NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

New Life

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <12
Author
C-Bass View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote C-Bass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-23-2014 at 12:52pm
This particular 1st gen looks to have one added in the 1st picture.
Craig
67 SN
73 SN
99 Sport
85SN
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-23-2014 at 12:55pm
Do'oh!
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
Capn Dan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Capn Dan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-27-2014 at 5:38pm
She does have a beautiful Teak platform that helped me get back on board. It was early, dew on the dock, yata, yata, yata. Good thing is she made it to 45 MPH later the next day. I think that is max hull speed. Will get a video this weekend.
Capn Dan
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-27-2014 at 5:54pm
Originally posted by Capn Dan Capn Dan wrote:

. Good thing is she made it to 45 MPH later the next day. I think that is max hull speed. Will get a video this weekend.

Actually, we *suspect* the 1gsn is one of the faster hulls cc made, and therefore has decent speed potential! Boy will Reid be mad if his 400hp+ 427 only pushes his first gen 45mph .
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-27-2014 at 6:07pm
Originally posted by TRBenj TRBenj wrote:

. Good thing is she made it to 45 MPH later the next day. I think that is max hull speed. Will get a video this weekend.

Actually, we *suspect* the 1gsn is one of the faster hulls cc made, and therefore has decent speed potential!

Dan,
I agree with Tim that you should be getting more speed. Did you GPS the speed? What RPM is the 312 indicating? My 312 (never been rebuilt) in my X55 with the original prop runs at about 4500.Put a shop tach on your's to confirm the RPM's. What prop are you running?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-27-2014 at 6:13pm
45mph doesn't seem off to me, Pete... I think 45-47mph is typical for the small block (289/302, 312, 318) boats. Maybe a touch more for the oddball fe's? Of course if he's interested in optimizing performance, I'm all for a good prop discussion. :)

That doesn't mean 45mph is the terminal velocity of the hull though... The smaller hulls get a bit temperamental in the mid 50's, maybe the 1gen is better suited for speed? It's only a matter of time before we find out!
skutsch View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skutsch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-27-2014 at 6:30pm
It definitely will go faster then 45, I have GPS Dad's at 47 mph, and that was instantaneous top speed, because it was turning 5000 rpm's. A number of folks mentioned 5k is awful hot for the 312, so I did not let the speed build. I have been challenged with a stubborn cutless bearing so I have not had the old girl out to calibrate the tach and gather more data. Long story, but with the newer (old style cast prop) we had been seeing higher RPM's then what it used to turn with the original prop, (that was lost, hence the need for new prop). The old prop would run 47 mph at 4700 Revs for sustained WOT runs on those rare occasions that Dad would open it up - ahh wonderful memories of my youth...
skutsch View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skutsch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-27-2014 at 6:32pm
Oh and I should add, that was LONG before GPS - HA!!!

So 47 mph on two airguides that were non adjustable but held course speed (34 or 36 mph) within allowable tolerances on a manual stop watch...
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-27-2014 at 6:39pm
Our Classic runs 45 gps at 4500 rpm with a Federal 12x13. Rebuilt 312 with an Edelbrock. We've got a 12x13 OJ that we have to try out. Hoping it will give a little more speed with a little less rpms. 5000 seems pretty hot to me for a 312.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-27-2014 at 6:55pm
Originally posted by Riley Riley wrote:

Our Classic runs 45 gps at 4500 rpm with a Federal 12x13. Rebuilt 312 with an Edelbrock. We've got a 12x13 OJ that we have to try out. Hoping it will give a little more speed with a little less rpms. 5000 seems pretty hot to me for a 312.

Bruce,
When spring comes and you try the OJ on the Classic, fill me in on the results. I've toyed with the idea of getting a OJ for the X55. I'm still running the original 12x15 MW cast prop.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-27-2014 at 7:21pm
Pete, I'll do that. We didn't even wheel it out of the garage this year. Next year is the year for the Classic. We've got to get some more work done on it.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-27-2014 at 7:32pm
Originally posted by Riley Riley wrote:

Our Classic runs 45 gps with an Edelbrock.

5000 seems pretty hot to me for a 312.

The low speed must be due to your conversion to the downdraft carb!

Yes, 5K is on the hot side for a stock Y block. "Y Blocks Forever" has some interesting performance parts!
Y blocks forever

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
skutsch View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skutsch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-27-2014 at 7:47pm
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

The low speed must be due to your conversion to the downdraft carb!

Yep, Dad's is running as originally configured with Side Draft Carter YH's!!!
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-27-2014 at 8:01pm
Whether you like the oj or federal better will depend on how you measure performance. The federals are actually great top end props... But they're real turds for everything else. The little 12" oj's are worlds better all around performers, but they are not faster up top in my experience.

The last few trials we've done, acme was better than oj out of the hole AND up top. I'm not sure the newest oj's are as good as the ones from a few years ago... Seems they turn a few extra revs than they used to. You'd love a 1210 Bruce. Pete, you may want a 1214 if you think your mighty x55 can pull it.
MrMcD View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrMcD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-27-2014 at 8:17pm
Y blocks make good torque and run great but I would hesitate to push one past 4,500 RPM, the design of that block does not like high RPM, at least not for long.
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-27-2014 at 8:25pm
Maybe we'll bring the Classic to CT next year and we can try a 1210 out. An Edelbrock will give you at least 10 hp over 2 of those dinky little one barrels.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-27-2014 at 8:50pm
Tim,
Any prop that's over 12", I'd have to have turned down. The 12" now is closer to the hull than I'd like it to be (about 7/8" to 1"). I've already seen some hull rash which is easy to get on a wood hull. I repaired it the last time I refinished the bottom. When the time comes, I'll call Eric(?) at OJ and see what his ideas are.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Capn Dan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Capn Dan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-28-2014 at 9:59am
She is turning 5k at top speed and I don't keep her there long with only 11 hours on the new engine. I will be putting her in tomorrow and will have more to report. The beauty as you all know is listening to her echo off the sailboats at my sailclub. They typically don't like "smokers" but they love this one. I guess it is because I am the one they call when they run aground. Keeps me in Jack Daniels.
Capn Dan
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-28-2014 at 10:04am

She is turning 5k at top speed and I don't keep her there long with only 11 hours on the new engine. I will be putting her in tomorrow and will have more to report.

Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

Put a shop tach on your's to confirm the RPM's. What prop are you running?

Dan,
The 5K is too high.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Capn Dan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Capn Dan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-28-2014 at 8:27pm
Will check with another tach. Dont know about the prop but it is three blade and I think stock. How do I find what it is. Is there anything stamped on this Brass prop.
Capn Dan
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-28-2014 at 8:45pm

Is there anything stamped on this Brass prop.

Yes, under the prop nut.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <12
  Share Topic