Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

NEED SM BLOCK FORD

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
ccspud View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ccspud Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: NEED SM BLOCK FORD
    Posted: September-29-2014 at 4:41pm
I AM LOOKING FOR 289 FORD BLOCK OR A COMPLETE SHORT BLOCK 302 OR POSSIBLE 351 W REVERSE ROTATION.

I HAVE A 69 CC MUSTANG AND THE CYLINDER SKIRT IS BROKEN

I DON'T WANT TO SPEND A WHOLE LOT ON THIS BOAT

DOSE ANYBODY KNOW IT IT IS TRUE THAT YOU CAN CHANGE THE ROTATION ON THE TRANSMISSION BY TURNING THE PUMP 180 DEGREES?

THANKS

HAVE A GREAT DAY

DAVE
David Spaw
baitkiller View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote baitkiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-29-2014 at 5:16pm
STOP SHOUTING!

The transmission will only follow the engine rotation but the pump must be rotated to match that direction or it wont work. So if you are thinking about a LH engine you will have to rotate the pump and buy a LH prop.
You should stick with the RH if at all possible. Why not just fix the engine you have? Broken piston not the end of the world.
Jesus was a bare-footer.............
MustangMadness View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MustangMadness Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-29-2014 at 7:35pm
What is a cylinder skirt?? If you meant a piston skirt and there was not a lot of cylinder damage, I agree: fix the block you have..
I like a 6' beam on a small lake... My Muscleboat
1975 Mustang 225 307RH
JPASS View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JPASS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-29-2014 at 8:06pm
Originally posted by MustangMadness MustangMadness wrote:

What is a cylinder skirt?? If you meant a piston skirt and there was not a lot of cylinder damage, I agree: fix the block you have..

Maybe he means cylinder sleeve????

ccspud: maybe you can post a pic of the damage and we can better assist you.

'92 Correctcraft Ski Nautique
Dreaming View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dreaming Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-29-2014 at 8:32pm
unless there is other major damage, the RH components are not block specific IIRC.    The cam, lifters etc would need to be transferred to a new block, and the seals would need to be right hand, but I think you would be ahead to get the motor rebuilt in a RH configuration than buying a left hand prop, and reworking the trans pump.   From my limited understanding, reversing prop/engine rotation has been done on this site, but has its handling draw backs. If the cost/benefit of a correct motor doesn't make sense, you might just sell the hull project and apply the money to a boat that runs, you could be money ahead.   older 2001 hull boats are not very expensive in useable condition.   
ccspud View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ccspud Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-29-2014 at 9:31pm
THERE IS PART OF THE CYLINDER MISSING IN THE BLOCK. SO THE BLOCK IS SHOT.

I HAVEN'T CHECKED THE CRANK OR THE CAMSHAFT YET .... THAT IS WHAT IS NEEDED TO MAKE THE ENGINE ROTATE BACKWARDS FROM AN AUTO APPLICATION

I KNOW YOU CAN USE A AUTO CRANK ( WITCH I HAVE DONE ) BUT YOU HAVE TO PUT ON A "READY SLEEVE" ON THE BACK OF THE CRANK WHERE THE REAR MAIN SEAL RIDES. THIS WILL TAKE THE " KNURL" OR "HASH" OFF THAT SWIPE THE OIL BACK IN THE OIL PAN. THEN THE MACHINE SHOP WILL PUT ON THE NEW KNURL IN THE OPPOSITE DIRECTION OF THE AUTO CRANK OR JUST LEAVE NO KNURL.

WHEN ASSEMBLING, USE A RACING "DOUBLE LIP" MAIN SEAL. THERE IS SPECIAL RACING MAIN BEARINGS THAT HAVE SLIGHT GROOVES IN THEM THAT WILL "SLIGHTLY" REDUCE OIL PRESSURE ON THE BERING. SMALL BLOCK FORDS ARE KNOWN FOR REAR MAIN LEAKS IN PERFORMANCE APPLICATIONS (IE: MARINE APPS) WHERE THEY TYPICALLY RUN HIGHER RPM'S. WHEW! LOL

SOOOOO... I WOULD LIKE TO FIX OR REPLACE THE THE MOTOR OR SOME KIND OF BOTH TO GET THIS BOAT ON THE WATER NEXT SPRING AS ECONOMICALLY POSSIBLE.

I GOT THE BOAT THAT HAS BEEN IN A GARAGE SINCE 1975 WHEN THE MOTOR BLEW.
I WILL TRY AND GET SOME PICS AND POST THEM

OH. THE ALL CAPS IS BECAUSE I LOST USE OF MY RIGHT HAND. I FELT THAT ALL CAPS WAS BETTER THAN ALL SMALL. SORRY I DIDN'T MEAN TO OFFEND ANY ONE. i can type much faster without changing upper/lower case. i didn't know this was that formal.

Thanks for your help and advice. It's good to know

Have a great day

Dave    
David Spaw
Dreaming View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dreaming Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-30-2014 at 6:15pm
David G was trying to part his southwind a few weeks ago, and it looks like Zach @ N3 has a southwind motor that he is trying to sell also. check the parts for sale section, you might be able to get a good deal on either one of those . Good luck with getting this guy running!
62 wood View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 62 wood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-01-2014 at 12:31am
David,
I have a sbf engine in a late 60's Mustang I will be parting out sometime. Not sure if its a 289 or 302. Bought the boat last winter after it had been setting for a couple of years.
64 American Skier

62 Classic..
73 Ski Nautique
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic