Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Bearing buddy won't fit

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
BigAir View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BigAir Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Bearing buddy won't fit
    Posted: September-24-2014 at 7:37pm
I noticed one of the Bearing Buddy's on my 89 Ski Nautique trailer was gone. I replaced the bearings, picked up a new Bearing Buddy, went to put it in and it appeared to be too small even though it is the same size as the other side. Then I noticed what appears to be a sleeve on the other side that looks like it's pressed into the brake drum. The Bearing Buddy then gets pressed into the sleeve. The problem is that sleeve is gone too. My local boat dealer has no idea what I'm talking about and the guys at etrailer.com were no help either. Does anyone know where I can find a replacement sleeve?
dochockey View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dochockey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-25-2014 at 5:57am
I have a used one you can have it if u want send me a address
skidim also has them
1989 Teal Ski Nautique
1967 Mustang
Harris Float
Sunfish
BigAir View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BigAir Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-25-2014 at 6:47am
That would be great. Thank you very much. I'll PM my address. Be sure to let me know what postage costs.
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-25-2014 at 10:21am
If you guys could post pictures of what the heck you're talking about, that would be great. All of the cc trailers I've messed with have utilized fairly standard hub/bearing hardware, and use standard size bearing buddies. I haven't messed with the 5200lb (6-lug) stuff yet, but will be doing so in the near future.
SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-25-2014 at 5:20pm
My '89 trailer has the 'through the spindle' grease zerk - the hub cap has a rubber disk that allows access to the zerk.     Does your '89 not have the drilled spindle?    If so, someone may have changed the axle.
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin
BigAir View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BigAir Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-25-2014 at 8:50pm
Sorry. Skip to the next post.
BigAir View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BigAir Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-25-2014 at 9:00pm

Here is a picture showing what the other side looks like. Notice the sleeve inserted into the brake drum.

This is what the side in question looks like. The sleeve is gone.

My guess is that it's still bouncing down a road somewhere or possibly in someone's grill. There is a grease fitting on the spindle so I don't think that was ever replaced.   
SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-26-2014 at 12:25am
OK, now it makes sense. You really don't need bearing buddies, you just need a hub cap with rubber insert, like this.
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin
CrazyCanuck View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CrazyCanuck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-26-2014 at 3:01am
Can you not just get buddies for the diametre of the hub, and not use the sleeve?
https://encrypted-tbn1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRtW3vJrMHLdqBzndt9VX3oOpBuRopGlzKq9Ea7pAO7wnTuoD8E8g
JPASS View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JPASS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-26-2014 at 8:14am
Looks like the EZ Lube spindles. If that's what they are then there's no need for a bearing buddy.

'92 Correctcraft Ski Nautique
jimsport93 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jimsport93 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-26-2014 at 9:13am
Shop around some trailer shops or places like Northern Tool. There is a metal cap with a rubber plug that will fit over the end of the spindle/hub like in JPASS's picture. They do come in various diameters.
Had a bearing failure a few years back. Took me a while to find those metal caps, but I finally did.
kytom2 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kytom2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-26-2014 at 9:39am
Go to champion trailers, they have everything you will ever need.
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-26-2014 at 11:16am
Yes they are EZ lube spindles and the grease/dust caps with rubber plugs aren't that hard to find. It is a very common system and works wonderfully!
BigAir View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BigAir Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-29-2014 at 7:34pm
Thanks for all the advice. You guys are incredibly helpful and a huge asset to all the Correct Craft enthusiasts out there.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic