Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Trailer Repair

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
DMH View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Trailer Repair
    Posted: September-05-2014 at 2:22am
Greetings Ya'll,

I've been busy boating as much as possible. Now it's time to start working.

I am embarking on a few trailer projects.

- I am missing the two pieces of wood that stop the nose of the boat on the trailer, perhaps called bumpers?

It looks like it maybe a carpeted 18" 1 x 12.

Could someone please measure theirs and provide the dimension?

- Also you'll notice that the front eye has a rachet strap connected to it. I have looked at turnbuckles however the weight rating seems to be very low compared to the weight of the boat. Nor do I know how I woud connect this to the trailer.

Turn Buckles

- Lastly, I'm currently tying the stern down over the top of the boat just in front of the back seat. My strap is weak and I'm concerned that if a use a ratchet strap I may damage the corners on the top of the boat.

Any ideas on the correct way to tie this down?

Suggestions & comments appreciated.
Thank you

Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-05-2014 at 1:00pm
You can pretty much use whatever you feel comfortable with. Someone will measure their bow stop boards eventually. The turnbuckle doesn't have to be "rated" for the weight of the entire boat, but I can measure mine too. Use whatever strap you want in the back.
audiodude View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote audiodude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-05-2014 at 2:25pm
Is there really a need for the stern strap. I don't use one, haven't had any issues. Should I be using a strap?
1989 Correct Craft 2001

In the words of Milton Berle: "You can lead a man to Congress but you can't make him think"
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-05-2014 at 2:39pm
Some states require a stern strap... The only time you really "need" one is if you're in an accident. The boat isn't moving under normal driving conditions- I've towed half way across the country many times without straps. The few times I've used one, I put a rag or towel between the strap and gunnel.

Zach could tell you the dimensions of the crash pads or even sell you some modern Ramlin plastic replacements that will take abuse a little better than the carpeted wood originals.

Like HW said, the turnbuckle doesn't need to be rated for a dynamic load or the static load of the weight of the boat... Unless you plan to hang the boat with it of course. If you're just holding the nose down/forward like cc intended, a lower rated turnbuckle (like original) works great.
SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-05-2014 at 2:42pm
Here are some photos I hope will be useful.

My bow stop pads are 10 X 18 inch.

I welded on a little cross bar spanning the skid plates of the prop guard. Now i just strap down from the platform brackets. It is much easier than the gunnel strap I used to use.

“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin
AAM196 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote AAM196 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-05-2014 at 3:01pm
for the stern... you could use a ratchet strap from your swim platform bracket to trailer... just don't forget it's on there at the ramp

If I am traveling with a cover on tied to trailer, I rarely bother with the stern straps... don't ratchet too tight if you are going over top so you don't damage gel/fiberglass.
Morfoot View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Morfoot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-05-2014 at 3:04pm
Here is how I strap the Stern down on my 88'. Not quite the extint of Chris but works none the less....I too use the platform brackets but just use a short strap to ratchet it down to the trailer bunks.

Originally posted by AAM196 AAM196 wrote:

... just don't forget it's on there at the ramp!

Been there done that...works good too as the boat wouldn't back off the trailer AND actually floated the trailer over the ramp lane curb! Doh!!!
"Morfoot; He can ski. He can wakeboard.He can cook chicken.He can create his own self-named beverage, & can also apparently fly. A man of many talents."72 Mustang "Kermit",88 SN Miss Scarlett, 99 SN "Sherman"
rosconole View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rosconole Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-07-2014 at 12:53am
I talked to the guys at macs tie downs about this issue and they say you need double the working weight load for the strap so essential one over 5000lb rated and when you ratchet it down have atleast 2 wraps on the rachet for solid load capacity
1989 ski nautique ,1991 barefoot nautique, 1993 Mustang Cobra 1998 5.0 Magazine shootout invitee
DMH View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-28-2014 at 9:24pm
Hello All,

Thanks for your input on this project. A friend and I finally had a chance to put in place the new bunk carpet & bow stops.

Still working on the front tie down and having new guides welded.

Here a few shots for you.

Again, thanks for your suggestions.

GlassSeeker View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GlassSeeker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-28-2014 at 10:50pm
Now redo the lights...led maybe...at least have them match...cut off the excess threads on the bow stops...get a couple rattle cans and spray that thang
This is the life
GlassSeeker View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GlassSeeker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-28-2014 at 10:53pm
Maybe somebody can help you with a guide pole too
This is the life
DMH View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-02-2014 at 3:01am
I do have a welder friend who will help with the guide poles. They bolt on so I'm expecting the project to be straight forward.

Regarding the rust. It's not in budget to sand blast. As mentined maybe spay paint to hold the integrity.
I prob should at least try to remove a bit of the rust with steel wool or something before I spray the trailor.

Any other thoughts on that?
RobertV View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RobertV Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-02-2014 at 8:59am
I would suggest using a wire wheel with a drill for the rust. The wire wheels come in many different shapes and stiffness to suit your needs. If you plan to paint the whole trailer with spray cans then invest in a plastic spray grip/trigger that mounts on the can = your index finger will thank you.
Dreaming View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dreaming Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-02-2014 at 2:14pm
+ 1 for a wire wheel on the rust.   I used a grinder and harbor freight wheels to strip an old bronco last year.   it goes pretty quick and leaves a decent finish. make sure you have a face shield and wear long sleeves and gloves.... the wire wheels come apart as they catch on stuff, and you'll find the little wires in your skin and clothes.

JPASS View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JPASS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-02-2014 at 3:06pm
I've used Ospho on rusted metal before with great results.
'92 Correctcraft Ski Nautique
CrazyCanuck View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CrazyCanuck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-02-2014 at 9:38pm
Hammer tacker staple are not always galvanized. They may rust. I use Narrow crown staples on my bunks as they are.
I use my rear lift ring for my tie down straps.
https://encrypted-tbn1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRtW3vJrMHLdqBzndt9VX3oOpBuRopGlzKq9Ea7pAO7wnTuoD8E8g
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic