Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

I BOUGHT A WILDCAT!

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
skyfuzz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skyfuzz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: I BOUGHT A WILDCAT!
    Posted: October-11-2014 at 1:44am
I never thought I'd need any more boat to keep me happy more than the '70 Barracuda which I've enjoyed the past 7 summers but I recently grew restless and wanted to go bigger. A CCF member contacted me about a 1969 Wildcat for sale in GA and I could not resist. Just got the '69 delivered earlier this week through uShip and I will get busy with some much needed cosmetic issues before bringing it up to NH next May/June to get some mechanical issues repaired. It has a Gray Marine Fireball V8...possibly a 225hp?? I have the original Gray Marine engine manual.

The old bottom paint is hideous and hope to do what it takes to remove it and get back to the original gelcoat(just what's visible). Naturally, the entire sopwith blue hull gelcoat needs lots of compounding/waxing. The windshield needs work and probably has to come off and get redone. Almost every frame is unglued, coming apart, loose...The instrument panel face plate(original) is pretty sad and will need something new in its place. And once again horrid blue carpet haunts the floor(Barracuda had it too) and will get textured vinyl flooring but the seat upholstery and side panels are in real good shape and though not to original style, it's not bad. But one of my biggest pet peeves--it doesn't have the original faux wood grain sport steering wheel!! Gonna have to scout around for one or I'll pout! The transom has WAY too much attached to it and I plan on taking off the 3, count 'em, 3! ski pulls, old rickety ladder and the most ugliest speedometer thingamajig ever! So, lots of hole filling is in my future!

I always appreciate any tips or any ideas on getting a classic back to being a...Classic.

http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=7613&sort=&pagenum=1
cbdenco View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cbdenco Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-11-2014 at 2:30am
Very cool, congrats. Looking forward to watching its progress.
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-11-2014 at 8:54am
Nice boat. It looks like the one in the '68 brochure. Ive never seen a gray marine in such a late model boat.
Orlando76 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Orlando76 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-11-2014 at 9:39am
The dampener is correct for that boat right? I always liked the external dampeners for some dumb reason. You're keeping the ladder correct? 3 pulls, wow, must've been a tubing machine! Good luck and looks good already with potential.
peter1234 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote peter1234 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-11-2014 at 7:07pm
nice will Mike Kondrat do the mechanical work?
former skylark owner now a formula but I cant let this place go
62 wood View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 62 wood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-12-2014 at 12:10am
Originally posted by Riley Riley wrote:

Ive never seen a gray marine in such a late model boat.

...X2 on the Gray...

Looks like a great platform to start with! What is coming unglued on the windshield panels? I ended up parting out a 70 and have a few things around. In fact I put the instrument panel on ebay. Not sure if it is in any better shape than yours tho?

Also, I think I have the aluminum frames for windshield around as well as the woodgrain steering wheel, but I think the chrome spokes have some rust on them.

Love all the roominess!!!
64 American Skier

62 Classic..
73 Ski Nautique
skutsch View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skutsch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-12-2014 at 12:12am
Originally posted by 62 wood 62 wood wrote:

That is the first thing I noticed, cripes you could have a picnic NEXT to the engine - HA!
skyfuzz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skyfuzz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-14-2014 at 11:46am
Originally posted by peter1234 peter1234 wrote:

nice will Mike Kondrat do the mechanical work?

I will have Ward's Boat Shop do the mechanical work.
skyfuzz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skyfuzz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-14-2014 at 11:52am
Originally posted by Orlando76 Orlando76 wrote:

The dampener is correct for that boat right? I always liked the external dampeners for some dumb reason. You're keeping the ladder correct? 3 pulls, wow, must've been a tubing machine! Good luck and looks good already with potential.

Sorry, I don't know what a dampener is. And that ladder is history. I'd much rather have the old folding ladder that you hook over the gunwhale when needed. Just have to remember to put it in place before jumping over board! I'd be happy to sell the ladder to someone who wants it.
skyfuzz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skyfuzz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-14-2014 at 11:59am
Originally posted by 62 wood 62 wood wrote:

Originally posted by Riley Riley wrote:

Ive never seen a gray marine in such a late model boat.

...X2 on the Gray...

Looks like a great platform to start with! What is coming unglued on the windshield panels? I ended up parting out a 70 and have a few things around. In fact I put the instrument panel on ebay. Not sure if it is in any better shape than yours tho?

Also, I think I have the aluminum frames for windshield around as well as the woodgrain steering wheel, but I think the chrome spokes have some rust on them.

All the trim rubber is in bad shape...haven't tried to open the skiff windows yet and the base of the whole windshield is a mess. The whole thing is quite shaky too. My instrument panel is peeling(plywood) and discolored and the words ie, "LIGHTS", "HORN", etc are hardly readable anymore. I do want the steering wheel!! Message me for info and maybe a pic about it please! I'll get it rechromed!
phatsat67 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phatsat67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-14-2014 at 12:22pm
Looks like an AMC 327 (engine I hauled out to CT for Jack Winn).
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic