NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

what size stern cleat?

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
terminaldegree View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote terminaldegree Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: what size stern cleat?
    Posted: November-04-2014 at 11:49pm
Hi All,

My boat's away in storage, and I've been asked to put together an xmas list for the family. Could you tell me what length the stock midships cleat is on my boat? I want to get a "hideaway" style stern cleat for docking.

If you have any specific product suggestion (either for or against), I'm happy to hear it.

Thanks!

1996 Sport Nautique GT40/Acme 422
quinner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quinner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-05-2014 at 11:41am
The factory pop outs on my 206 tend to vibrate out while running, they are mounted on the side of the gunnels so basically slide out horizontally. These are the second set as the originals were replaced once under warranty for the same reason. The push button release style seem to remain functional longer in my experience. Check N3 or NautiqueParts sites for the factory style.
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-05-2014 at 12:21pm
Yea those factory cleats have no real retention system. Not sure of the industry terminology but I'd inclined to call them a "pull out". They do vibrate out when mounted vertically.

"Pop out" indicates some sort of opening mechanism (spring loaded style), which IMO are far superior!
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote terminaldegree Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-05-2014 at 1:50pm
Thanks for the tips re: type and supplier. What size cleat do you like for the stern? I don't want to get something that's too big and looks dorky, yet I need it to work for the occasional overnight at a dock.
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-05-2014 at 3:16pm
Remind us what year/model boat you have. Mooring situations can vary greatly, but I'd have to be faced with some pretty extreme conditions to consider drilling holes to add cleats to any of my boats. There are other ways to tie up to docks... Enlighten us on your particular situation and maybe we can get you pointed in the right direction.
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote terminaldegree Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-05-2014 at 3:38pm
Sure thing, TRBenj,

It's a 96 sport. It has a pair of cleats just forward of the windshield, but nothing at the stern except that hookup at the top, center of the transom.

This boat will get docked for lunch, etc. and will spend the occasional week in the water (if we get a waterfront hotel room with dockage, for example), and it will be subjected to boat wakes. In rare situations, I may even need to use a third line as a spring to tie the boat. I need a solution that would not chafe the boat and is secure enough that I'm not going to stay awake overnight worrying about the boat if it's on the dock…

My initial thought was to get a stainless pop-up cleat, install on the port side (about where the stern seat is located), and put a decent backing plate under it. I'm not super fond of drilling holes, either, so I figured one cleat would be enough…and the boat likes to back in that direction anyway.
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-05-2014 at 3:48pm
I guess an added cleat wouldn't look as bad on a 96 as a vintage boat.

The rear lifting rings at the platform work well for tying up, we add a stainless eye on the platform bracket as well (so the rope won't chafe the teak). Hanging bumpers is a little trickier and something I don't do often enough to be much help with, but i do know fore/aft placement is key. Also keep in mind how any added tie points may play with the cover for overnight mooring.
leetudor View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote leetudor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-05-2014 at 8:31pm
Most are a 4.5 inch Atwood Neat Cleat.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic