NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

How is the ride over wakes in a CC?

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
RobertV View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RobertV Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: How is the ride over wakes in a CC?
    Posted: August-24-2014 at 1:31am
Went out in the neighbors 2011 Seadoo today. Wife freaked when we started to do figure 8s any were slapping hard on our own wake. She said that is why I don't won't one of these boats (seadoo). How do the newer cc boats handle the same? I'd like to convince her that a 94 or newer will handle so much better. Is that the case? I thought it might be better because of the additional weight and length.
Am I correct?
Thanks!

escmanaze View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote escmanaze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-24-2014 at 3:05am
I don't think you'll find many people here who would even set foot on a Sea-Doo boat to be able to make any comparison of any value - we're a pretty snooty bunch, darn CC owners.

I also don't think you'll find many of us who know or care how our CC behaves when we start to do figure 8's.

If you are looking for a boat that cuts through waves well, you would probably want to look more toward an I/O style of boat. If you are looking CC because you love the quality of build, you might look toward Cobalt as an I/O style boat that still gets built really well.

If you're towing anything other than a tube behind the boat (slalom, footing, jump, trick, wakeboard, wakeskate, wakesurf) then you will love your CC. If you're towing nothing or you are towing a tube, you're buying the wrong boat.
MrMcD View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrMcD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-24-2014 at 6:05am
Our 78 Nautique was really rough on the lake in chop or large waves. Our 95 Nautique is pretty good on waves and chop, great compared to the 1978.. An Imboard outboard can run in much rougher water as noted earlier.
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-24-2014 at 9:02am
Originally posted by escmanaze escmanaze wrote:

I don't think you'll find many people here who would even set foot on a Sea-Doo boat to be able to make any comparison of any value - we're a pretty snooty bunch, darn CC owners.

I totally agree!
Robert,
Please send me whatever you and your wife are smoking! You must be very new to boating.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
JPASS View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JPASS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-24-2014 at 9:20am
Last weekend we got caught in a thunderstorm and the lake had about a 1' chop (lotsa white caps due to the wind). When we were going straight into the waves, the boat took it extremely well at speeds up to 35 mph.

Once on the other side of the canal we had to go through the chop at an angle due to where we were heading and anything over 20mph the boat was "crashing" off the wakes quite frequently. So we simply had to slow down for a bit to avoid the horrific sound of the boat smashing off the waves.

'92 Correctcraft Ski Nautique
RobertV View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RobertV Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-24-2014 at 9:29am

I also don't think you'll find many of us who know or care how our CC behaves when we start to do figure 8's.

If you are looking for a boat that cuts through waves well, you would probably want to look more toward an I/O style of boat. If you are looking CC because you love the quality of build, you might look toward Cobalt as an I/O style boat that still gets built really well.

If you're towing anything other than a tube behind the boat (slalom, footing, jump, trick, wakeboard, wakeskate, wakesurf) then you will love your CC. If you're towing nothing or you are towing a tube, you're buying the wrong boat.

I hear you about the Seadoo, but when it is the only boat that you can wake board behind you don't complain. I don't care about figure eights either I should have been more clear on that. I was just attempting to describe the scenario.
This will be for all water sports = waterski and wakeboard. I'm sure our daughter will want to continue to tube.
Thanks for the input.
RobertV View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RobertV Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-24-2014 at 9:43am
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

I totally agree!
Robert,
Please send me whatever you and your wife are smoking! You must be very new to boating.

LOL sorry nothing to share since nothing is being smoked.
Not new to boating. Grew up on the water. Last boat was a 34 foot Silverton cabin cruiser and there is a 20 foot Cobia CC sitting at our dock right now. Wife is relatively new to boating. She has only really spent serious time on a 24 foot Aqua Patio pontoon we had and the Silverton. Both boat are not a good comparison to a SN. She likes stable. I have a 1986 SN 2001 at home, but have only spent 20 mins on the water with it so far during pre-purchase test run and that was a very calm day.
I wanted to understand how the newer SN handled wake/chop/waves.
Cheers
jimsport93 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jimsport93 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-24-2014 at 10:22am
Robert, the Ski Nautique is a solid, well built boat; built primarily for skiing. It has a relatively flat bottom. Runs at it's optimum on smoother water. However, it will handle the rough water. You just have to slow it down and bit.
I/Os usually have a deep v entry hull. Ride higher in the water and can cut through the chop better. You sacrifice the easy ergonomics of a ski boat if you go with an I/O. Primarily ease of entry into the water. Much easier to climb back into the boat after skiing, boarding, tricking, etc. The wake of Ski Nautique is much more enjoyable. Safer and less likely to injure yourself, or one of your crew, maneuvering around that protruding and sharp outdrive and propeller on an I/O.
escmanaze View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote escmanaze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-25-2014 at 3:18am
"only boat you can wakeboard behind". I hear you there brother. About a decade ago I was in a position where I was just so desperate to get on the water that I was willing to ride my buddy's 1981 Cobalt, so I know how you feel.

If we are talking figure 8's or just turns generically, what your wife might like are the nice flat turns that come from the flat bottom of the boat. My wife HATED riding in that Cobalt because she felt like it was going to tip her right out of it every time we turned. In our 97 SNOB, it just turns nice and flat and she has no issues.

To add to Jim's comments above, the other great thing about the flat bottoms of the CC's will be the terrific wakes both skiing and boarding. The deep V bottoms of the I/O's (and likely the jet boats as well) always make for washed out wakes. They are no fun to do boardsports behind because you want a rampy wake with a peak, but you don't want it washing over. Then for waterskiing, these boats wakes just get rolly and soft, while the I/O's turn rampy and peaked to be extra solid.

With all that said, DD's and VD's are meant to tow on flat water, so generally speaking, they handle the waves and chop worse than any other style of boat out there. It just simply isn't the priority where their hull design is concerned.
RobertV View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RobertV Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-25-2014 at 10:26am
Thank you everyone for the feedback.
I hope to take our SN out the end of the week.
I need to spend some wheel time with her to get to know the SN better!
desertskier View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote desertskier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-25-2014 at 4:52pm
Our '89 SN (2001 hull) is noticably smoother through rough water than our '92 SN (NWZ hull).
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic