Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

81 351 stall when engaging F or R

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
kthackwray View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kthackwray Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 81 351 stall when engaging F or R
    Posted: October-01-2014 at 1:23pm
Just took my new - rebuilt 81 tique for it's maiden voyage after a engine rebuild
I bought it stripped down so no real reference point regarding how it was before
So a couple of problems - starter is hit and miss See earlier post
And engine stalls when I put her into forward or reverse at idle
If I engage quickly and gas her she gets going.
I have to say that the timing may not be perfect but she fires up ok and settles to an idle with a slight tappet noise which also needs to be sorted by the engine rebuild guy
Anything I should check before trying to get the engine tuned ?

GottaSki View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GottaSki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-01-2014 at 1:51pm
Likely Vacuum leak, or the primary metering block has clogged idle fuel orifices.

Is the engine responsive to the the idle mix ajusters?
"There is nothing, absolutely nothing, half so much worthwhile as messing around with boats...simply messing."

River Rat to Mole
backfoot100 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote backfoot100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-01-2014 at 2:07pm
Originally posted by kthackwray kthackwray wrote:

I have to say that the timing may not be perfect but she fires up ok and settles to an idle with a slight tappet noise which also needs to be sorted by the engine rebuild guy

So you're saying that you haven't timed it yet?
When people run down to the lake to see what's making that noise, you've succeeded.

Eddie
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-01-2014 at 2:21pm

No. Tune it first.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kthackwray Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-10-2014 at 2:42pm
Just a quick update - and possibly another question

So in the mean time I have had the engine rebuild guy have a look and we had to adjust the hydraulic rockers - tappet noise is gone - we then adjusted the timing and she is sounding much smoother. He set the idle a bit up because the motor is still tight and has to be run in.

Got her out on the water this weekend and had to gas it once I put it gear (or else the motor stalls )
Ran a couple of laps around the dam and the motor seems to getting better and better
Then I tried some adjustments to the carb - basically set the idle screw to as low as I could get it to idle - around 1000 rpm - then adjusted the 2 idle mixture screws 1 1/2 turns out from closed (from the PCM manual ) - settled on anothe 1/2 turn out on each for best throttle response result
I then tried to lower the idle a bit more but she won't drop below 1000 rpm which seems quite high for engaging the gearbox (and definitely too fast for a no wake zone ) Throttle response seems good though

So to the previous question - Is the engine responsive to the the idle mix adjusters? - Yes

Should I still be looking for a leak ?
I have not had the carb rebuilt - only put in a new carb gasket so far
I have jotted all the carb numbers down and will try source a carb kit next - then probably take it to a carb shop for testing

phatsat67 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phatsat67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-10-2014 at 3:13pm
What is the initial timing set at?? Not being able to idle the engine below 1000 rpms and a stall when going into gear points towards a big Vacuum leak. Verify timing is within the correct range then start looking for vacuum leaks anywhere and everywhere. Were the heads milled? Did the machinist mill the intake manifold to match the milled heads?

Also, you say it is responsive to the idle mixture screws. You should be able to kill the engine with one screw turned close to or all the way in. If you can't do that and the butterfly idle screw is all the way backed out you have a massive vacuum leak.
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-10-2014 at 4:16pm
You could take off the throttle cable from the carb to make sure that's not the cause of the high idle
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-10-2014 at 4:21pm
Maybe we should take a step back. I think we're all under the assumption that the cam has been broken in at a minimum. I also would not be dinking around with the idle too much before setting the rings. Maybe you can elaborate a bit on exactly where you are in the post-rebuild break in process before we continue.
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-10-2014 at 6:01pm
If you take one step back,you could fall in
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kthackwray Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-11-2014 at 6:19am
Thanks for the help
The heads were fine but I have a new block - so not sure if this would affect the manifolds sealing.
Post Build break in - the motor has probably run for 1 hrs max since rebuild
The rebuild guy suggested 2 - 3 hours at a constant 2000 rpm without hard acceleration for starters - and as I said - it fells better and better.
Timing - old school guy - so - adjust the point gap -turn the dizzy till she purrs and achieves the best throttle response.
At this stage I am still weighing up my options for when I get it out on the water again.I want to have a few things to try before I start stripping the carb etc.
I will run her on the trailer with a big tub of water and see if I can kill the engine by screwing in the idle mixture screws - this makes sense to me and quite an easy check to see if I have a vacuum leak

I also pulled the numbers off the Holley Carb - 9776 comes up on the Holley site as INSTALLATION & ADJUSTMENT INSTRUCTIONS 199R8407-2
Is this the same as the 4150 or 4160 ?
It has no electric choke ? is this original ?
Sorry for all the questions but I bought the SN with the motor in 1000 pieces

Hey - What a forum ! - thanks for all the help

8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-11-2014 at 9:23am
Yes, your carb needs an electric choke. I also suggest getting a timing light. The "old school" method worked but that was on vintage low RPM engines. A dwell meter wouldn't hurt ether.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kthackwray Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-11-2014 at 9:40am
OK - so it looks like the 9776 is not the original marine carb - just a generic replacement 4 barrel Holley for automotive use -
Hmmmm
Guy at the carb shop will see if it has the necessary bits for a marine application - looks like we are heading down another expensive upgrade !
Orlando76 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Orlando76 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-11-2014 at 9:45am
I wouldn't fool with trying to convert an auto carb to a marine. I don't think it can be done and if your carb guy says it can, I'd look for a new carb guy. If nothing else is bite the bullet and buy a marine 4160 from the mass rebuild company in Jacksonville FL. Not certain their name but several here used them.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-11-2014 at 9:47am

OK - so it looks like the 9776 is not the original marine carb - just a generic replacement 4 barrel Holley for automotive use -
Hmmmm
Guy at the carb shop will see if it has the necessary bits for a marine application - looks like we are heading down another expensive upgrade !

Get the proper carb. An obvious clue to it being an automotive is the lack of J tubes above the carb throat. How did you end up with the auto carb? Your "carb guy" at the carb shop? If so, he sure needs some educating!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-11-2014 at 11:03am
I wouldn't classify buying the proper marine 4160 carb an "upgrade". More like a cost of doing business.
phatsat67 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phatsat67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-11-2014 at 1:18pm
+1^^^

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kthackwray Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-17-2014 at 4:22am
I managed to source a refurbished 4160 in country from a hot rod shop who happened to have one - should get it this week and go from there !
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-17-2014 at 10:08am

I managed to source a refurbished 4160 in country from a hot rod shop who happened to have one - should get it this week and go from there !

Make sure it's the marine version. The 4160 comes in several forms. Which one did you get?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kthackwray Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-17-2014 at 12:07pm
Definitely a marine version !

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kthackwray Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-26-2015 at 4:53pm
So my refurbished Marine carb arrived and I wanted to install it and it has 2inlet pipes
So I starts to see what else I may need to change and noticed the
Vacuum pipe on the inlet manifold and start to wonder what this is for

And then bingo the penny dropped

I blocked it with my finger and presto the beast is tamed
A few more adjustments and she is idling at 600 rpm and crisp throttle response etc
Now the dilemma
Do I replace what looks like a new 450 cfm automotive carb with a really old looking 600 cfm marine carb and which looks like it has a pile of additional mechanical parts to worry about concidering the expected increase in fuel consumption etc
Gonna run it on the water this weekend and see how she goes before making a final decision

Orlando76 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Orlando76 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-26-2015 at 4:58pm
Automotive carb!? Whoa you are going to get heat from this forum

If I follow your post correctly:

Honestly yes, dump the auto carb. There shouldn't be any extra parts on the marine, actually the marine should have less. Fuel consumption increase? Probably going to be opposite.
CrazyCanuck View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CrazyCanuck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-26-2015 at 5:03pm
I'm no expert, but the higher max cfm doesn't mean you will burn more fuel. Not in normal cruising anyway. Unless I have it wrong.
I don't think anyone will say its okay to run an automotive carb at all.

I had one on my 78, and bought an Autoline carb. The Cm-702 is a reman of a Holley 4160 and worked great right out of the box at about half the price. So far I am very pleased at how much fuel the SN burns....
https://encrypted-tbn1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRtW3vJrMHLdqBzndt9VX3oOpBuRopGlzKq9Ea7pAO7wnTuoD8E8g
seacamper View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote seacamper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-26-2015 at 5:15pm
Hey Kenny
The guys are trying to tell you that the auto carb could kill you and anyone in your boat. The marine carb is made to keep gas and sparks back in the engine so that you don't blow up from fumes or burn up due to an out of control fire. The auto carb is a non starter.
1980 Ski Nautique Boat Bar
1988 Mastercraft Tristar Open Bow
1988 Mastercraft Tristar Closed Bow
1969 Seacamper Houseboat
1986 Harris Pontoon
2004 Seadoo GTX SC + Flydive Xboard
1999 Adventurecraft
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-26-2015 at 6:00pm
Originally posted by seacamper seacamper wrote:

Hey Kenny
The guys are trying to tell you that the auto carb could kill you and anyone in your boat.   

At least South Africa is far away from me so when it blows I'm still safe! Stick with marine!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kthackwray Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-27-2015 at 4:45am
OK - Got it - Africa is not a place for sissy's !
SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-27-2015 at 11:45am
All size carbs meter fuel at the correct A/F ratio. The engine only pulls the air it's displacement pumps (minus deficiencies). Bigger carbs don't drink more fuel for a given engine, they just allow more air flow. The downside is that big venturies are less responsive to low air flow, so a big carb does't work well on a small engine.
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic