Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - 2008 SN 206 - oil pressure warning after heavy use
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

2008 SN 206 - oil pressure warning after heavy use

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
Salty View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Salty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 2008 SN 206 - oil pressure warning after heavy use
    Posted: August-19-2014 at 12:11pm
I changed my oil recently and used the wrong oil (5w-30) and began getting a low oil pressure warning after running and bringing it down to idle - I immediately changed the oil and used PCM's recommended 15w-40 and all is well.

However, this past week-end I ran it at WOT for less than a minute or so and when I brought it back down to idle when pulling into the dock I got the low oil pressure warning again (down at 5psi or below) but when revving up a bit would go away as pressure increased.

Next day ran a few sets at 3,000 or so RPM's (speedo not working per earlier post) and when pulling into the dock I got the warning again.

This boat has the EX 343 motor, has 900 hours on it and runs very strong - starts up imediatly every time, runs well, no blue smoke, etc.

Looking for some advise here - hoping that my rings aren't warn - has been well taken care of - prev owner did all oil changes and maintenance regularily .. etc.

Could my OP sensor be wrong? Only way to test with a manual OP gauge?

Thanks for any advise ...
Salty

2018 GS22 with Z4
2008 Ski Nautique 206 w/Factory Tower, EX343 SOLD
1978 Southwind 18 w/GM305, upgraded 4 barrel intake & carb, all original - vinyl & carpet, etc.

[URL=http://s328.photobucket.com
quinner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quinner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-19-2014 at 12:43pm
When you changed the oil did you drain or change the filter also?
You verified oil level is at the full mark?
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-19-2014 at 12:58pm
If the gauge and warning was fine before I wouldn't go suspecting that. I might drain the pan and fill back with straight 40 for a few hours (or longer if its happy) then back to 15-40.
Salty View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Salty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-19-2014 at 8:34pm
Thanks guys - yes, this was a full drain, filter drain and replace (since it was a brand new PCM filter) and refill with 15w-40.   Maybe a little mixing of 5w-30 and the 15w-40 but can't imagine it would bring down the OP that much .. more background - I have run it with out any incident over the last several week-end wiht out the warning.   Then I ran it wide open throttle for less than a minute with my boys in the boat for the last run of the day and when bringing it in to pull into the dock and up on the lift she started giving me the warning.

Next day after several sets of skiing and one long run - when I bought her back down to idle she did it again.

I believe I am going to replace the oil pressure switch/sensor and see if the problem goes away - am tempted to hook up a manual oil pressure guage to get a most accurate reading as well but hopefully the sensor is the fix.

I welcome any other ideas that I may be over looking ...
Salty

2018 GS22 with Z4
1978 Southwind 18 w/GM305, upgraded 4 barrel intake & carb, all original - vinyl & carpet, etc.

quinner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quinner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-19-2014 at 9:05pm
You probably know this, but when changing the remote filter you need to make sure the old gasket comes off, most likely if it did not you would see some oil leaking at the bottom of the filter.
Salty View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Salty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-20-2014 at 5:11pm
Yup - made sure of it! Thx.
Salty

2018 GS22 with Z4

JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-20-2014 at 5:34pm
Don't do nuthin but add another quart of oil, same stuff that's in there. Go back to running, report back what you find. If its right the extra quart shouldn't hurt it in the short term.
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
Salty View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Salty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-20-2014 at 8:37pm
I like it ... leave it to the guy with all the motor experience!

Hope you are doing well - been way too long.

Funny coincidence you will appreciate - the cabin on Lake Nottely we purchased - my next door neighbor is from Skineateles - he grew up up there and goes up every year in July to see family - it is always good to hear about drinks at the Sherwood - etc.   

Reminds me of your hospitality while I was up there getting the Southwind ready for transport to Atlanta! Good times....
Salty

2018 GS22 with Z4

CrazyCanuck View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CrazyCanuck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-22-2014 at 4:17am
My van had the same issue with low pressure at idle but otherwise fine. Switching to high mileage oil, (which has more zinc) raised the pressure back up. Been fine ever since. Maybe the 5 30 had more detergents in it...
https://encrypted-tbn1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRtW3vJrMHLdqBzndt9VX3oOpBuRopGlzKq9Ea7pAO7wnTuoD8E8g
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic