Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

23ft Fish Nautique opinions wanted??

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
adm1476 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adm1476 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 23ft Fish Nautique opinions wanted??
    Posted: November-14-2014 at 3:21am
I am considering getting a 23ft Fish Nautique. The boat is a 1981 with solid floors and solid stringers.Butsome light rot around the engine bay. It has a fresh water cooled mercruiser 350 in it. Looking for opinions about these boats. I have never had an inboard boat before. I have had several I/O boats though. I am also a car mechanic so I am comfortable with working on the engine. So what is the good and the bad about these boats??
JPASS View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JPASS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-14-2014 at 8:42am
What do you mean by "light rot around the engine bay"? Any pics?

'92 Correctcraft Ski Nautique
Orlando76 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Orlando76 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-14-2014 at 8:51am
The good is that evidently they handle the slop really well for a 23' boat and balance well with the engine in the center. The good is that's it's not an outboard and better yet, not an I/O. The bad.... Well, I'll put $ on it that the light rot in the engine bay goes a lot further south than you're thinking. And boy that's a big boat to rebuild. Have you considered Shamrocks? Ive been in the market for a year for a 22-24' direct drive and have had my hand on a few Fish Nautiques but always saw they same problems that Correct Crafts have if that vintage and Shamrocks seem to hold up better plus the advantage of the keel is far superior to a keeless DD. I'm guessing the FN will top out at 34 mph so that's gonna be much slower than the I/O's you're used too. Unless the manifolds were replaced last month, go ahead and plan on buying a new set as they just don't hold up in salt.
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-14-2014 at 9:07am
Originally posted by Orlando76 Orlando76 wrote:

Unless the manifolds were replaced last month, go ahead and plan on buying a new set as they just don't hold up in salt.

Originally posted by adm1476 adm1476 wrote:

It has a fresh water cooled mercruiser 350 in it.

Well, I'll put $ on it that the light rot in the engine bay goes a lot further south than you're thinking.

I agree that the rot is worse than you think since you can't see it.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Orlando76 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Orlando76 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-14-2014 at 9:19am
True Pete, I was thinking a half loop system where raw water still runs through exhaust.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-14-2014 at 10:03am

True Pete, I was thinking a half loop system where raw water still runs through exhaust.

Yes, he didn't state which fresh water system. Considering it's in a Fish, there's plenty of room for the larger heat exchanger needed for a complete system.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Mountain Man View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mountain Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-14-2014 at 11:47am
The Fish Nautique is a nice boat. I am a former owner of a Shamrock 246 Open (pocket drive - no keel). Was shopping for another one when I purchased a 86-87 vintage Fish. Shamrocks are good boats and the guys over on the "Fish the Classic" forums are great people and willing to help. Hard to go wrong with a Shamrock.   

Regarding the Fish Nautique bulkheads. My understanding is that the engine bulkheads deteriorate rapidly on "ALL" FN's that have actually been used. Bulkhead rot is to be expected and if you don't see it they have probably already been replaced. These bulkheads don't appear to have much structural value, instead they function mostly to isolate the the rest of the boat from engine heat and help collect water and engine fumes for removal. We are using 3/8" Starboard to replace the bulkheads in our boat. Assuming the floors are not soft around the engine compartment, it is an easy replacement. If buying, simply use the existing bulkhead rot as a tool on price negotiation. Always remember - fiberglass does not have any scrap value. Set price on condition of engine, trailer, and hull... in that order.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-14-2014 at 12:33pm
Originally posted by Mountain Man Mountain Man wrote:

We are using 3/8" Starboard to replace the bulkheads in our boat. Assuming the floors are not soft around the engine compartment, it is an easy replacement.

Steve,
Starboard is HDPE so how are you fastening/bonding it in the hull?

Here's a quote from the manufacturer: "must be mechanically fastened, cannot be glued"

How did you decide on the material? Did someone tell you to use it?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Mountain Man View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mountain Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-14-2014 at 2:45pm
Thanks for the note. Would never try to use any form of adhesive on the Starboard..... it simply will not stick. Fortunately, there are square cut stringers and ribs end on the backside of each side panel that exist for mechanical fastening with SS screws.

The resin painted 1/4" plywood(non-marine grade)used by CC was neither air tight or watertight to begin with it looked like the bulkheads where almost an after thought. Remember this is non-structural with respect to hull strength - it was simply a rigid shower curtain to help baffle heat and water. This bulkhead needs to remain removable for access to the underside of sole if needed.

Check out this video of a CC Fish Nautique that was posted up on the Shamrock forum this morning.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RG2RTzHN3Oc

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-14-2014 at 3:21pm

Check out this video of a CC Fish Nautique that was posted up on the Shamrock forum this morning.

Nice looking! Here's a direct link to your FN
Any pictures of the bulkheads?

I'm glad you understand that the HDPE Starboard is not glueable. That's why they make glue containers out of it! BTW, it can be welded.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
dwouncmd View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dwouncmd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-14-2014 at 7:48pm
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

Nice looking! Here's a direct link to your FN
Any pictures of the bulkheads?

I'm glad you understand that the HDPE Starboard is not glueable. That's why they may glue containers out of it! BTW, it can be welded.

Mountain Man, that is a sweet FN.

I wish I had a reason to buy one, I would look at the one in Manteo. I think there is another in the Greenville NC area still on Craig's List that in pieces but sounds like it has had a lot of the work done already.
89 SN
<a href="http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=6567&sort=&pagenum=1" rel="nofollow">7
adm1476 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adm1476 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-15-2014 at 2:24am
Thanks for the info guys. Anything else I should know? Any common problems? By the way this is the one in Manteo, NC. Possible trade for my Aquasport which is very sea worthy and I like a lot.
DayTony View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DayTony Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-25-2014 at 4:18am
havent been around the board for a while but i wanted to chime in about the FN. I purchased a basket case FN two seasons ago, and my first impression is i wanted to love it but i hated it because of a lof of the mechanical issues i was having with mine.
A bit of tinkering and after donating a bit of blood the boat is great and i now love it.

- It is a comfy ride, even in some chop.
- straight inboard direct drive, doesn't get any simpler or more reliable when taken care of correctly.
- you will get much better economy out of this setup than your I/O ever did.

my 79 cruises about 25 knt, and WOT gets me between 29-30 knt.
as far as manifolds, if it needs them take that opportunity to convert the manifolds to fresh water cooled so you never have to do them again.
DONT buy it without taking it for a good ride.
maneuverability is going to take some getting use to because although the deep Vee may ride wonderful at speeds and track straight, it also wants to track straight at low speeds so you need to think before you approach. once you get use to it you wont even think twice about it.
good luck
1988 Barefoot nautique-454
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic