Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

velvet drive

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
juno View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote juno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: velvet drive
    Posted: August-17-2014 at 8:39pm
My prop continues to spin slowly in neutral as well as when the transmission is disengaged
Is there an adjustment that can be made or is this within the realm of normalcy
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-17-2014 at 8:54pm
Originally posted by juno juno wrote:

My prop continues to spin slowly in neutral as well as when the transmission is disengaged

The clutch plates are warped and dragging. The trans needs a rebuild.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
juno View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote juno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-17-2014 at 9:09pm
After 250 hers
Seems unusual that I would need a rebuild
I read elsewhere that slight spin where you can stop it with your hands is not uncommon
backfoot100 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote backfoot100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-17-2014 at 9:30pm

After 250 hers
Seems unusual that I would need a rebuild
I read elsewhere that slight spin where you can stop it with your hands is not uncommon

There are several here that have had the same problem. You can probably live with it until you ding something when you can't control idle speed maneuvers anymore.

Pete's right about a rebuild being the fix.

When people run down to the lake to see what's making that noise, you've succeeded.

Eddie
juno View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote juno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-17-2014 at 9:41pm
So fluid change,tightening packing or a cable adjustment to tranny won't do much?
CrazyCanuck View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CrazyCanuck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-17-2014 at 9:54pm
My 78 SN has 2200 hours on the hour metre. ( someone must have left the key on for a whole summer.....lol)
I have a dirty neutral just like you, and in my case, my boat does 2-3mph in neutral at 1500 rpm while the engine is warming up away from the dock. As soon as its warm enough to idle at 600, the DN is not as bad.
My tranny doesn't slip to my knowledge...(so far touch wood)
My boat does 45 mph with the original 13x13rh prop.
I count myself very lucky so far on this boat. But I know that a new tranny or rebuild is in my future at some point.
https://encrypted-tbn1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRtW3vJrMHLdqBzndt9VX3oOpBuRopGlzKq9Ea7pAO7wnTuoD8E8g
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-17-2014 at 9:59pm

So fluid change,tightening packing or a cable adjustment to tranny won't do much?

John,
I suspect the rebuild 250 hours ago was done by a HACK!!!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
juno View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote juno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-17-2014 at 10:12pm
I mean boat(1982 Mustang) has 250hrs on clock
Do I believe it... maybe not but that's what it says and boat throughout looks spectacular
SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-17-2014 at 10:28pm
Mine has had a dirty neutral for the entire 7 years I have owned it, & hasn't gotten any worse.
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin
juno View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote juno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-17-2014 at 10:31pm
I will give it a good run up on Moosehead Lake
Maybe a long 40 mile run will clear it up
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-18-2014 at 8:37pm

I will give it a good run up on Moosehead Lake
Maybe a long 40 mile run will clear it up

No, it will not. The clutch plates are warped and are dragging.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-18-2014 at 8:41pm
You could try tightening up the packing a little bit.
juno View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote juno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-20-2014 at 11:35pm
Tightened the packing 90 degrees and changed the fluid... no more spinning and when I disengage the transmission it does what is supposed to do... stop spinning
P71_CrownVic View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote P71_CrownVic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-21-2014 at 10:18pm
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

The clutch plates are warped and dragging. The trans needs a rebuild.

Pete is that more common to indicate a rebuild is needed or does slipping usually happen?

Mine still seems fine with 1K hours on it but I have a feeling I'll be doing a rebuild in the next couple years.
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-21-2014 at 10:41pm
Slipping is what causes the plates to heat up warping them then causing it to spin in neutral . Just make sure you keep it full of fluid,check it immediately after it's warmed up and shut off. Thousand hours are nothing
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-21-2014 at 11:20pm
Originally posted by P71_CrownVic P71_CrownVic wrote:

Mine still seems fine with 1K hours on it but I have a feeling I'll be doing a rebuild in the next couple years.

The Velvet drives are really pretty robust but still can be screwed up. I would have to say that at sometimes this trans was overheated.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
john b View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john b Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-21-2014 at 11:28pm
My Mustang ( that will be complete someday ) has 1652 hours on the meter and the trans does not have a dirty neutral. I can't say for sure that it has never been touched but the bolts still have paint on them. I don't know how long they last if cared for.
Neutral looks clean to me
1970 Mustang "Theseus' paradox"
If everyone else is doing it, you're too late!

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-21-2014 at 11:31pm
My 64 X55 still has no problems ether. I suspect John isn't telling us the full story!!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote P71_CrownVic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-22-2014 at 12:36am
Very interesting! I thought they were dicey after 1K hours but it sounds like that, with proper care and maintenance, they will last a lot longer. I have the fluid changed every other season and check it often.
john b View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john b Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-22-2014 at 1:01am
Yours will last forever, Matt. I can't tell it from new and that probably extends to the internal parts. If you ever decide to sell that boat you will have many interested potential buyers. I can't imagine there is a cleaner one anywhere.
1970 Mustang "Theseus' paradox"
If everyone else is doing it, you're too late!

Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote P71_CrownVic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-24-2014 at 5:07am
Originally posted by john b john b wrote:

Yours will last forever, Matt. I can't tell it from new and that probably extends to the internal parts. If you ever decide to sell that boat you will have many interested potential buyers. I can't imagine there is a cleaner one anywhere.

Haha, well thanks John! I'm going to have this boat for a very long time if everything goes to plan. Maybe more, who knows. I'd love to have 4 or 5 lifts outside of my place on Island Lake full of inboards. But this one will be my special occasion boat....like for going to the Lower Unit Bar and Grille or the Blue Bayou.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic