NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Dual Exhaust

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
sanoman View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sanoman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Dual Exhaust
    Posted: July-30-2014 at 11:14pm
Has anyone converted an older single exhaust system to dual exhaust?

Advantages/disadvantages?

Dumb?

Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-31-2014 at 12:09am
What year is important
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
P71_CrownVic View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote P71_CrownVic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-31-2014 at 2:13am
Originally posted by sanoman sanoman wrote:

Has anyone converted an older single exhaust system to dual exhaust?

Advantages/disadvantages?

Dumb?

Haven't done it as my boat was built properly (with two)

No disadvantages though.

The advantages are huge and include proper noise level and your boat not sounding like a Hoover vacuum.
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-31-2014 at 2:16am
which is important while tubing
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-31-2014 at 7:53am
Yes, it's been done. There are advantages and disadvantages to the final result. It is a more complicated conversion than you might think.
sanoman View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sanoman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-31-2014 at 8:40am
Originally posted by TRBenj TRBenj wrote:

Yes, it's been done. There are advantages and disadvantages to the final result. It is a more complicated conversion than you might think.

Boat is an 89 ski nautique.l can see it could get way involved from the layout,right fittings and placement of mufflers.As far as correct height,you do have the one already installed to mock up from.As far as disadvantages TRBenj,what am l looking at?
backfoot100 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote backfoot100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-31-2014 at 10:03am

Originally posted by TRBenj TRBenj wrote:

Boat is an 89 ski nautique.l can see it could get way involved from the layout,right fittings and placement of mufflers.As far as correct height,you do have the one already installed to mock up from.As far as disadvantages TRBenj,what am l looking at?

Tim did this exact conversion on his 90. He used SS tubing that was mandrel bent to the right configuration on each side and was a trial and error type deal that was not only fairly pricey but time consuming. The end result was nothing short of phenomenal though.

You can do the same thing or go with some fiberglass elbows connected with exhaust hose and clamps or you might be able to do the whole thing with wire reinforced exhaust hose if you can make the bends needed. Then you also have to drill out a hole on the transom for another exhaust tip. That can also be a bit tricky to make sure it gets drilled so it looks good compared to the existing one. If you're going through this trouble, why bother with mufflers?

Another option is a premade Y-pipe arrangement available from Nautiqueparts.com that uses the existing exhaust tip. It eliminates the muffler so you get a great sound but it's a single exhaust. A much easier and still very effective conversion that just bolts in that several have done here.

When people run down to the lake to see what's making that noise, you've succeeded.

Eddie
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-31-2014 at 10:37am
It was actually mandrel bent pieces all custom fabbed (cut and welded together). That's the relatively straightforward part- though quite pricey. The trick is fitting everything into the space currently occupied by the steering system and gas tank.
scootdogydog View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scootdogydog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-31-2014 at 11:29am
1999 Python
1980 Ski Tique
1968 Mustang WIP
sanoman View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sanoman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-31-2014 at 7:56pm
Originally posted by scootdogydog scootdogydog wrote:

trbenj 1990 conversion

That's bad azz!!!

Wonder if you could use silicone elbows from silicone intakes.com? l can see where you would get into a pile of poop bending till ya got it straight (correctly aligned).l would definitely put silencers or mufflers on it. Don't like loud pipes........
IAughtNaut View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IAughtNaut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-31-2014 at 8:21pm

Don't like loud pipes........
rookie
bring the ruckus
2000 Pro Air
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-31-2014 at 8:46pm

trbenj 1990 conversion

That's bad azz!!!

Wonder if you could use silicone elbows from silicone intakes.com? l can see where you would get into a pile of poop bending till ya got it straight

The big problem is aft at the tiller arm.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
74Wind View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 74Wind Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-31-2014 at 9:12pm
Originally posted by IAughtNaut IAughtNaut wrote:

rookie

1974 Southwind 18
1975 Century Mark II
JPASS View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JPASS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-31-2014 at 9:38pm

trbenj 1990 conversion

What's the copper line going from the rudder housing to the transom in the first pic?

'92 Correctcraft Ski Nautique
backfoot100 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote backfoot100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-31-2014 at 10:29pm
Originally posted by 74Wind 74Wind wrote:

rookie

So why even bother?
When people run down to the lake to see what's making that noise, you've succeeded.

Eddie
sanoman View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sanoman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-31-2014 at 10:57pm
Originally posted by backfoot100 backfoot100 wrote:

Originally posted by 74Wind 74Wind wrote:

rookie

So why even bother?

Why don't you all just beat me up! :-) Just weighing the pros and cons.......

Duals always sound better.My 95 Prostar 205 had an awesome rumble to it with silencers.
P71_CrownVic View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote P71_CrownVic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-31-2014 at 11:01pm
Originally posted by Hollywood Hollywood wrote:

which is important while tubing

Why is that? Do you do a lot of tubing?

I just don't follow your "logic" that the auditory response one gets while their boat is running somehow affects the experience while tubing.

I'm eagerly awaiting your explanation though.
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-31-2014 at 11:44pm
When I'm tubing competitively,especially on a short line,the quieter single exhaust really helps. My scores average 8% better with the 95 even though it accelerates slower than the 69. The playpen works out well too,it's easier to get Quinners empties out of there compared to a closed bow.
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
gun-driver View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gun-driver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-31-2014 at 11:48pm
^^

Pete will probably chime in soon since he is the in house tube expert.

I believe it has to do with the force of the duels acting against lift while trying to over come the drag coefficient which initially effects the relative wind as the tube goes airborne from wake to wake. Just my guess at it
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-01-2014 at 12:52am
Few more hours Paul

69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-01-2014 at 5:42am
same as how it makes the driving or riding in the boat experience better
86BFN View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 86BFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-01-2014 at 9:39am
Mufflers? Who needs Muffler?

LOUD PIPES SAVE LIVES!

+1 for Eddie
👣 Steve
86 Barefoot Nautique

89 Martinique
Former Owner: 93 Hydrodyne 350 MAG
Bri892001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bri892001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-01-2014 at 10:57am
Originally posted by JPASS JPASS wrote:

trbenj 1990 conversion

What's the copper line going from the rudder housing to the transom in the first pic?

I'd have to believe it's a remote for the rudder port zero grease fitting. So, it can be greased without taking the floor and seat out.

Mine has a regular zerk, and it's a bit of a PITA, and I don't even have a back seat to move out of the way.

Actually, you can get kits with flexible tubing for this purpose. I guess I'd just have to figure out where I want to mount the end.
JPASS View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JPASS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-01-2014 at 11:09am
Originally posted by Bri892001 Bri892001 wrote:

I'd have to believe it's a remote for the rudder port zero grease fitting. So, it can be greased without taking the floor and seat out.

Mine has a regular zerk, and it's a bit of a PITA, and I don't even have a back seat to move out of the way.

Actually, you can get kits with flexible tubing for this purpose. I guess I'd just have to figure out where I want to mount the end.

That's what I thought. When I went back and looked at the pics, I didn't see any zerk fitting to the right of the exhaust tip on the outside of the hull.

Definitely a cool idea though.

'92 Correctcraft Ski Nautique
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-01-2014 at 11:12am
it would be on the left from the outside so try looking there...
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-01-2014 at 11:20am
Read more closely... Pic posted of the bilge wasn't my boat (I failed to get a "before" shot) so don't expect to see a zerk on my transom. That greasable port came later- 94 or 95 maybe? Is it still in use or did it go away?
Bri892001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bri892001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-01-2014 at 11:49am
I would tend to want the fitting to still wind up in my boat somewhere. That pic makes it look like the fitting would be under the waterline on the exterior, which seems a little wrong somehow.

With the kits, you can choose the length you want. With the V-Drive length, you could probably have it pop up under the motor box somewhere on a direct drive:

http://www.nautiqueparts.com/rudderportservicewhip51incbracket.aspx
john b View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john b Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-03-2014 at 1:10am
If Tim touched it, it's beautiful!
1970 Mustang "Theseus' paradox"
If everyone else is doing it, you're too late!

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic