Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

89 teak swim platform

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
Strega51 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Strega51 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 89 teak swim platform
    Posted: August-18-2014 at 10:53pm
Where can I get a new swim platform for my 89. Some dope varnished mine and I think it might take to much work to bring it back. The wood is really grainy. Just want to see what new might cost.
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-18-2014 at 10:59pm
Check the CCfan store!!!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-18-2014 at 11:31pm
A gallon of stripper & a pressure wash will be much cheaper than a new platform. Yours is teak, which is NLA. I'm surprised Pete didn't preach 'Keep it original'!
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin
Strega51 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Strega51 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-19-2014 at 11:48am
I agree, but the wood grain is pretty rough. Someone drilled a couple of holes
thru 2 of the boards. I started to sand it. I'll see if I can bring it back to life.
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-19-2014 at 11:56am
Stop sanding
Strega51 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Strega51 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-19-2014 at 11:59am
Why? It has some sort of varnish on it. The cleaner
and brightner wouldn't touch it.
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-19-2014 at 12:07pm
That's because you are trying to clean varnish.

Originally posted by SNobsessed SNobsessed wrote:

A gallon of stripper & a pressure wash
Bri892001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bri892001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-19-2014 at 12:09pm
My understanding of the no-sanding has to do with the thickness of the wood, and the length of the screws that fasten the wood to the brackets. Potentially you could wind up with screw points sticking out.
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-19-2014 at 12:18pm
If the wood is rough and covered in varnish or poly, I'd be sanding too. I've had to resort to that on 2 occasions. One time I got lucky and it went bak together just fine. The other time required a complete re-configuring of the bottom frame pieces to accommodate the now-smaller top pieces. It also required all new screws that were larger and shorter by 1/4". I was fine with this, but it is a big job. Came out pretty nice in the end.

The platforms sold in the store are nice, I'm told... But they are a teak-alternative (ipe or jatoba). You could have a teak version made by teak world but you would have to supply all of the dimensions. I did this for a Ski Tique and was very happy with the results.
Mojo View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mojo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-19-2014 at 12:26pm
Originally posted by SNobsessed SNobsessed wrote:

A gallon of stripper & a pressure wash will be much cheaper than a new platform. Yours is teak, which is NLA. I'm surprised Pete didn't preach 'Keep it original'!

+1. Strip as much off as you can. I did one years ago. Most all of that varnish should come off with the stripper. I sanded mine in the end, but you do have to worry about the screw lengths !!!

Rework it and see if it comes out to your satisfaction. I'd say you'll like the result. if not, then you can go and reinvest on a new one..

Moj'
05' SV211 TE
73' Martinique
had:96' SNOB
had:76' Nautique
had 77 Tique

SkiSeneca View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SkiSeneca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-20-2014 at 1:31pm
Definately use stripper first - I'm an avid woodworker and have worked with teak and mahongany plenty of times. Once you get the old varnish off, use bleach to get the old dirt out of the wood and then rinse thoroughly afterwards. Then, wait - it needs to dry well so you do not trap moisture in the new finish. It will be fine to sand it lightly, but you should not need to do much if you strip the old stuff first. There are plenty of "safe" stripper out there to minimize the bad stuff exposure. Think of the $$$ you can save by just using some elbow grease!

Brett
Strega51 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Strega51 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-20-2014 at 2:00pm
I talked to the previous owner last night he swears there is no
varnish on it just oil. I'm going to try a different cleaner with a brass brush.
Strega51 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Strega51 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-24-2014 at 11:37pm
Thanks guys for all the help. I'm going to keep working at it until it got that golden brown color.
boardersdad View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boardersdad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-25-2014 at 12:05am
You can tell if it's varnish. We did ours this spring. PO had varnished it years ago, looked awful. We used spray cans of Citristrip. It took three applications and twice as much spray as I thought, but almost all the varnish came off. Then very, very light sanding. Then the Starbrite Teak Care Kit and it turned out great. Summer's almost over and it's looking thirsty again, so we'll oil it again soon. A few of my screws were sticking through so I swapped those out for shorter ss screws to avoid wrecking the wakeboards.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic