NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Another SN followed me home!

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 345
Author
63 Skier View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 63 Skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-04-2015 at 12:53pm
Vic, do you have side pipes on your trailer? I definitely know about riding up on a bunk or fender on the steeper ramps, but the guides shouldn't allow you to get off center by more than a few inches, not sure how you get turned completely sideways.
'63 American Skier - '98 Sport Nautique
cbr1000dude View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cbr1000dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-04-2015 at 4:19pm
My wife says the secret is to leave it in gear so it steers! If she puts it in neutral at the last moment (or reverse is even worse) it goes sideways. She taught me how to drive a boat when we first got married. She was 16 when she was driving a Chris Craft on lake Tahoe almost 50 years ago!
ArtCozier View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ArtCozier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-04-2015 at 4:37pm
CBR, that post should score you a lot of points at home!!!
"Art"
63 Skier View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 63 Skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-04-2015 at 4:52pm
All except the "over 50 years ago" part. I think he should have said "she was 16 and that was over 23 years ago", making the Mrs. the universally accepted 39 years old!
'63 American Skier - '98 Sport Nautique
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-04-2015 at 5:05pm
Damn auto correct!
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
oldcuda View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldcuda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-04-2015 at 5:06pm
Over 50 years!! You might as well go to the closet and get the pillow and blanket and throw it on the couch now.
forvicjr View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote forvicjr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-04-2015 at 5:40pm
Originally posted by 63 Skier 63 Skier wrote:

Vic, do you have side pipes on your trailer? I definitely know about riding up on a bunk or fender on the steeper ramps, but the guides shouldn't allow you to get off center by more than a few inches, not sure how you get turned completely sideways.

"63" last season I loaded and unloaded without guides. They had rusted at the frame and my machinest friend built me new ones. It took time though he had to work it in on his CNC bender. It is better now but the guide's are not tight to the boat and still allow it to get somewhat crossed up. The wind and hurry and load due to high traffic in and out the ramp makes things hard.Also the ramps here are at a very shallow angle. My front tires on my trk is like four feet from the water when backed in to load.
“Tact is the ability to step on a man's toes without messing up the shine on his shoes.” ― Harry S. Truman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cbr1000dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-04-2015 at 11:19pm

Back to sanding the top gelcoat back to original color. Good thing I'm retired, this takes forever!
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-05-2015 at 12:44am
Originally posted by forvicjr forvicjr wrote:

my machinest friend built me new ones. It took time though he had to work it in on his CNC bender. It is better now but the guide's are not tight to the boat and still allow it to get somewhat crossed up.

Vic,
Maybe he didn't bend them in as tight a radius as the originals? The originals were 1&1/4" scd. 40 pipe bent with a heavy wall bender most commonly used by electricians.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
forvicjr View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote forvicjr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-05-2015 at 1:29am
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

my machinest friend built me new ones. It took time though he had to work it in on his CNC bender. It is better now but the guide's are not tight to the boat and still allow it to get somewhat crossed up.

Vic,
Maybe he didn't bend them in as tight a radius as the originals? The originals were 1&1/4" scd. 40 pipe bent with a heavy wall bender most commonly used by electricians.

Pete. They were an exact match, he didnt cut them to lenth. Just made the bends. I cut them to match but now the braces that run from the rails to the fenders are broken. Ive welded them once and ground them down smooth and they cracked again beside the weld.😡 so now they have some give to them.
“Tact is the ability to step on a man's toes without messing up the shine on his shoes.” ― Harry S. Truman
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-05-2015 at 9:27am

Ive welded them once and ground them down smooth and they cracked again beside the weld.😡 so now they have some give to them.

Vic,
Maybe you shouldn't have ground down the weld? There's nothing wrong with leaving a good weld unground. I noticed you don't have a prop guard on your trailer. They add rigidity to the rails. Also, some of the CC trailers had gussets welded from the main rails to the cross members at the fenders. What did you weld them with and what prep did you do before welding?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
forvicjr View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote forvicjr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-05-2015 at 10:56pm
Pete Ill PM u. I Dont like hijacking this poor fellas thread.lol

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cbr1000dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-17-2015 at 8:46pm

Swim deck in progress, made my own aluminum brackets, super heavy duty.
Wood is red oak for now. First I made a plywood one, used that as a template to make the oak one, plan to make it from teak once I get better at this. Since these years didn't originally come with swim decks, the measurements and angles are all different from my 90 SN and 88 BFN. Transom curve is very pronounced and compound.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cbr1000dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-17-2015 at 9:00pm

Repainted the white part of boat, too much sanding for me, and damage to gel coat previously repaired. New CF numbers and Ca. stickers. The red part is the original gel coat, still need more sanding and polishing, will need some gel patching, but not too much.
I just couldn't see finishing it without making a swim platform while the gas tank and interior are out of the boat. I love swimming and getting back into the boat from deep water is so much easier with one.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cbr1000dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-21-2015 at 2:17am

Test fit, pretty good even before routing edges and sanding. This is removable with 4 bolts, so it fits in the garage with the trailer.
forvicjr View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote forvicjr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-21-2015 at 3:06am
Son of a $!#&@. Thats nice. Im sending u teak and putting my order in for one to be built. I had some jack @$!# treat mine like a diving board and it pulled away from the screws holding it on. Ive since repaired but would love an original handmade one to replace it.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cbr1000dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-02-2015 at 12:18am

Trying to see where the instruments go, and the spot I thought was original will be obscured by the observers seat back. Anyone know what was the stock set up? This photo posted by another member doesn't show an observers seat in the way.

Perhaps he has a different observers seat.
This seems like the only location that will work.

I made a plexiglass frame for the speedometers, and to cover all the extra holes from the second helm location. I painted the backside red up to the level of the dash, clear above that.
ArtCozier View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ArtCozier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-02-2015 at 10:37am
A '67 wouldn't have had the Plexiglas mount for the speedos unless specifically ordered that way. Also would not have had the double "love seat" for the judge and boat timer. There was a "jump seat" available, a single seat that could be placed either behind the driver or aft of the judge, next to the motor box, for the boat timer to sit on.
"Art"

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cbr1000dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-03-2015 at 9:53pm
I've been laid up since my last post in March, bad back. Finally got it corrected surgically 6/2/15. Suppose to wait 6 weeks to do anything, but yesterday and today I worked on getting the engine running. Long story short, it runs great, but has a bad water leak from a broken end plate on the exhaust log.. Plus another on the bottom rear "L" connector, rotten steel pipe.. I'm pretty happy it starts and runs with easy fixes..
gun-driver View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gun-driver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-03-2015 at 11:47pm
Don't push it, give yourself plenty of time to heal. I had back surgery and felt so great ( best I felt in 20 years) I ended up pushing it a little to soon and I un-did what the doc did for me. Now it's catching up with me again and I'll probably have to do it again in the not to distant future.
Give it time to heal!!!!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 345
  Share Topic