NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Share your Atom knowledge

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
john b View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john b Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Share your Atom knowledge
    Posted: November-10-2014 at 6:12pm
I haven't had a wood boat since a 68? Thompson lapstrake I/O my family had when I was young. I am not ready to buy one with no space to store it and a Mustang iron in the fire, but I have been taken by one in the "for sale" section located near me in Morris IL. It has a 312. I am curious if this is representative of what a really nice one brings. The Mustang is the last project boat I will ever undertake (probably car too after the epic restoration project this summer) but it seems possible to buy a complete and properly restored /maintained Atom judging by what I see. Is this truly the case? I know there are many businesses that will maintain them. I saw an atom at the ACBS booth I worked at McCormick Place last year. It was restored and maintained by a place in the Fox River Valley in Illinois. It was really beautiful. Is the Atom a good choice for classic wood? Any problems or handling issues with the model? I have been thinking I would enjoy one more than an old car I have. The size and beauty of an Atom makes it desirable to me. I loved the "Fin Boat" thread.
1970 Mustang "Theseus' paradox"
If everyone else is doing it, you're too late!

8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-10-2014 at 6:29pm
John,
Since the Atom you are looking at has the 312 in it, it's a later one after CC lengthened the hull. How about a link so I can take a look or PM me the link.

Like any wood boat, the choice is up to the buyer and how he intends on using it. Yes, there are more desirable boats but now we are talking big $$$.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
81nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-10-2014 at 6:32pm
That is Bigwavedave's boat and it sold last week.

The one at MCCormick place last year was an Aqua Skier that belongs to Todd Starr. Fox River Valley Boat Co did the work on it.

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-10-2014 at 6:42pm
Alan,
Thanks for the info. I PM'd John and filled him in on Dave's boat.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
juniorwoody View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote juniorwoody Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-11-2014 at 12:06am
The Fin Boat is on the mend John and will return to the water very soon we hope. Stay away from 327 AMC's, but the fins are a real eye grabber for some.
The value of money spent on new adventure far exceeds the value of money saved for the future
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-11-2014 at 12:28am
Originally posted by juniorwoody juniorwoody wrote:

Stay away from 327 AMC's

Jack,
What do you have against the Gray 327's? The only defect I know of is the thin spot in the exhaust manifolds otherwise they are fantastic runners.

BTW, Crow Custom Cast Welding has the solution for the manifolds.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
john b View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john b Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-11-2014 at 1:28am
My H/M manifolds should be ready at Crow Custom Cast Welding when I get back from Seattle on Friday. I took a chance and had them internally coated with a thermoplastic both in the water jacket and the exhaust passages. It was recommended and reportedly provides a degree of protection in addition to the welding and machining they did. Fingers crossed.

Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote juniorwoody Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-11-2014 at 7:21am
I been throwing money at the manifold problem for about a year now Pete. I have one manifold that has some internal damage, Not real bad. It was that way when I removed it. Thinking about reinstalling it and running it. It was performing well before and I i question whether a little water leaking internally into the exhaust may not be a deal breaker. Does Crow make maniofolds?
The value of money spent on new adventure far exceeds the value of money saved for the future
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-11-2014 at 9:03am

Does Crow make maniofolds?

No, they repair them. They do have a web site. Repair is certainly cheaper that having to go through the process of having them cast from scratch. I've seen a couple of their repairs where the antique manifolds were made from unobtainium!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote juniorwoody Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-11-2014 at 9:21am
What possible problems could occure if run with leakage? Any idea? I did check thier site Pete and may give them a call today thanks.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-11-2014 at 9:26am
Jack,
With water leaking into the exhaust side, there's always a chance that it will find it's way into a cylinder.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote juniorwoody Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-11-2014 at 9:32am
Is there a large chance or a small chance?
SWANY View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SWANY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-11-2014 at 10:26am
[QUOTE=john b] I haven't had a wood boat since a 68? Thompson lapstrake I/O my family had when I was young.

John, any pictures of the Thompson? My first boat I had for 11 years was a 65' sea mate. Good looking boats and the company had a lot of interesting history.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-11-2014 at 10:34am

Is there a large chance or a small chance?

Jack,
Large or small, it's not a chance I would take.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-11-2014 at 10:52am
Big Wave Dave's boat is one of the nicer wood Correct Crafts I've seen. Someone got a great boat.

Jack, did you pick up the Gray engine at Tim's?
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote juniorwoody Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-11-2014 at 11:35am
I did pick up the engine Bruce. I left it home with the hopes of resolving the manifold problem here in fl. I havd the heads reworked and they are with me. I may just swap engines if I need to throw more money into a major repair of a manifold. Taking the other ones off may well expose the same problems with them. It seems the exhaust valves are closed and unlikely to allow water in the ports. When they open it is to let exhaust pressure and gasses out. Might be a way to get the boat back inthe water and give me time to save a little more BS money before the next step.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-11-2014 at 11:41am

It seems the exhaust valves are closed and unlikely to allow water in the ports.

Jack,
They aren't all closed at the same time!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote juniorwoody Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-11-2014 at 12:07pm
Pete, this is what I wrote. Did you speed read it?

It seems the exhaust valves are closed and unlikely to allow water in the ports. When they open it is to let exhaust pressure and gasses out.

Thinking this outward exhaust pressure wouldn't allow water entry. It all happens very quickly and there is gravity taking the water out as well.
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-11-2014 at 12:12pm
Jack, if the manifolds are cracked between the runners and water jackets, you'll end up with water in the cylinder (and then the oil). Even if it didn't enter while running (which it almost always does in my experience), it'll definitely leak in while shut down. There's bound to be a few exhaust valves open on various cylinders for any given engine position... And then you're hydrolocked.
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote juniorwoody Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-11-2014 at 12:28pm
Thanks Tim, I understand that. May be time to give Crow a call.
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote juniorwoody Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-11-2014 at 12:34pm
John, The newer Atoms made from plywood have very little structure and few bulkheads. Replacing plywood on these I feel would be more problematic in that you could easily lose the shape of the hull. Sometime in the late 50's they changed their construction techniques.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-11-2014 at 12:47pm

John, The newer Atoms made from plywood have very little structure and few bulkheads. Replacing plywood on these I feel would be more problematic in that you could easily lose the shape of the hull. Sometime in the late 50's they changed their construction techniques.

Cross bracing frame members is important with any wood hull no matter what the construction is. I did it when I did my Atom until it was upside down on level horses. Constant measuring was important when I replaced all the knee braces even though I only did one side of the frames at one time.

I even braced my X55 when I put the new bottom on it.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-11-2014 at 12:57pm
Originally posted by TRBenj TRBenj wrote:

Jack, if the manifolds are cracked between the runners and water jackets, you'll end up with water in the cylinder (and then the oil). Even if it didn't enter while running (which it almost always does in my experience), it'll definitely leak in while shut down. There's bound to be a few exhaust valves open on various cylinders for any given engine position... And then you're hydrolocked.

Jack,
This is the point I was trying to make. Yes, I did read your explanation but your logic is off. There are several threads about the issue and most found the problem worse during shut down hence me saying all the valves aren't closed at one time. Fill us in with Crow's response. Tim, thanks for your backing up my same thoughts.

If you aren't familiar with the process, they will remove the outer wall of the water jacket where needed. This give them access to the inner wall for the crack repair welding. Then they weld the outer jacket back up.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
john b View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john b Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-11-2014 at 1:39pm
Jack, I just got a call from Buck at Crow Custom Cast Welding this morning. My manifolds are done. It was a 3 week turn around. I dropped them off in person because I had 2 sets thanks to Alan and I wanted to have him examine them and discuss the repair with me. Buck advised against repairing one pair due to the condition and cost, but the cost on the pair he did is what he quoted.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic