NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Underwater lights Sport Nautique

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
JLags View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JLags Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Underwater lights Sport Nautique
    Posted: September-18-2014 at 9:54pm
Who has done them and what obstacles am I facing? I have 96 Sport Nautique, I'm looking at putting underwater lights under the swim platform. Is there a way to mount them to platform and get the wires in the boat without putting holes in the boat?

Also any recommendations on which light to purchase?

Thanks
69barri View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 69barri Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-19-2014 at 1:33am
I have two Amphibian A-3's that I bought a few years ago on my boat. I had them mounted directly to the hull and drilled a hole for the wires. The picture is of my boat on Lake Hartwell at dusk in fairly cloudy water. The lights shine pretty bright even in less than ideal water conditions.
1963 Debonnaire Deluxe
1972 Separator Jet Boat
JLags View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JLags Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-19-2014 at 2:03am
Those look great! That's what I'm looking for, as I'm doing more night boating I really see the need for them. I'm just not sure about the mounting location with the transom cups in the way doesn't leave much room back there.
Double D View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Double D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-19-2014 at 4:02pm
I dont have a SN but was brought up on them and ski one every other time out so I'm think I'm allowed to be here... :)

I did add 9W lights to the stern of my MC. It wasn't that difficult as long as you can access where the wire comes in. (4) holes per light and three for screws. Used 4200 to seal them up. I could have gone brighter buts also more money! I plan to add a brighter one in the middle. Our Ohio water isn't the clearest water...

I'm not sure where to place if you have the single exhaust.

If its not a competition ski boat, its always second best.

1994 Direct Drive Open Bow Ski Boat
275 HP 350 Chevy Indmar
Monster Tower & PerfectPass
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-19-2014 at 7:20pm
Not a big fan of lights,what's next rod holders--- but how about removing the lift rings using a SS carriage bolt to fill one hole and using the other for the wiring run,then mount the light to the cup??
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
boardersdad View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boardersdad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-20-2014 at 5:36am
Originally posted by JLags JLags wrote:

That's what I'm looking for, as I'm doing more night boating I really see the need for them.

I'm not following... what need is there to light behind the boat? I thought these were purely aesthetic, except maybe for scuba divers or something.

Really... not being a smarta$$... would like to learn what these are useful for.
Orlando76 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Orlando76 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-20-2014 at 8:53am
I don't mean to hate but I don't understand the need for it on a ski boat either. Back in the day the purpose was two fold: attract baitfish when you're fishing and to assist Scuba divers while approaching the boat so you don't get a bobbing platform drivin in your head while ascending on a rough night. I installed 2 Ocean Led's, the round style about 15 watts on my last offshore boat. 4200'd them in. My advice, spend some coin on a good light such as the Ocean. You don't want a cheap one installed, start leaking internally then try to find another to match the hole size and bolt pattern. They are neat when docked at the marina at night in south Florida and watch the big snook under your boat but no way would i spend the $ and time for a ski boat... which in reality has no business running at night and takes away the originality of it.
JPASS View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JPASS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-20-2014 at 9:34am
I think people like them simply for how they look. I've seen several newer nautiques on the lake I mainly go to that have them installed.

'92 Correctcraft Ski Nautique
hotboat View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hotboat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-20-2014 at 9:44am
Perhaps for a peek while the gals are dipping?
Brian
JLags View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JLags Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-20-2014 at 11:47am
I not surprised this upsets a few folks. I understand it takes away from the original Nautique. I get it it I really do I watched Correct Craft build and test boats on Lake Conway growing up. But here's the reality the newer boats do have them and I use the boat at night allot. If had another boat I would use that one instead but I don't so I use my ski boat for other purposes. I know it sounds crazy but it's also a great leisure boat for the lakes and when I'm out at night it would be nice to see what's under the water around me and it adds some light in the darkness around. I looking at the OceanLed lights but there is limited space on the transom for them seems to be the biggest issue.
JLags View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JLags Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-20-2014 at 11:48am
That's seems like a plus, hadn't thought of that one.
JLags View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JLags Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-20-2014 at 11:51am
I suspect you might hate what I do for the parade in December too, but I'm going to share it anyway.
JPASS View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JPASS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-20-2014 at 12:37pm

I suspect you might hate what I do for the parade in December too, but I'm going to share it anyway.

I think I saw you last year at the christmas parade. Do those lights move? We saw a cool boat last year that had multicolored lights that chased each other around the windshield. Looked pretty cool.

Still trying to find something for the parade for our boat this year.

JLags View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JLags Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-20-2014 at 12:57pm
That was me, they all move and change colors with 200+ patterns.
peter1234 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote peter1234 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-20-2014 at 1:04pm
i think its your boat to do what you want and other than some keep it original guy 25 yrs from now having to fill in a wire hole or 2 does it even matter? i think the lights look great sitting in the water at night i love the under swim platforms when they are at a dock at night.
former skylark owner now a formula but I cant let this place go
tullfooter View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tullfooter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-20-2014 at 1:22pm
Originally posted by peter1234 peter1234 wrote:

i think its your boat to do what you want and other than some keep it original guy 25 yrs from now having to fill in a wire hole or 2 does it even matter? i think the lights look great sitting in the water at night i love the under swim platforms when they are at a dock at night.

+1

I think that lighting looks great. I installed a system on my pontoon and love it.

As Hollywood says, "Bend the Trend"
Play hard, life's not a trial run.
'85 BFN
'90 BFN

White Lake, Michigan

JPASS View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JPASS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-20-2014 at 1:48pm

That was me, they all move and change colors with 200+ patterns.

where'd u get the light kit?

halfnelly View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote halfnelly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-20-2014 at 1:50pm
Lots of newer boats have them for night time wakesurfing. There's plenty of write-ups on installs on wakeworld and planetnautique.com.
JLags View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JLags Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-20-2014 at 2:14pm
I built it myself with a control box and waterproof led strips. I only have it on for a few weeks for the parades then take it off. Realizing another boat last year attempted to duplicate what I've been doing I'm going to have to step it up this year.
GlassSeeker View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GlassSeeker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-20-2014 at 4:33pm
The underwater lights are typically cost prohibitive unless youve been hit in the head with a wakeboard.
This is the life
boardersdad View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boardersdad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-20-2014 at 6:16pm
James, it doesn't upset me at all, I was just asking what use they have. I am definitely not in the "keep it original" camp.

Steve (tullfooter), what kit did you put on your pontoon? I've been thinking about it for our pontoon.

Nighttime wakesurfing--is it legal? Would be great to have an after-sunset activity for the SN.

Thanks, guys.

Steve
MustangMadness View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MustangMadness Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-21-2014 at 8:52pm
I see no problem with them at all; frankly, they're kind of cool looking. I just would never drill a hole below the water line just to have them..
I like a 6' beam on a small lake... My Muscleboat
1975 Mustang 225 307RH
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic