Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Bogging into limp home mode

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
Heaktwin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Heaktwin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Bogging into limp home mode
    Posted: July-30-2014 at 12:36pm
I have a 1994 Nautique with a Pro Boss that has been modified back to carb after issues with the Fuel Injection by the previous owner. The boat has 240 hours of use despite being 20 years old. So it did not get used much. I am experiencing an intermittent condition where the boat bogs down to 4 cylinders under load. I then get the red warning light in the middle of the dash despite water temp running normal and oil pressure at normal. I initially had a float sticking in the carb, so it was flooding so I thought this was the problem. After rebuild of the carb, the symptom continues. It is like the engine is going into limited run to limp back to the dock due to a sensor error. Has anyone out there experienced this? I am stumped everything else on the engine seems fine, good plugs good connections etc.
heaktwin
SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-30-2014 at 12:38pm
Do you still have the original ignition system?

Sounds like it is starting to fail.
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin
Heaktwin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Heaktwin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-30-2014 at 1:03pm
I do not know if it is original, it is the coil distribution type black box. I did find a loose plug wire on the ignition box that once cinched corrected the bogging temporarily but now the symptom continues, no power, missing at idle... just runs enough to get me back to the lift. Starts fine, idles at the dock but the second I accelerate and load up the engine it bogs.
heaktwin
Bri892001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bri892001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-30-2014 at 1:14pm
The fact that it's also throwing a dash light makes me suspect it's a faulty switch or switch connection.

These motors have oil pressure and temperature SENDERS for the gauges.

And, they have oil pressure and temperature SWITCHES for the Protec and, I think the switches also work the dash alarm, maybe someone can confirm this.

I believe the test is to disconnect the wires going to the water temp switch and the oil pressure switch, one at a time, to see if this improves things. If so, it might be the switch.

Heaktwin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Heaktwin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-31-2014 at 1:05pm
Thanks for the suggestions I guess I am taking the dash apart. Appreciate the help.
heaktwin
Bri892001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bri892001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-31-2014 at 1:27pm
Originally posted by Heaktwin Heaktwin wrote:

Thanks for the suggestions I guess I am taking the dash apart. Appreciate the help.

Wait! The switches I refer to are on the engine side, not the dash side.
Bri892001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bri892001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-31-2014 at 1:32pm
Heaktwin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Heaktwin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-31-2014 at 1:49pm
Got it thanks….the engine mounted sending units for oil pressure and water temp.
heaktwin
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic