NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Project Boat- 2000 SN

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
pjpayleitner View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pjpayleitner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Project Boat- 2000 SN
    Posted: October-28-2014 at 1:49am

Thought I would share my winter project I picked up last week... It is in pretty poor shape but I think it has a chance!

The Good:
-2000 SN GT-40
-s/a Prestige Trailer
-Boat is complete(mostly).

The Bad:
-Wasn't winterized properly. Water was getting in oil. Engine currently has the intake off- which is visibly cracked.
-Was a camp boat so gel is beat up pretty bad. Will see what can be done with a good wetsand/buff but it will also need some gel repair which will be a project.
-Interior is shot. Needs all new seat bottom vinyl, at a minimum.
-Neither keypad appears to work although the gauges do (save for speedo/tach).
-Trailer needs some work.

Price was right as worst case I could part it out and make a few bucks but the goal is to fix it up and sell or keep it. I already have a 2001 Pro Air as well.
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pjpayleitner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-28-2014 at 1:53am
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-28-2014 at 11:08am
Looks like its all there. Good luck!
IAughtNaut View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IAughtNaut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-28-2014 at 11:46am
I don't know if I would call the single axle prestige a "good". I have one and I hate it.

If you part it out I would be interested in the vinyl panel beside the driver's seat. Where are you located? I got a guy in Ohio who I can recommend for the interior. Also, how about some pics of the pro air?
bring the ruckus
2000 Pro Air
storm34 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote storm34 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-28-2014 at 12:10pm
Take Adam up on the vinyl guy for sure! His is beautiful!

Looks like a fun project. I'd love to find a beat up TSC hull and make a slalom tug!
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-28-2014 at 12:24pm
Adam can you remind me either on here or if you prefer to pm me,a ballpark price on your interior please? You have a link to that thread you had? Thanks

Never mind found the thread
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
Treybizttu View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Treybizttu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-28-2014 at 1:39pm
Ha, looks very similar in story and condition to my Pro Air I'm rebuild/resto -ing.

Can't wait to see progress and good luck!
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IAughtNaut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-28-2014 at 2:01pm
all the info is
here
bring the ruckus
2000 Pro Air
Treybizttu View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Treybizttu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-28-2014 at 2:11pm
Wow I just looked at your interior photos in the link... Wish I had some Amish folks that could do that close to me.
M3Fan View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M3Fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-28-2014 at 2:15pm
If neither keypad works it could be the master module, as well, with the problem. Also keep in mind that with very low voltage the system will not behave properly at all.
2000 SN GT40 w/99 Graphics/Gel
2016 SN 200 OB 5.3L DI
https://forum.fifteenoff.com

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IAughtNaut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-28-2014 at 2:21pm
Originally posted by Treybizttu Treybizttu wrote:

Wow I just looked at your interior photos in the link... Wish I had some Amish folks that could do that close to me.
Thanks, I'm super happy with it, hence my willingness to refer.

You'd pay less for shipping your seats here than you would for new.
bring the ruckus
2000 Pro Air
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pjpayleitner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-28-2014 at 3:45pm
Any recommendation on what to do with the crack in the intake? Can it be welded?

And here is the Pro Air. Much better condition. 1000+ hours and still going strong.
Dreaming View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dreaming Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-28-2014 at 6:35pm
looks like you have a good opportunity to upgrade the intake :)   I would source a used one if you want stock, maybe one of the guys who has upgraded has a spare?

nice find!

storm34 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote storm34 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-28-2014 at 6:53pm
My guess on the intake......Joe would know best.
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-28-2014 at 7:29pm
Originally posted by pjpayleitner pjpayleitner wrote:

Any recommendation on what to do with the crack in the intake? Can it be welded?

Yes it can.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
M3Fan View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M3Fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-28-2014 at 7:52pm
Originally posted by Dreaming Dreaming wrote:

looks like you have a good opportunity to upgrade the intake :)   I would source a used one if you want stock, maybe one of the guys who has upgraded has a spare?

nice find!

The long-runner intake on the GT-40 MPFI is already pretty great, though, right?
2000 SN GT40 w/99 Graphics/Gel
2016 SN 200 OB 5.3L DI
https://forum.fifteenoff.com

Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pjpayleitner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-28-2014 at 8:14pm
Thanks- going to try to get it welded, if possible.

If that doesn't work, what are guys doing for replacements? Seems like a pretty unique part as the GT-40 used a cast iron intake in the marine environment whereas Mustang/Lightning where aluminum. Any other options other than finding a used one?

peter1234 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote peter1234 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-28-2014 at 8:20pm
I think there are aftermarket performance intakes . try summit
former skylark owner now a formula but I cant let this place go
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-28-2014 at 8:20pm

Thanks- going to try to get it welded, if possible.

It is possible. If he tells you it can't be welded then he doesn't know how to weld and you took it to the wrong place!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-28-2014 at 8:32pm
It is a relatively rare part - ford industrial only - likely available only through pcm new so get it fixed. They do come up used - jody seal may have one- but even then they would be a prize for someone wanting to swap a 351 into a 5.0 mustang on a budget so they wont go cheap. There are aftermarket options if you want to buy an upper and a lower but you would easily spend 700 bucks and it wouldn't work well with the stock tune ecm.

If you have someone in the area that repairs cast iron radiators this should be up their alley
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
peter1234 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote peter1234 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-28-2014 at 8:36pm
so the aftermarket ones are pricey ? i googled them and they looked fast...ha ha...everytime i try to expand what little knowledge i have towards a ford always bites me in the a** maybe i will stick to chevs
former skylark owner now a formula but I cant let this place go
JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-28-2014 at 11:18pm
The 5.0 fuel injected stuff is very common- and can be reasonably priced. The 5.8 was in a bunch of trucks the upper intake was very high and quite trucklike. The interface between the upper and lower had all the ports in a straight line and they are rectangular runners. The 5.0 had longer runners but bent over so the whole package was shorter, the interface is round ports in a staggered line the gt40 and ford lightning basically used the 5.0 upper with a lower that was made wider to fit a 5.8. That one lower manifold allows you to use a 5.8 longblock with all the higher volume lower price 5.0 gear, stock and or after market...ford racing used to sell it - pn M-9461-A58* but I haven't seen one lately in the catalogs.

1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
KRoundy View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KRoundy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-29-2014 at 12:26am
Good find. Please keep us apprised of your progress.

Kevin
Previous: 1993 Electric Blue/Charcoal Ski Nautique
Current: 2016 Ski Nautique 200 Open Bow
bufafiller View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bufafiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-31-2014 at 11:47pm

The three bears had been having some trouble recently and had ended up in family court. Mama and Papa bear were splitting up, and baby bear had to decide who he was going to live with. So, the judge wanted to talk to baby bear to see what he thought about living with either of his parents. When he asked baby bear about living with his father, baby bear said "No, I can't live with Papa bear, he beats me terribly."
aupatking View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aupatking Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-01-2014 at 1:54pm
I'm jealous. I've got that resto-disease too. That's gonna be am awesome slalom boat, & isn't that all that really matters?
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pjpayleitner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-03-2014 at 1:26am
Quick Update:

Got the lower intake welded locally for $150. Reassembled engine and got it running again. Ran fine. Unfortunately, again found water in the oil. Did a compression test and all were in the 150-160 range with exception of cylinder #7 which was 140 or so. Did a leakdown test as well and all were fairly consistent with exception of this cylinder. Pulled engine and took both heads off. Nothing visibly apparent that would cause the issues but will take the heads in to get checked. If they are ok then I guess there must be a crack in the block somewhere?

As for the aesthetic side was able to find a little bit of acid wash to remove the brown stains as boat probably was never wiped down. Did a little wetsanding and determined it is going to be a huge job. I think I'm going to just hit the gel hard with a wool pad and the 3M Imperial Compound to see how much can be brought back to life with the buffer. Will then dig into the worst spots first that need heavy wetsand and/or gel repair. Going to remove decals, pinstripe, and rubrail first.

Also looked harder and found minor tweaks in all three fins and the strut is bent slightly but that is to be expected right?

Did manage to pressure wash the center board behind the engine. Literally looks like a different color compared to the rest of the carpet. Since the engine is out will pull the rest of the interior and go nuts with pressure washer.

TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-03-2014 at 7:54am
You did a compression test. A leak down test would have told you where you're losing compression- or at least isolate a valve issue from a block/rings/head gasket problem. Next time, it would be helpful to perform prior to tear down- might save you $300 on a valve job if the heads come back good.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-03-2014 at 8:23am

the strut is bent slightly but that is to be expected right?

If you can visually see a bent strut, I'd be concerned. I suggest doing a full alignment as well as checking the shaft for straightness.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pjpayleitner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-03-2014 at 11:36am
Absolutely will look into shaft/strut/alignment when it gets back running again.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic