NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Maybe a dumb question but...

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
barefootdan View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote barefootdan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Maybe a dumb question but...
    Posted: September-12-2014 at 6:08pm
This might sound dumb but is there any reason why redwood is not used for stringers? I will be replacing the stringers on my 1972 ski nautique promo boat soon and just thought id ask. Also just by looking at the stringers that are in the boat they are shot and I'm sure I won't be able to use them as a patten. Any advice or help would be much appreciated
Dreaming View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dreaming Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-12-2014 at 7:55pm
Douglas fir is usually the wood of choice, probably because of it's natural structural properties, and relatively cheap and obtainable nature.   Redwood is probably not as available in other parts of the country as DF, so I am sure that at least plays into the decision for most.   If you looked at structural tables, you might be able to determine if Redwood was as strong and as flexible as standard DF?   the other possible issue that I can see is bonding,   Redwood may have different bonding characteristics that would be less than favorable in an encapsulated stringer application.    Lots of stringer jobs have been done, so a search would bring up the best ones to review.   You can get the bottom of the stringer line matched to the hull by scribing(described a few times in the stringer threads) but for the tops, make measurements first, cut second.   Take LOTS of pictures and measurements, no telling what you'll need to go back and look at after a couple of months of forgetting Any reason that you want to blaze a new trail with Redwood?   LVL is a good option, as is COOSA, and I believe yellow pine has been used too.   Maybe you're just asking the question, but probably not worth blazing a new trail on a subject that has been done successfully with other types of wood previously... my .02
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote barefootdan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-13-2014 at 2:26am
Well it's just for the fact that redwood doesn't seem to rot like other woods. I know its much more expensive but I plan on keeping this boat for a long, long time. I just thought I'd ask even though here in CA Doug fir is just down the road at home depot
phatsat67 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phatsat67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-13-2014 at 11:04am
If it's way more expensive why not go with Coosa board and your kids, kids, grand kids wouldn't even have to re do the stringers again?
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote barefootdan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-15-2014 at 12:22am
Ok so if I do go with the Coosa where can I find sheets long enough to go the whole length of the stringers? All that I seem to find is 4x8 sheets. Are you able to splice two pieces to make the whole distance? Wouldn't that make a possible weak spot in the stringers?
SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-15-2014 at 9:08am
I think the Coosa is laminated with layers & the splice joints are staggered. Search for JoeinNY's stringer thread to read more about this.
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin
HatterBee View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HatterBee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-15-2014 at 9:45am
Coosa can be laminated in layers splicing them together. You can also get sheets up to 12 feet long, you just might have to special order. I did mine in coosa and laminated the sheets together staggering joints where I needed.
1977 Ski Nautique
Under Re-construction

My Rebuild Thread

phatsat67 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phatsat67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-15-2014 at 10:16am
I believe everyone who has went by way of coosa has done the joint lamination process because the special order sizing of parts goes through the roof. Regardless when laminated stronger and more durable than wood.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic