guys go to HIM for suggestions. The above threads back up what we all have learned from using the various props on different CC's. In this scenario I'd say this forum probably knows more than the dealer. We're the guys still running 60 yr old boats.

Multiple skiers, wakeboarding with a loaded down boat -   542

Slalom skiing, cruising, more top end    -    540
"Morfoot; He can ski. He can wakeboard.He can cook chicken.He can create his own self-named beverage, & can also apparently fly. A man of many talents."72 Mustang "Kermit",88 SN Miss Scarlett, 99 SN "Sherman"
seacamper View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote seacamper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-25-2015 at 2:13am
Originally posted by IAughtNaut IAughtNaut wrote:

2 things-

Please post an update after the first time you drive it. If possible, have one of the boys video the maiden voyage, and don't be afraid to get after it. Wake is not so important, your reaction is what I'm looking for.

Take a couple laps around the lake to get used to it before you try to pull a skier. Trust me.

Well it was kind of like this:

And this:

All wrapped into one.
1969 Seacamper Houseboat
1986 Harris Pontoon
1999 Adventurecraft
backfoot100 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote backfoot100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-25-2015 at 9:45am
OMG, ROFLMAO
I just spit out some coffee
When people run down to the lake to see what's making that noise, you've succeeded.

Eddie
seacamper View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote seacamper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-25-2015 at 10:19am
Really,"Wow" is all I have to say. I went with the 542, and I have to tell you it really performed. It really increased hole shot, speed control, "traction" (it just seemed like the tail did not get pulled around as easy) and I really like the fact it stops the boat easier. I did not notice reverse being different yet, but I pulled kids on it for about an hour or so, and I would say that it improved the effectiveness/usability of this narrow body boat by about 25 to 30%. I really did not check the top end speed because by the time I was satisfied the installation was ok and replaced my shaft packing, kids were all over the place looking for a run, and there were no high speed acts. One of the Bonifays was there, and took it out while I took a break and put it through a few runs and he came back pretty excited as well. Unlike me, he grew up around the 2nd generation boats, and had moved on to modern equipment, so he had not really had a chance to experience the difference new prop technology could have on an old boat.
I will say that I used to use the tach to back up the speedos, with the 1:1 ratio, so 1500 was 15 mph for the slower acts, yesterday 1600-1700 was 22ish for the wake boarders.
It was used last night as the pick up boat for a night show at the Water Ski Hall of Fame, where the lake is very narrow and there are buoys all over the place, and I really felt like the "just above idle" traction or close in dock maneuvering was much easier.
Thanks guys for all the info. I will try and post some real pics or video as I get it.
Tom
1969 Seacamper Houseboat
1986 Harris Pontoon
1999 Adventurecraft
phatsat67 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phatsat67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-25-2015 at 10:43am
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IAughtNaut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-25-2015 at 11:31am
my dad's quote after his first run- I had to reach over the side and pull the stripes back up about about two feet. haha. glad you like it
bring the ruckus
2000 Pro Air

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gmars70970 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-04-2015 at 11:59am
Sim sill trying to source an Acme 540 in the UK to avoid paying the import tax.
Not in a major hurry as it will probably be late March early April before I brave the Scottish water.

Was offered a 4 blade prop today?
4 blade
12.5 x 15.5
reconned prop
£250
Would this be a cheaper alternative or should I hold out for the Acme 540?

phatsat67 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phatsat67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-04-2015 at 12:38pm
Way too much pitch. You'd be better off with the stock propeller.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gmars70970 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-28-2015 at 12:19pm
I've finally taken the plunge, parted with the cash, and now waiting on my new Acme 540 prop to be delivered !

Coming all the way from sunny USA to cold/wet Scotland.
Bring on the summer 👍
seacamper View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote seacamper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-28-2015 at 11:28pm
Awesome! When you run it, let us know what you think!!!
1969 Seacamper Houseboat
1986 Harris Pontoon
1999 Adventurecraft
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <12
  Share Topic