NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Crappy day on the lake yesterday

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <12
Author
JPASS View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JPASS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-13-2014 at 11:06pm
I remove the plug to allow the boat to drain in the event my cover fails during a Florida rainstorm. Our boat is stored in the driveway under a full cover. I don't leave the ignition breaker on when the boat is stored.

'92 Correctcraft Ski Nautique
Airfooter View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Airfooter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-13-2014 at 11:08pm
Originally posted by forvicjr forvicjr wrote:

If I may ask why are yall removing the plug every trip. And am I missing an important reason to remove it??

Because it's illegal to transport a boat with the plug in it in some states, and should be in all states in my opinion. Have you read anything about invasive species and plants? Leaving the plug in and transporting water from lake to lake is a great way to spread them if you are around infested waters.
1992 Nautique Excel
forvicjr View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote forvicjr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-14-2014 at 12:37am
I didnt think about the bilge law thing.I frequent one lake and I have a personal boat ramp so thats non issue. The fan is mainly to dry the carpet and interior. I also have a large amp which draws alot so every time I put it up I toss the battery tender on it. My boat never sees the out doors unless its on the lake so I guess thats another thing im excempt from also.Just wondering guys not questioning any judgment on what should be done. Guess im in a different situation than most concerning plug removal.lol
“Tact is the ability to step on a man's toes without messing up the shine on his shoes.” ― Harry S. Truman
jbear View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-14-2014 at 12:43am
Originally posted by rosconole rosconole wrote:

I forgot drain plug once about 15 years ago, my buddy of 25 years still reminds me today about every other time I run into him "we almost sunk" in lake hamilton with plenty of gators and moccassins close by.

Lake Hamilton just off RT27? Have never seen a ski boat on that lake.

john
"Loud pipes save lives"

AdamT sez "I'm Canadian and a beaver lover myself"...
63 Skier View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 63 Skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-14-2014 at 1:04am
Vic, I don't pull the plug every time either. I'm pretty careful about not transferring foliage on the boat or trailer, check it all around after I retrieve the boat. But, the idea of something being transferred in the bilge water never occurred to me.
'63 American Skier - '98 Sport Nautique
Airfooter View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Airfooter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-14-2014 at 1:42am
Here in MN the biggest concern with bilge water is zebra mussels and their microscopic eggs. A bad day start to the day here would be showing up to the boat ramp with your plug in :). The DNR has had quite the presence at a lot of boat ramps, so they'd be all over that. We even have to dump our water strainers.... If you are leaving zebra mussel infested waters, and are planning on launching in non-infested waters within a few days, it's recommended that you run your boat at a DNR high temp wash station to flush the engine. The DNR doesn't want to see any water leaving the ramp in the boat period.
1992 Nautique Excel
rosconole View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rosconole Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-14-2014 at 1:58am
Yea man I used to bearfoot all up and down that side by US27 put in with our grove truck at that ramp since I lived on the other side of lake. usually had good water behind second effort (OMC) where they used to make and test props for all kinds of boats. We used to jump of Hazelwoods ramp every now and then , he used to have a Supra out there all the time.

Illegal to transport a boat with a plug in...well lock me up barney.
1989 ski nautique ,1991 barefoot nautique, 1993 Mustang Cobra 1998 5.0 Magazine shootout invitee
Orlando76 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Orlando76 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-14-2014 at 5:28am
Never ever ever ever leave a plug in! To begin with, that half gallon of water or so left in bilge will evaporate but evaporation is water going into the air, now you have that humid air trapped in bilge soaking into carpet, stringers, seats, etc. Then there's the issue with spreading invasive species. Possible cover failures while stored. And my favorite, once about 10 years old we joined some family friends on St Johns river for a weekend on their 35'er. So we had lots of gear, coolers, clothes etc in boat. Rather than fight this stuff to pop open doghouse and screw drain plug in, we screwed it in before loading. It was a 1.5 hour drive to the ramp, on the way it started storming, I was shocked. En route we also needed Dino juice so we stopped and in :45 the boat filled up with water to the point where the battery was submerged. Never thought to turn on bilge pump to just trailer the boat. All that weight, all that water finding it way into places it shouldn't. It's just a 2 second job, keep the plug with the key and you can't go wrong.
SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-14-2014 at 9:37am
Originally posted by Airfooter Airfooter wrote:

We even have to dump our water strainers....   

Didn't realize this aspect. Probably should apply to the whole RW system. I'll have check Iowa law. Does the DNR flush station give you a document proving you flushed the engine out?
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin
SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-14-2014 at 9:39am

Didn't realize this aspect. Probably should apply to the whole RW system & ballast tanks for that matter.     I'll have check Iowa law.

Does the DNR flush station give you a document proving you flushed the engine out?
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin
quinner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quinner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-14-2014 at 10:39am
Re: the Zebra's, It's unfortunate it's already too late for so many lakes in my area including our lake. First noticed them last fall and it is amazing how rapidly they have increased in numbers in just one year.
74Wind View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 74Wind Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-14-2014 at 11:07am
My home lake in the Finger Lakes (NY) has developed a zebra mussel issue. As the beach is shale they attach to the stones, now we have to wear water shoes, those things can really slice you up.

Here now in Georgia there is not a single natural lake in the state, all man made. Does that make US the invasive species?
1974 Southwind 18
1975 Century Mark II
Airfooter View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Airfooter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-14-2014 at 3:38pm
Originally posted by SNobsessed SNobsessed wrote:

Didn't realize this aspect. Probably should apply to the whole RW system & ballast tanks for that matter.     I'll have check Iowa law.

Does the DNR flush station give you a document proving you flushed the engine out?

For me, the strainer was an issue because of the clear bowl and the officer could see the water sitting in it (I was asked to dump it before I left the ramp). The regulations don't specifically mention anything about it, but it's an easy thing to do so I just do it now.   

I'm not sure if you're given any documentation from a flush station. I've been told some are "self service", so I would assume probably not? But then again, you'd hope that you'd get something to prove that you went through the steps. I've never been to one myself as I stick to the lake we're on.

The lake we're on has zebra mussels thanks to two idiots (a buyer and a seller) and a boat lift. The boat lift was purchased from infested waters and immediately put into our lake. There were hefty fines associated with it, but unfortunately it doesn't fix the issue. It's not near the point where a person has to wear shoes in the water, but hopefully the DNR comes up with a solution for them before it gets to that point. Unfortunately I'm afraid it's just a matter of time before they start to spread from lake to lake at an increased rate.           
1992 Nautique Excel
OverMyHead View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OverMyHead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-14-2014 at 3:53pm
The strainer seams like small potatos. What about the other nearly 2 gallons in the engine, manifolds, and hoses? A guy should maybe hook the hose up to the engine flush and run before leaving the ramp. Ohhhhh it would sound so good!
For thousands of years men have felt the irresistible urge to go to sea, and many of them died. Things got better after they invented boats.
1987 Ski Nautique

rosconole View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rosconole Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-14-2014 at 4:07pm
It would be pretty difficult to see the strainer on the trailer, what else was Mr. Officer looking for? Seems a little ridiculous.
1989 ski nautique ,1991 barefoot nautique, 1993 Mustang Cobra 1998 5.0 Magazine shootout invitee
Airfooter View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Airfooter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-14-2014 at 4:39pm
Originally posted by OverMyHead OverMyHead wrote:

The strainer seams like small potatos. What about the other nearly 2 gallons in the engine, manifolds, and hoses? A guy should maybe hook the hose up to the engine flush and run before leaving the ramp. Ohhhhh it would sound so good!

That's exactly my thought and why I say that it's just a matter of time before the spread rate increases. In reality, if a person isn't flushing an engine, the strainer shouldn't matter. It's not worth my time to argue with an officer over dumping a strainer though. I'd feel more proud about running my boat before leaving the ramp if I didn't have the invertaflow and uni-exhaust...   
1992 Nautique Excel
74Wind View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 74Wind Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-14-2014 at 5:28pm
Pretty intense enforcement up there. We ride a 400 mile shoreline lake in georgia and in five years have never even seen any form of law enforcement.
1974 Southwind 18
1975 Century Mark II
JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-14-2014 at 5:50pm
We spent three years steam cleaning boats and bleaching bilges up in these parts to keep away the zebras- we gave that up 15 years ago when it became quite apparent it was not effective.
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
74Wind View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 74Wind Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-14-2014 at 6:08pm
Originally posted by JoeinNY JoeinNY wrote:

We spent three years steam cleaning boats and bleaching bilges up in these parts to keep away the zebras- we gave that up 15 years ago when it became quite apparent it was not effective.

15 years sounds about right for Keuka.
1974 Southwind 18
1975 Century Mark II
63 Skier View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 63 Skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-14-2014 at 6:17pm
I'm kind of curious to look into this. So, I can see the strainer catching leaves and stuff, maybe even mussel eggs (I have no clue how they reproduce, just guessing) so by dumping the strainer it might dump the harmful stuff instead of taking a chance on something passing through. But is the engine water contaminated with something that can spread the mussels/milfoil? Here in NH they have a good volunteer program that inspects boats and trailers from the outside, but I've never heard cooling water mentioned.

Knowing how our engines flow water, I doubt a hot water flush would get more than 50% of the water our anyway, if the stat isn't open the engine water is just sitting there.
'63 American Skier - '98 Sport Nautique
NAUTIQUEjunky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NAUTIQUEjunky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-14-2014 at 6:57pm
Originally posted by JPASS JPASS wrote:

Here's the vid. I need to work on my landings.

JP, As others has stated dont sweat the plug we have all done that before! Hope your knee heels soon! I must ask it appears your driver was pulling you WAY too fast by looking at the rooster tail and wake shape!?!
1977 MasterCraft Stars&Stripes
1994 Ski Nautique
2000 Super Air Nautique
1986 Ski Nautique 2001
1999 Sport Nautique gt40 current

Donald80SN View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Donald80SN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-14-2014 at 7:20pm
I have heard that people have blown out the tires on their boat trailers after the boat and trailer were in a bad storm on the highway. This was when the plug was not removed. However, I have not seen this with my own eyes and I do not know if it is true or not. I do know that Florida can have some real bad storms.

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OverMyHead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-14-2014 at 7:54pm
Originally posted by 63 Skier 63 Skier wrote:

Knowing how our engines flow water, I doubt a hot water flush would get more than 50% of the water our anyway, if the stat isn't open the engine water is just sitting there.

In Minnesota we have hoses right at some of the busy ramps to delouse the boat and trailer. I would think the stat might still be open when being pulled out of the lake. "I would think" being the qualifier. I have the transom engine flush so it would be easy, And again with the 2001 dual exhaust what a nice little concert it would be for the people waiting in line for the hose!
For thousands of years men have felt the irresistible urge to go to sea, and many of them died. Things got better after they invented boats.
1987 Ski Nautique

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OverMyHead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-14-2014 at 7:59pm
How is the knee doing?
1987 Ski Nautique

JPASS View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JPASS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-15-2014 at 9:35am
Originally posted by NAUTIQUEjunky NAUTIQUEjunky wrote:

I must ask it appears your driver was pulling you WAY too fast by looking at the rooster tail and wake shape!?!

18 mph is how fast we were going. That's not too fast from what I've read. I definitely picked up a bit of speed when I cut in, but I don't believe our tow speeds are excessive. My understanding is that it's not unheard of to tow 20-22mph for people who know what they're doing.

JPASS View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JPASS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-15-2014 at 9:39am
Originally posted by OverMyHead OverMyHead wrote:

How is the knee doing?

Knee is doing great. Thanks for asking. I could probably jog on it with no issues, but I won't. No pain or swelling at all.

Training legs today at the gym for the first time in a week. Going super light. Probably just move the rack with no weights and see how it goes.

See the Dr in a week and half. I'll know more then.

halfnelly View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote halfnelly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-15-2014 at 10:33am
18mph is pretty slow for wakeboarding. Rope length also has a large effect on how fast you need to go. The bigger the wake, the longer the rope can be and the faster the boat speed will need to be. With a boat full of ballast, 75-80ft at 21-23mph is about the norm. Smaller wakes usually require shortening the rope up a bit since it's pretty small at 75+ft/22mph. A longer rope will make jumps feel floatier, too. In the old days, we were influenced by trick skiing so rope length was very short and only needed 17-19mph. Everything happens much faster at that line length and it's difficult not to land way past the second wake.

From the looks of the video, you were carrying a lot of speed but had pretty much stopped cutting at the wake. This basically translates into a lot of speed but no load on the rope, which usually results in being off balance in the air. When you're knee is feeling better and you get back on the board, try working on starting your cut slow, building speed slowly, and maintaining your edge all the way through the wake. This will load the rope and maximize pop without having to carry a lot of unnecessary speed. If you do it right, you can clear the second wake even starting at the base of the first wake.

Hope your knee feels better soon!

JPASS View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JPASS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-15-2014 at 10:40am
Thanks for the tips Halfnelly. Maybe in the spring we can arrange to meet up and you can give us some pointers. We can use the help. We usually use 60-65' rope length. Haven't tried going with a longer rope yet.

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <12
  Share Topic