Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

refinish teak platform

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
erad View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote erad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: refinish teak platform
    Posted: September-17-2014 at 6:50pm
Can anyone recommend a good quality teak oil to use to refinish my teak swim platform on the back of my 2000 Sport Nautique? I remember I ordered some online but I don't have the container and can't remember the name of it.

Also, is this the best way to refinish it??

I was going to clean it good with the StarBrite teak cleaner and a pressure washer. After it is well dried, I was going to use the teak oil.

Thank you!!
Dreaming View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Dreaming Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-17-2014 at 8:07pm
Erad - welcome to ccf.   check out the FAQ thread in boat maintenance, there are several good threads on this subject.   I have used starbrite's teak oil as well.

boardersdad View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boardersdad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-17-2014 at 9:58pm
Tim suggested the StarBrite Teak Oil kit to me. We used it and it worked out great. I don't think he uses the middle step (brightener) any more. We used all three steps. Our PO had varnished the deck, so we used CitriStrip spray to remove it, along with some plastic scrapers, some scrub pads and brass brushes. Getting the varnish off was more of a PIA than any other step.
erad View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote erad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-17-2014 at 11:39pm
Thanks so much for the info. I will check out the other threads as well. Definitely needs it as I didn't not do it last year and it looks awful.

erad View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote erad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-17-2014 at 11:39pm
Thank you!!
63 Skier View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 63 Skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-21-2014 at 12:45am
I just did mine a few weeks ago, will need to do it again as it drank up the oil. After reading some threads here I just used a stiff scrub brush to clean it, then applied the oil, I put 2 coats on. I used Watco Teak Oil, worked great. I didn't want it to be slippery and the brush did the trick without making it slick.
'63 American Skier - '98 Sport Nautique
erad View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote erad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-21-2014 at 10:54am
Thanks 63 Skier…..I used Starbrite 2 step cleaner/brightener yesterday and it looks great. I ran out of time and I wanted it to dry good so hopefully today I can start with the Teak oil. West Marine only had their brand and Starbrite brand Teak oil so I bought the Starbrite one. I have a hard time finding teak oil around here - must be I am not looking in the right stores. I think Watco is the brand I used two years ago but I couldn't remember the name and I had to order it online. Good luck with your platform and thanks for the info
OldSchoolBlue84 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OldSchoolBlue84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-21-2014 at 11:09am
Originally posted by boardersdad boardersdad wrote:

I don't think he uses the middle step (brightener) any more.

I would agree, the cleaner made the teak looked great! Once I used the brightener, it actually darken the wood and made it look like shzt it took me 2 bottles of oil to make it look good but the teak was diffidently dark. Going to change it up next year. Good luck on your project
63 Skier View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 63 Skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-21-2014 at 11:11am
You can get Watco at Home Depot in the paint department.
'63 American Skier - '98 Sport Nautique
jbear View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-22-2014 at 12:18am
Originally posted by 63 Skier 63 Skier wrote:

You can get Watco at Home Depot in the paint department.

after years of trying almost anything under the sun..this is the stuff I have settled on. works great & lasts long..

john
"Loud pipes save lives"

AdamT sez "I'm Canadian and a beaver lover myself"...
erad View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote erad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-22-2014 at 9:49am
Thanks! I will check our local Home Depot. Hopefully they carry it now. Can't wait to get started on the whole teak oil process and see how it comes out.
I appreciate all the help.
AAM196 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AAM196 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-22-2014 at 11:06am
I've used both the Starbrite 3 step and Watco oil. I found the best and easiest was to clean platform was:

1) wash it well with water, a little detergent with a touch of bleach, and a stiff scrub brush.

2) hose it off well and let it dry well

3) sand it with a palm sander and some 60 grit (don't go to fine)

4) apply 3-5 coats of Watco teak oil with a brush.. let it soak in and wipe excess with rag...

I thought 3 was more than enough until after a week at the lake I noticed around the edges it needed a few more coats

have fun... really an easy way to enhance look of boat.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic