NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

BFN 454 Oil Pans

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
mark c View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mark c Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: BFN 454 Oil Pans
    Posted: October-13-2014 at 12:45am
I'm pulling the 454 out of my 87 BFN and I notice two 1/2" pipe plugs in the side of the oil pan, one on each side about where the cylinder 2 and 4 are located, maybe an inch below the top of the pan. Obviously, I don't have the pan off yet to see the inside of the pan, but does any one know what are these two threaded holes for? Dip stick goes in to your standard riveted on slip joint flange on the right side of the pan, and that is there a little further back and lower down than the right side pipe plug. Threaded drain connection for the drain hose is in the bottom face of the pan near the rear edge in the center.

Thanks,

Mark C.
63 Skier View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 63 Skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-13-2014 at 12:24pm
Most likely they would be used to drain oil back to the pan from rocker covers. There are times that high capacity oil pumps and higher viscosity oil creates a situation where oil can't drain back fast enough through normal engine passages and the oil collects in the top end, if using a standard sized pan it can be enough to empty the pan. So, drains are put in from covers to pan.

I know this from Olds 455 oiling problems, not sure why a stock 454 pan would have them, might have been changed out at some point.
'63 American Skier - '98 Sport Nautique
BuffaloBFN View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-18-2014 at 12:46pm
Interesting info. My pan didn't have those ports.

I got it from a good source that my engine came from the P-30 platform.

FWIW-I have a pan on the wall downstairs if someone needs it. I think it's a merc high capacity.
1988 BFN-sold

"It's a Livin' Thing...What a Terrible Thing to Lose" ELO
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic