Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

6 Year project

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
jeremy087 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jeremy087 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 6 Year project
    Posted: August-02-2014 at 1:27am
So I bought my 1978 S/N in 2008 and I had no clue what I was in for. My dad and I were on our way to the Vet with a couple horses and we saw it sitting on the side of the road. After haggling with the owner I ended up paying $1800 and we were hauling it back to my house. It had a soft spot in the floor and the carpet and upholstery were in horrible shape. What lie under that was my worst nightmare. After removing the plywood from over the prop shaft I found that there was pieces of the stringer completely missing. So my dad and I ended up cutting the stringers completely out and making new ones, and fiberglassing the news ones in. We made a new floor and glassed that in as well. I had the upholstery professionally refinished, but I did the carpet myself. After I dropped the engine and transmission in, we tried to fire it up and found out that the block busted while sitting in the garage. So I got a new block and rebuilt the engine and dropped it and the transmission in about a month ago. Now I'm just waiting on some time off work to be able to try and fire up the boat. Any help that y'all guys can throw my way will greatly be appreciated. Thanks for all of the help on the previous forums also.
SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-02-2014 at 10:07am
Congratulations for graduating from the school of hard knocks. I'm sure you learned many tricks that you will be using for the rest of your life. Your boat looks great!   Still plenty of summer left to have fun with it.

Break the new engine like you stole it!
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin
AAM196 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote AAM196 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-02-2014 at 11:41am
Nice build you have going! Thanks for sharing..

Grey logo? That would be hot.
63 Skier View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote 63 Skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-02-2014 at 12:40pm
Nice work Jeremy, the boat is looking good! Bet you can't wait to get on the water. Did you check shaft alignment when you put the engine/tranny back in? Also, when you fire it up don't put it in gear unless it's in the water, you'll damage the cutlass bearing.

I saw in an old post you were asking about converting to electronic ignition, did you do that?

Let us know if you have any trouble getting it running.
'63 American Skier - '98 Sport Nautique
MrMcD View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote MrMcD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-02-2014 at 2:12pm
Before starting the brand new engine make sure your timing is very close to perfect and you have fuel in the carb or available to prime it for a quick start. If you crank and crank trying to start it you will damage the new camshaft. They need to fire right up and run at 1,500 to 2,500 RPM for the first 20 minutes with no interruption. This is the cam break in period. Only stop if you have a temperature or oil pressure issue. Cam break in is important. After the 20 minutes do all the fine tune and you are ready to enjoy your new boat. It looks great by the way. Nice work. My first boat was a 78 Nautique and we put 1,500 hours on it. Lots of fun and fast. They do great Bat Turns also, it spins so fast the tail comes out of the water and shoots a rooster tail of water from the prop as the boat U turns. My kids used to laugh like crazy when we did this. Enjoy.
jeremy087 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jeremy087 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-21-2014 at 11:50pm
Well 63 Skier my boat already had electronic ignition and I didn't know it. my dad and I timed the boat the other day but I didn't put a new cam in it when I rebuilt it so should I still be worried about breaking it in? I got the shaft aligned as close as I could and then I had a class in maintenance school about shaft alignment. So I took what I learned there and put it to use in my boat so now its with in just a few thousandths. Thanks for all the help and anymore help is greatly appreciated
63 Skier View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote 63 Skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-22-2014 at 1:12am
Good work on the alignment! No cam break-in needed since you're using the same cam.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-22-2014 at 10:31am
Hopefully you kept the lifters in the same order, from old block to new. They wear with the cam & are not interchangeable for reuse.

Ben Franklin
jeremy087 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jeremy087 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-26-2014 at 1:50pm
Well my granddad and I fired her up yesterday. She ran great but I need to adjust the carb a little because I had it rebuilt. She ran for about 10 min and the just shut off so next time I work on it I need to check for fire. My transmission will not go into neutral for some reason. Any ideas?
63 Skier View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 63 Skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-02-2014 at 12:09am
Jeremy, have you run the boat since your last post? Running for 10 minutes and then shutting off, I'm wondering about your fuel supply.

When you say it won't go into neutral - what exactly is happening? Does it go into reverse?
jeremy087 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jeremy087 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-05-2014 at 9:09pm
Well the tail shaft coming out of the transmission will not stop turning like when you put it in neutral. My fuel pump is still pumping. We took the line off the carb and it shot fuel out when I was turning the engine over
fanofccfan View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fanofccfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-05-2014 at 9:29pm
Dirty neutral. Clutch plates are warped from overheat at some point.
jeremy087 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jeremy087 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-05-2014 at 11:45pm
How would I have to fix the dirty neutral plates? Would I have to the the transmission completely rebuilt?
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-06-2014 at 10:52am
Yes, complete rebuild. I would just leave it alone unless it really bothers you or is posing a safety problem.

Ben Franklin
Frankenotter View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frankenotter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-06-2014 at 11:44am
just leave the dirty neutral until the trans really needs a rebuild.

Just make sure to turn the engine off when picking up a skier so someone doesn't "miss" the boat with a foot and get it in the prop.
1999 Ski Nautique 196
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic