NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Courtesy lighting Whadyathink?

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
JPASS View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JPASS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Courtesy lighting Whadyathink?
    Posted: December-21-2014 at 9:05am
Our boat came with some tiny incandescent bulbs in a clear tube below the side combs. Looks OK at night, but the light was dim and more yellow than white. We wanted some nicer lighting.

I found these waterproof flexible LED strips online. They had great reviews.

Lighting runs from the rear seat to up under the bow on the port side. Now when you lift the spotter chair you'll have light to see underneath.

Starboard side runs from rear bench to below the dash pod. Lights up the foot-well really nice.

Finished the install yesterday. What do you think?

'92 Correctcraft Ski Nautique
Smithfamily View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Smithfamily Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-21-2014 at 9:18am
I like it. What was the cost?
Js
JPASS View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JPASS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-21-2014 at 9:26am
Originally posted by Smithfamily Smithfamily wrote:

I like it. What was the cost?

$9 per 16.2' roll of LEDS. I used 2 and cut off the excess.
$10 for terminal ends I needed.
$6 for 5200 to stick it to the underside of the hull fiberglass.

So less than $40 for everything.

peter1234 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote peter1234 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-21-2014 at 10:28am
looks great .
former skylark owner now a formula but I cant let this place go
barefootjames View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote barefootjames Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-21-2014 at 10:40am
Did you attach the LED strips to the back side of the interior panel, or higher on the fiberglass?   Did you use a relay, or did you connect the LED strips directly to the output of the dash panel?
2005 Super Air Nautique Team Edition Blue/Black Reverse Color Hull
1997 Ski Nautique White/Blue/Black Sold
1997 Ski Nautique White/Black - Sold
1991 Barefoot Nautique White/Medium Blue/Light Blue - Sold
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-21-2014 at 11:17am
Where's the link for where you bought the roll of led's?
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
Morfoot View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Morfoot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-21-2014 at 11:46am
Fantastic Idea ...Great minds think alike.    They look Good John.... I did the same thing to 'Miss Scarlett' last winter as I had no interior lighting what so ever. I wired a mine to a lighted (when on) toggle switch. Guy's to power some accessories (radio, LED lighting) I installed a terminal strip under the dash. I ordered mine of Ebay and they come in several different colors. Some will even change colors when powered..... In fact I liked the finished product so much I did the same thing to my Victory Vegas.

"Morfoot; He can ski. He can wakeboard.He can cook chicken.He can create his own self-named beverage, & can also apparently fly. A man of many talents."72 Mustang "Kermit",88 SN Miss Scarlett, 99 SN "Sherman"
JPASS View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JPASS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-21-2014 at 12:27pm
Originally posted by barefootjames barefootjames wrote:

Did you attach the LED strips to the back side of the interior panel, or higher on the fiberglass?   Did you use a relay, or did you connect the LED strips directly to the output of the dash panel?

Strips come with really weak double sided adhesive tape on them. I dabbed 5200 on the backside of the strip and installed them to the underside of the top cap so they shine straight down.

Powered them straight off an accessory breaker with the ground going to a ground bus under the dash.

JPASS View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JPASS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-21-2014 at 12:33pm
Originally posted by Gary S Gary S wrote:

Where's the link for where you bought the roll of led's?

The ones I used are these

The ones that change color that Morfoot mentioned can be found here

I still have a ton of masking tape holding the LEDs up. I'm hoping they'll be a little brighter once the tape is removed.

KRoundy View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KRoundy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-21-2014 at 1:11pm
That is definitely an upgrade. Very nice!
Previous: 1993 Electric Blue/Charcoal Ski Nautique
Current: 2016 Ski Nautique 200 Open Bow
Hansel View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hansel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-21-2014 at 7:58pm
Not to thread-jack, but Tim, is that white NA Miata I see next to Miss Scarlet in the garage yours?
Morfoot View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Morfoot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-21-2014 at 10:00pm
Jamin, good eye. Yes it is indeed a Miata. 1996 model with 215k miles on it. She's a little worse for wear cosmetically but she gets 30mpg and its about a 70 mile round trip to work and back.
"Morfoot; He can ski. He can wakeboard.He can cook chicken.He can create his own self-named beverage, & can also apparently fly. A man of many talents."72 Mustang "Kermit",88 SN Miss Scarlett, 99 SN "Sherman"
Hansel View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hansel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-22-2014 at 2:56am
Cool! I bought a '91 when I moved to Kentucky this spring. Been an awesome car so far and I love it. So much bang for the buck and perfect for an afternoon drive in the country.

Back to LED lighting...
skutsch View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skutsch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-22-2014 at 9:41am
Not a very good tow vehicle though...
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-22-2014 at 9:59am
Originally posted by Hansel Hansel wrote:

Cool! I bought a '91 when I moved to Kentucky this spring. Been an awesome car so far and I love it. So much bang for the buck and perfect for an afternoon drive in the country.

Originally posted by skutsch skutsch wrote:

Not a very good tow vehicle though...

Jamin,
I agree with Steve and am also wondering what the 91 has to do with courtesy lighting!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-22-2014 at 11:58am

Aw Pete lighten up it's Christmas,Tim's picture after all did include his Miata
I guess it's all how you look at it,this guy might say the same with
what we tow with and after all people tow with MG's and Goldwings
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
Hansel View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hansel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-22-2014 at 12:45pm
Pete, I guess I thought that with the boat and the bike all blinged out maybe the Miata was next . Didn't mean to go astray, and I am going to keep this thread in mind if/when the interior lighting gets an upgrade.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-22-2014 at 1:06pm
Jamin,
You're fine. I was just curious as to the direction you were heading with the 91 car comment.

Gary,
That's sure a fantastic tow vehicle. However, I'd hate to think about the MPG he get's as well as ramp maneuvering.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-22-2014 at 1:48pm
I don't know but I'll bet it doesn't change much,load or no load wise,I got 9 going to Florida, more than doubled it coming home at 19!
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-22-2014 at 2:14pm
Originally posted by Gary S Gary S wrote:

I don't know but I'll bet it doesn't change much,load or no load wise,

I'd say the same since it's a diesel with tons of torque. I know with all the diesels I've had, they don't care if they are pulling a trailer or not as well as having the AC on or off. That big rig certainly wouldn't.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic