Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Looking at 01 SAN

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
Juiced2001 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Juiced2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Looking at 01 SAN
    Posted: November-07-2014 at 11:26am
I'm looking at buying an 01 Super Air Nautique. The boat is in very good condition and seems to be well cared for. The questions I have are about the wake. Is this a good wake for wakeboarding? I've read mixed reviews. My boys are getting better and I was thinking about buying a more wakeboard specific boat. I was also wondering if it's possible to surf this hull as well. Any advice and information is appreciated.
quinner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quinner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-07-2014 at 12:15pm
First concern with that model year is the gauges, particularly the one with the hour meter, they are a known problem and when replaced all previous engine hours will be lost.

That hull will provide an outstanding wakeboard wake, can be weight sensitive a bit though. Most refer to it as rampy with a ton of pop.
JPASS View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JPASS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-07-2014 at 12:20pm
It is my understanding that the super Air has an awesome wake for wakeboarding. The few I've looked at recently seemed to confirm this. I have yet to board behind one, but would love to. I'm not sure how great a boat it is to surf behind, but I believe with the right amount of ballast, it could be done.

Does it still have the digital gauges? Link to the ad?

'92 Correctcraft Ski Nautique

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Juiced2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-07-2014 at 12:48pm
Here's a copy of the add. What do you guys think?

http://dayton.craigslist.org/boa/4748589762.html
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-07-2014 at 1:01pm
Originally posted by Juiced2001 Juiced2001 wrote:

Here's a copy of the add. What do you guys think?

http://dayton.craigslist.org/boa/4748589762.html

NG,
Here's a proper link for everyones convenience.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
quinner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quinner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-07-2014 at 1:13pm
Looks clean in Pics, hard to see if those are original or replacement gauges. If the perfect pass was factory installed it will have it's own hour meter to cross reference from. 390hrs / 14 seasons = 28hr per season average, pretty low but not ridiculous.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Juiced2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-07-2014 at 1:19pm
Any thoughts on price? What is an 01 SAN in great shape, low hours, well cared for worth?
IAughtNaut View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IAughtNaut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-07-2014 at 1:24pm
Gauges look original
bring the ruckus
2000 Pro Air
Treybizttu View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Treybizttu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-07-2014 at 2:14pm
Price seems steep this time of year but it looks like a nice boat.

I've been a huge fan of anything nautique from the late 90s to mid 00s. They have always been one of my favorite boat body styles. Now i have one albeit a turd.
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-07-2014 at 2:34pm
That is probably the most talked about wakeboarding hull of all time.
MI-nick View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MI-nick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-07-2014 at 2:50pm
wakeboard wake is awesome. price seems a little high...if condition is great, i think $22 is a "fair" price and $20 would be "great".
i'm sure you could wake stand behind that boat...but, dont...just...don't...
As far as I can tell, I'm not quite sure...
JPASS View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JPASS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-07-2014 at 3:15pm
I thought the SAN had a belly tank as well?

'92 Correctcraft Ski Nautique
quinner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quinner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-07-2014 at 4:04pm
Center tank first became available in 02', tanks were optional depending on the trim level. That hull with no weight is probably more then enough for "most" wake boarders skill level anyways.

Agree price seems a bit high even if it was spring not fall.
bkhallpass View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkhallpass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-07-2014 at 6:42pm
Well, since I own one of these boats, I guess I"ll chime in.

Where did you see mixed reviews of a 2001 SAN for a Wakeboarding wake. It certainly did not come from anybody that knows anything about wakeboarding.

As Hollywood said, the SAN hull is probably one of the best to date. It was introduced in 95 and, if memory serves, ran through 2006. No other hull in the industry has run that long and there's a reason: it's one
of the best wakeboarding wakes - ever.

To be fair, I will say that wakeboard style has changed, and particularly at the pro level. The SAN wake is not "rampy." In fact, it's a very abrupt wake. It boots the rider into the air, and it boots the rider into inverts and other tricks. Over the years, at the pro level, the riders have increased their speeds close to 10 mph, have increased their line lengths almost 20 feet, and have looked for taller, rampier wakes. At that level, it's become more like launching off a ski jump, than
a search for "pop" from the wake. Of course that means that weekend warriors and hacks also think they
need 4 foot tall wakes, which are far beyond their skill level.   Maybe its one of those hacks who gave the mixed reviews, I don't know.

The fact is that there are probably less than 100 people in the world whose skills exceed the capability of the SAN hull that ran for over 10 years.

The SAN hull is not the best for wake surfing. It requires a surprising amount of weight, and puts the gunnel fairly close to the water. But, it can certainly be done. We surf my 2001. Mike Nunke is an excellent wake surfer and used a 99 SAN for years. Steve Evans used his 2002 predominantly for surfing. Probably the biggest frustration for really good wake surfers, is that it is hard to stretch out the length of the wake and the pocket.

There are other boats that are easier to set up for surf, that will not ride so low in the water, and that offer a longer wake. For example, I've surfed the 211SV with stock ballast, many times. Most of the new 23 and 25 foot boats will be easier to surf, and will also feature a more "rampy" wake that the SAN.

My $.02.

BKH
Livin' the Dream

bkhallpass View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkhallpass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-07-2014 at 6:43pm
Originally posted by JPASS JPASS wrote:

I thought the SAN had a belly tank as well?

Not in 01.

BKH
Livin' the Dream

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic