Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

1964 American Skier questions

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
Guests View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 1964 American Skier questions
    Posted: November-23-2014 at 2:10pm
Im thinking of buying this 1964 American Skier. The seller is looking for $1800. Needs transmission. A few unoriginal parts including steering wheel and trailer which is also missing tire. Any thoughts on this price. Also How difficult is it to find a transmission for this boat?
SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-23-2014 at 2:25pm
I would focus more on the stringers than the tranny. If it needs stringers (most likely) then you will spend more on repairs than the asking price.

Search for 'stringer hammer test' on the site to get more info.
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-23-2014 at 4:11pm
Brian,
Keep us informed if you decide on the purchase. I agree with Chris so take a close look at the stringers. Regarding the trans, you will want to look for a Borg Warner Velvet Drive. There should be plenty of them around used and since they are know for their longevity most likely still in usable shape. Does the seller still have the trans? They are rebuildable. You'll be looking for a model 71c. Fantastic Finish Marine in Ohio is a good source for a complete unit or a rebuild. 1 330 273 8291 The original owner used to be an outstanding member here on CCfan. Eric aided plenty of us on trans problems.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Guests View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-23-2014 at 5:29pm
I haven't looked at it yet, but according to the seller its solid and ready to go minus the cosmetics and transmission. Assuming the stingers are good, what do you think its worth? It also looks like its been sitting outside so the chances of them being good are slim.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-23-2014 at 6:42pm
Brian,
Have you looked in the for sale section to see if there are any boats close to the 64 skier? That may be a starting point for a idea on the price. One good thing is the one you are looking at does have the V8. There were a lot of Skier's that came with 6's. The bad is the trans. A rebuild if he has it, will go for about $800.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-23-2014 at 6:47pm
Brian,
I just checked the for sale section. All the pricing seemed high to me with the exception of one going for $1750. I'd say deduct the trans and start at 1K. Has the seller given you any idea of what he wants for it?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Guests View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-23-2014 at 7:49pm
Thanks for all the info Pete, Yea I looked in the for sale section earlier and Offered him $800 based on Trans and the unknown, he countered at $1800. The original price we started at was $2800.
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-23-2014 at 7:53pm
And here I'm thinking 850. You have no idea of engine condition
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-23-2014 at 8:06pm
It's always interesting how some sellers don't want to bring the vehicle to running condition, but still think it should command a certain price.   I'd wait him out. In the meantime, it's buyers market. Enjoy the hunt!
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin
Guests View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-24-2014 at 3:07pm
doesn't look like this one is going to work out
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-24-2014 at 3:21pm
Best to walk away Brian,even though it's full of leaves,hull is filthy dirty and trans is bad he is still awfully proud of it! Maybe after it sits awhile he'll come down to earth because it really is a project boat starting off with a completed 2800 price
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
Guests View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-24-2014 at 5:17pm
Thats what I think Ill do. There will be others. Too bad, this one will probably rot away.
93/70 ccpb View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 93/70 ccpb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-27-2014 at 1:58pm
hello brian pm me if you buy the skier i have some parts from a 1963 classic that might work for you.dan in ohio.
what you dont want to hear from jbear and bill.you cant get in the boat till you get your minute,and they throw you back in water!
Guests View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-27-2014 at 2:22pm
don't think i am going too. tried to reason with the seller with out results. ill email you when i find one. thanks
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic