Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Need help w I.D.-vintage CC-twin engines-old

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <12
Author
Senter Cove Guy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Senter Cove Guy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-28-2014 at 1:08am
Thanks to Diver1111's willingness to share side scan information with me, I've dived this double engine wreck twice this year. Where would we most likely find the engine manufacturer's plate on the engines? Based upon other wrecks I've seen in Lake Winnipesaukee, this wreck is way older than 1960's.
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-28-2014 at 1:22am
Just possibly Ken would remember the tail end of wood era but when your just a kid you wouldn't pay attention to that stuff.
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-28-2014 at 9:45am
Originally posted by Senter Cove Guy Senter Cove Guy wrote:

Where would we most likely find the engine manufacturer's plate on the engines?

There are 3 places I suggest looking. The valve cover, the trans cover and in some cases Gray put the engine specs on the exhaust manifold plate.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Diver1111 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Diver1111 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-20-2015 at 10:16pm
Here is a 2nd video; As clear as I could get it under the conditions.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yRUDbHfXP_A
Diver1111 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Diver1111 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-20-2015 at 10:18pm
Here is a 2nd video, as clear as I could get it under the conditions.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yRUDbHfXP_A
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-20-2015 at 10:34pm
Here's a link. Lots of inline flathead 6's looked pretty much alike but, I thought I recognized the T stat housing to be a Gray Marine. Next time down, see if you can detect a name cast into the top of the exhaust manifolds.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-20-2015 at 11:15pm
Even without the step pad name plate it's obviously a CC,it still has the tube rope still on the lift ring!
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
kenwolfb View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kenwolfb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-23-2015 at 9:49pm
Similar/identical boat is on Lake Cobbosseecontee in Maine. The boat and owner are well known in the wooden boater circles. Original power was twin 6 cylinder Grays, which are now in storage. Current power is twin big block V8s.

Local legend is that CC made two.

Boat on bottom is very similar, with twin 6 cylinder Grays, the remains of the aft cockpit and the vents on the transom. Although transom vents are located in slightly different locations, that would not be unusual for the hand crafted boats of that era.

Hopefully the pics post ok.

Diver1111 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Diver1111 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-25-2015 at 4:23pm
Wow fantastic pictures thank you. Really pulls it together for me given what I have to deal with underwater and the high degree of decay on the boat.

I will likely have any numbers I can pull ready to post soon.
skutsch View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skutsch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-25-2015 at 4:31pm
Originally posted by kenwolfb kenwolfb wrote:

Similar/identical boat is on Lake Cobbosseecontee in Maine. The boat and owner are well known in the wooden boater circles. Original power was twin 6 cylinder Grays, which are now in storage. Current power is twin big block V8s.

Local legend is that CC made two.

Boat on bottom is very similar, with twin 6 cylinder Grays, the remains of the aft cockpit and the vents on the transom. Although transom vents are located in slightly different locations, that would not be unusual for the hand crafted boats of that era.

Hopefully the pics post ok.
]

Wow what cool CC, is there anymore history on these (two) boats? I wonder if they were special orders, one-offs for boat shows, or some other special situation. SO COOL!
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-25-2015 at 9:05pm
Originally posted by skutsch skutsch wrote:

I wonder if they were special orders, or some other special situation. SO COOL!

I'd say they were made for Cypress Gardens!!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-25-2015 at 9:22pm
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

I'd say they were made for Cypress Gardens!!

69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
kenwolfb View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kenwolfb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-25-2015 at 10:05pm
I don't have much history. In fact, I just became aware of the boat on Lake Cobbosseecontee last month. Upon seeing it and learning that it was thought that CC made 2 put the pieces together with the one on the bottom of Winnipesaukee.

For what it's worth, Lake Cobbo is the home of the Woolworth family summer estate. Yes, those Woolworth's. It could very well have been built for them??
Diver1111 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Diver1111 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-13-2015 at 6:03pm
Hi folks-I made a 3rd dive on the Correct Craft and filmed it again this time trying to stay centered on the engines; Visibility was miserable but the link below is the best I could do; I looked hard for VINs/HINs on the manifold etc. but the engine is too badly corroded to get anything at all but I tried.

https://youtu.be/VlbWoM9SctQ

Thank you everyone for your help.
HH
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-14-2015 at 9:26pm
Yup, you are correct about the visibility.
. here's a direct link

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-14-2015 at 10:10pm
There's a story about that boat I read somewhere a few years ago and how the Woolworths had Correct Craft build it to beat another boat on the lake, maybe a Chris Craft?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <12
  Share Topic