NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

New guy, Newish Boat

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 678
Author
Treybizttu View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Treybizttu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-16-2015 at 9:05pm
10 Hours in and going strong.

Added some board racks to the tower and checked all the nuts and bolts July 4th weekend. Spent a few hours on our home lake as the road to the ramp was finally usable sunday right before we left. Ended up at another lake this past weekend for a buddies bachelor party and the boat was great all weekend. Only bad part was the neighborhood ramp was steeeeeep and that was a challenge. Especially when my set time in a direct drive boat is pretty limited.

Headed to Possum Kingdom this weekend with all the wifes family. Hopefully I'll have some good pictures now that she's pretty spruced up.

I've got a pretty good list of honey-doos for the boat when the weather cools off down here in about 3 months ;)
74Wind View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 74Wind Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-16-2015 at 9:44pm
Good progress, nice work!

At first I'd thought Possum Kingdom was a restaurant in the Appalachians, but after looking it up, it is apparently a very nice lake in Texas.
1974 Southwind 18
1975 Century Mark II
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Treybizttu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-18-2016 at 5:34pm
I need to get off my rump and get this thread back to up to date...

I think we ended up around 30 hours for the summer which is pretty good all things considered.

Ended up Painting the Windshield Frame and Tinting the Glass Before I put it up for the cooler months here in texas.

This Springs Projects:
-New Bimini. I am going to order a towerbimini in the next month or so. I'd just like something with a little more coverage. Any thoughts on color? I'd love black for aesthetic appeal but I'm afraid it will fade fast and transmit more heat than a lighter color.
- Tune Up. I have a whole pile of parts from when I was going to build a motor that could find there way onto my new to me GT40. I have belts, plugs, wires, cap, rotor, etc. Part of me thinks if it isn't broke don't fix it. The boat ran great all last summer.
- Stereo- I know they aren't for everyone but i like a nice sounding boat. I'm not into tower speakers but I like good in cabin sound. I've got a JL 5 channel AMP and 10" sub that need to find a happy home.
- Little More Gel Love and Polish. The Bow Roller area is rough to say the least. I need to get started on it.
- Depth Finder. I picked one up and need to install.
- Hook Up Perfect Pass. Came with my motor but I still haven't messed with it.
- I've got 2x barefoot booms now, I need to figure out which one works best and get ready to teach my boy to ski.
- Trailer Add-Ons... I need to fab up a spare tire basket for the trailer. I've got room under the bow and I've never cared for the ones that clamp onto the rail.

Last Picture Before I took it back to the lake and put it in the barn.

Fits Good... This is actually the first time in the barn since we bought it. Rebuilt in my driveway at the M-F house and sat under the carport all summer.

And cleaned up the rafters to get all the equipment off the floor. The Lakehouse has been somewhat of a catch-all for the last 24 years.... Plenty of junk in the barn :)
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Treybizttu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-02-2016 at 9:31pm
Ended up dragging the boat back from our lake place last weekend.

Messed with the windshield mounting some and got it to a good enough fit.... It didn't like being messed with after all these years.

Dropped it off with a buddy that does boat and big goofy motorcycle stereos on the side. Ended up with a 5 channel amp and a jl sub tucked under the helm. Everthing is hidden so I'm happy with that. It gets plenty loud now.

Resupplied my polishing pads and what not so I can do some buffing if the weather stays nice.

While doing that I'm going to install new spark plugs, wires, and fuel filter since I have
them.

Before I take it back down to sit for another month while Jr's soccer season is in full swing I need to fix some of the trailer bunks that came loose on the trip up here. The boards are carpet are still in great shape but whatever horrible hardware they used has basically turned to dust.

It's already 75 here in texas and has been for the better part of two weeks. I know that is a heat wave by the northern standards but the water still needs to warm up a bit.
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-03-2016 at 1:16am
Wuss. Any open water froze over again serving as a reminder it's still winter.

This boat has come a long way, glad you got to enjoy it a bit.
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Treybizttu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-07-2016 at 8:18pm
Yea I'm a wuss about cold water. I think most of the northern guys ski in water that is about like what we have in march-april and oct-dec during your the heat of your summers!

Around late july and august you have to get in at least 30' of water down here before it doesn't feel like a hot tub.

Spent a good part of the day yesterday making a secondary tarp for the boat since it's in the driveway and they are predicting pouring rain for the next 5-6 days straight. Texas has certainly been feast or famine for the last few years on lake levels.

Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Treybizttu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-23-2016 at 3:11pm
Well the water warmed up and then the lake flooded to 17' over for the better part of two months... :(

Finally got down to the ramp sat and had a few issues. First it ran up to 180 or so i opened the engine hatch and putted back to the dock it cooled down to 165 on the way in. I had a new impeller ready to go (didn't swap last year since I only put 25 hours on it) so I swapped that out sunday morning. The one I pulled out looked to be in decent shape. Drove it again and it got up to 170-175 but never any hotter than that. Looked like it was pulling plenty of water through and the risers never got hot enough to not touch them. Since I'm in a warmer climate with warmer water is 175 acceptable? My of the hoses are new, the trans cooler didn't have any blockages, and the thermostat is the one that came with the motor.

Noticed when I pulled it out sunday that it had quite a bit more water in the bildge than it usually does when i pull the plug. Maybe a gallon or so. I was in a hurry so i had to cover it and go. I'm headed back this weekend and will look for leaks. The rudder and shaft packing are new as of last spring. I wonder if I have a leak somewhere in the cooling system? I will double check all of the hose clamps and take a flash light. I only ran it for 20-30 minutes and there were any wet people boarding so that shouldn't be the cause.

And pictures. Our dock washed up on the road and was in sad shape so we spent most of the weekend repairing and re-launching.

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 678
  Share Topic