NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Vintage Speed

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <123
Author
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-31-2014 at 3:47pm
I like the black windshield frame rendering.
NautiqueNut View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NautiqueNut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-31-2014 at 3:49pm
Wow that is a nice stock 62 Higgins. That is what we started with in 1970 but ours was restorable but not the boat we wanted for mostly barefooting. It could have been saved but my carpenter boyfriend had a different vision for the design. He would say that Higgins built PT boats during WWII. It just needed to be tweak a bit. We had years of fun with that boat.
62 wood View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 62 wood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-31-2014 at 4:11pm
   48 mph in that Higgins had to be a "ride"!

64 American Skier

62 Classic..
73 Ski Nautique
63 Skier View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 63 Skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-31-2014 at 4:12pm
I'd ask "was that on GPS" but ..... never mind. I didn't even have a speedo in any of our boats so would have to get someone with a faster boat to drive alongside to get any speed numbers. It was fun back in the day!
'63 American Skier - '98 Sport Nautique
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NautiqueNut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-31-2014 at 9:13pm
63 Skier; There was a speedometer, I did a lot of the driving back then I also purchased the Air glide 0-50 at a Kmart store back in 1972 for a Christmas stocking stuffer. If you look closely you can see it on a peace of clear plexiglass and the pickup on the transom similar to the 74 Ski Nautique. The boat was covered in 4 coats of fiberglass mat and then gel coated. Yep there were know GPS readings,but that boat would fly. All the guys did was barefoot.     
vernonfarmer View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vernonfarmer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-01-2014 at 1:09pm
LOVE those classic pictures, Lisa! Thanks for sharing. My "Higgins" neighbor loves 'em too. Hey, maybe we can find the old girl?
John
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-01-2014 at 2:54pm
Originally posted by NautiqueNut NautiqueNut wrote:

The boat was covered in 4 coats of fiberglass mat and then gel coated.

Lisa,
It's always sad to see someone glassing a wood hull. In the ACBS group, we call it "the kiss of death" since it expedites rot promoting an inevitable hull failure . Why was it done? Didn't the original hull float? Was there any attempt to repair the hull?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
75 Tique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-01-2014 at 4:14pm
There must be a statute of limitations on finding fault with someone's restoration, wouldn't you think?
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-01-2014 at 4:58pm
She did say they sold it 39 years ago,way before the Information Age. It was after all just a used wood boat,info was hard to get, lots of boats got glassed no one knew what would happen at the time.
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-01-2014 at 10:50pm
And it seemed to work out for them just fine. Not every repair/restore needs to last forever.
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NautiqueNut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-01-2014 at 11:02pm
John, I thought you fellas would like these pictures. Glad they are now a part of the CCF, forum's. I have a few more pictures if I can dig them up ill post them as well.
It was not to late for my 78
!978 Ski Nautique
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NautiqueNut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-01-2014 at 11:26pm
Pete, The boat was restorable back then, yet it was not the boat that we needed for skiing. It had been sitting out for years even though it was young in age. The boat became an experiment in low profile and speed, with a modern design. We were all 17-20 years old know info then about stuff as you mentioned. It was sad and crazy to destroy a vintage boat like that, hide sight is 20-20. We had 8 years of fun every summer all over Ohio, Pa. New York. The boat was a real looker in 1971
!978 Ski Nautique
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NautiqueNut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-01-2014 at 11:35pm
Re: Vintage speed, Once we got are hands on that first 1972 Correct Craft Skier, the old wooden re-glassed re-designed Higgins was history. Like you must know that was a real hot boat new.
!978 Ski Nautique
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NautiqueNut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-02-2014 at 12:43am
This was the 1972 skier, in 1974.
!978 Ski Nautique
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-02-2014 at 9:50am
Lisa,
It's great that you were able to use the Higgins for your needs back then and glad you were able to step up to the Skier when you were able.

Understand that my intent was not to find fault with the Higgins modification but to simply point out the problem with glassing a wood hull. Fiberglass came out in the boating would about the mid 50's. Chris Craft even tried it in the late 50's with their Silver Arrow which was glass over a wood hull. Problems were showing up even in the early 60's and the reason for Chris to discontinue making it. When I was working at Watercraft Sales (CC dealer) in the late 60's to the early 70's, I remember two glassed wood hulls coming in that had failed. The glass was coming off in large pieces. I was asked to repair one of them and found plenty of rot and glass fracturing at seams. Thankfully we didn't repair it since there was no way I could guarantee the repair.

Keep the pictures coming. We love them!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vernonfarmer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-02-2014 at 11:00am
Is that an AMC Matador back there?
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-02-2014 at 11:12am
Looks like a Javlin?
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-02-2014 at 11:13am
Looks more like a Javelin. My Grandmother had a 75 Matador ran good but really drove like a boat
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
63 Skier View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 63 Skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-02-2014 at 11:35am
I agree on Javelin.

Matador? What's a Matador?
'63 American Skier - '98 Sport Nautique
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-02-2014 at 11:42am
It was AMC's attempt to keep young drivers from borowing grandmothers cars to joy ride in

69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vernonfarmer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-02-2014 at 1:17pm
Don't forget this gem...the Pacer!
peter1234 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote peter1234 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-02-2014 at 3:22pm
how ironic ... the category is vintage speed . please move the rambler stuff to the anchor blog
former skylark owner now a formula but I cant let this place go
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NautiqueNut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-02-2014 at 7:55pm
John, not a problem I was not offended at all. If you would have been there back then, we were all kids making do. Money and knowledge was well, "lets do it this way". That boat may have delaminated at some point, but that glass and gel coat was on there when we used it. I wish I had the stringer repair photos of the old thing, there was no movement in the hull structure at any speed. All the old Higgins engine stringer support was removed and redesigned. My boyfriend was a fine carpenter and the thing was strong.
!978 Ski Nautique
IAughtNaut View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IAughtNaut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-02-2014 at 8:00pm
hang on, just saw the updated location on your post, Kirtland oh? I think I got arrested there once. I live downtown Cleveland, there are a few of us in the NE Ohio area if you're looking for skiing partners.
bring the ruckus
2000 Pro Air
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NautiqueNut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-02-2014 at 8:07pm
Originally posted by peter1234 peter1234 wrote:

how ironic ... the category is vintage speed . please move the rambler stuff to the anchor blog

I agree, but hey that was my first car 1974 Javelin. After I totaled it one night I upgraded to the gold 75 Trans Am. Us girls did like to drink a few back in the day. I don't drink any more, to old.
!978 Ski Nautique
john b View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john b Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-03-2014 at 12:36am
Pete, I saw a Silver Arrow at the Minocqua boat show. It is a unique and beautiful design. It's the only one I have seen, I assume they are quite rare. I spoke with the owner briefly and he related the story about the rot issue with the model due to the fiberglass applied over the wood. His was nicely finished and one of my favorites at the show, along with a beautifully restored Atom with a backwards Ford 170 I believe.
1970 Mustang "Theseus' paradox"
If everyone else is doing it, you're too late!

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <123
  Share Topic