NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Tower on SNOB - Got pics?

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
escmanaze View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote escmanaze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Tower on SNOB - Got pics?
    Posted: July-27-2014 at 7:19pm
Hi Everybody,
I'm currently running a 97 SNOB. The thought crosses my mind every now and then of putting a tower on it. However, I would have to be absolutely in love with the looks of the tower in order to go for it. Do any of you have pics of your towers on a similar model boat that look awesome? I would love to see your pics to see if there is one I fall in love with.

Thanks

Scott
DMH View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote DMH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-27-2014 at 11:07pm
Rowell's Aviator is a sweet tower: http://www.roswellwakeair.com/series_elite/wakeboard-tower-aviator/
P71_CrownVic View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote P71_CrownVic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-27-2014 at 11:22pm
Originally posted by escmanaze escmanaze wrote:

Hi Everybody,
I'm currently running a 97 SNOB. The thought crosses my mind every now and then of putting a tower on it.

Please don't. Resist the urge to ruin your boat...
escmanaze View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote escmanaze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-28-2014 at 2:47am
Ha ha! Thanks for the vote P71. That actually is part of what holds me back on a tower is that I know that this boat is the kind that ski purists love, and a large portion of them would also see it as "ruining" the boat. However, for me functionally, it would add a lot as I ski as well as wakeboarding and wakeskating. That's why I say, I would have to be absolutely in love with the tower in order to even fully consider it.

That Roswell is indeed a sweet looking tower, however, on the pics they have of the sport nautique they have it mounted back so far that it would interfere with shortline slalom skiing. To put it up further, closer to the windshield I think the tower suddenly wouldn't look nearly as good and would also interfere with vision as well. So in the end, I love that tower, but I don't love that tower for my particular boat setup.
rleinen79 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote rleinen79 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-28-2014 at 11:19am
Don't do it. Best of both worlds. Takes 2 minutes to put up and take back down. Use it when you need it and put it away when you don't.

quinner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote quinner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-28-2014 at 4:31pm
Look up New Dimensions, would imagine they have pics of your hull with a tower.

There is certainly some great advantages to having a tower but it also may come with some sacrifices as well. Cover will need to be modified and the covering around the tower is almost always a pita, if you park where there is a low overhead, lift w/canopy, standard garage door, etc., you may need to fold the tower to get in/out, additional weight will have a negative effect on your slalom wake, bug collector when towing and if you already have a Bimini it likely will need to be modified to work with the tower.
Whatever you do, it's your boat so make it work best for your wants and needs, and have fun with it!!
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-28-2014 at 7:09pm
Your desire is not far out of line. Correct Craft made the Air 196 for 2002 (only). So, same boat other than gel pattern. That said, I'd strongly opt for an original FCT2 or a New Dimensions. Others with similar styling look alright, but they just don't match the crisp, smooth lines of a 1997 Ski Nautique.

These aren't horrible.

Meh.

Unacceptable.

escmanaze View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote escmanaze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-05-2014 at 2:30am
Air Nautique 196? I didn't even know that existed. If one of those ever comes up for sale in my area, that is going to be a serious temptation.

@rleinen79, a 10 foot pole setup is what I'm currently running. However, mine takes more than 2 minutes to set up - maybe I just haven't gotten as fast as you at it yet. It's not bad - just a touch annoying, which is why I would have to be in love with the tower I choose.

Based on what I have seen so far, I think it would be the New Dimension or nothing (because the actual flight control isn't offered anymore right? and the new dimensions is basically the exact same?)

Man that air 196 is just awesome. However, since they only made it for 1 year, that tells me it wasn't flying off the showroom floor, which tells me it might not fly off my showroom floor when it is time for me to sell the boat if I toss a tower on it and make it equivalent. Decisions, decisions, decisions.
Donald80SN View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Donald80SN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-05-2014 at 11:03am
Re-sell is something you need to consider. How about sell your 196 and move up to an Air Nautique (21 ft) and then you will have more space to store items and such.
escmanaze View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote escmanaze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-06-2014 at 3:11am
Well I spend 75% of my time waterskiing and I'm still running 15 off at speeds less than 34 mph. So I really enjoy / need the tiny wake that the 196 gives me. Also, space isn't an issue as I usually ride with 3 people or less and we usually hang out all day at the dock at the ski course where there is plenty of space to put stuff.

Right now, I'm taking 10 minutes to set up the pole and then 10 more minutes to take it down when we are done for the day and I'm just thinking that for $2k or so, I could just have the tower ready and waiting for that 25% of the time when I wakeboard or wakeskate. However, it is actually costing me more than $2k if it reduces the resell value of my boat by $1k That much money for 20 minutes per outing saved? How much do I really think my time is worth?

This is the dilemma I live in. 1st world problems.
quinner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quinner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-06-2014 at 9:57am
Personally don't feel a tower on your SNOB will have a negative effect on the resale value, if anything it could slightly increase it. If you take the 03' thru 09' SNOB (aka 206) as an example, majority of what you see pop up for sale were factory ordered/built with towers, my own 206 included. As mentioned earlier though, if looking to save time the tower may only be a wash at best vs a pylon extension depending on your usage, covering will take longer and if the tower needs to be folded for parking/storage, etc. that will take time as well.
AAM196 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AAM196 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-06-2014 at 2:30pm
A guy on the lake I frequent has an air 196 just like that one... though I've never seen him with that naughty looking librarian in the photo...

I would never advise anyone to tower a boat unless it was a necessity... but if you must, the Roswell with the bimini, rack and NO SPEAKERS is the way to go IMHO... what do they even sell for? Look expensive.
escmanaze View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote escmanaze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-24-2014 at 2:50am
Ha ha ha!! If it came with the naughty librarian, well now we have a totally different story on our hands.

I think you make a good point Quinner that if I don't have a tall garage and I am folding the tower every time, who knows just how much time I might actually save or not save.
escmanaze View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote escmanaze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-24-2014 at 2:55am
I guess as far as value goes, I could check the blue book difference between the AN196 and the SNOBs of the same 2002 model year to see what that looks like.
boardersdad View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boardersdad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-24-2014 at 1:52pm
Hmm, Andrew... a tower with no speakers? That naughty looking librarian will be on someone else's boat. It depends who the boat is for. If it's for kids in their teens or 20's, the stereo is pretty darned important. Who am I kidding... the stereo on our big pontoon boat is pretty darned important, lol. It all depends on how seriously you're into music, I guess. Tower speakers aren't for Paul Harvey reruns. (Who??... says my son...)
75 Tique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-24-2014 at 3:05pm
                                         Day!

Good
jimsport93 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jimsport93 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-24-2014 at 3:16pm
You know I have it bad when I did not even notice the Naughty librarian. Was looking at the boat and lines of the tower. Geez, sure do love these boats
jbear View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-25-2014 at 1:05am
Yikes...Jim I had to go back & look as well..

Rob..have always liked the looks of that boat...

john
"Loud pipes save lives"

AdamT sez "I'm Canadian and a beaver lover myself"...
jdmoore59 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jdmoore59 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-25-2014 at 6:50pm
Here is a 2001 Air 196 on Craigslist....

http://littlerock.craigslist.org/boa/4587419303.html

2001 Super Sport
gdenkman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gdenkman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-26-2014 at 1:08am
Scott,
I have a Aerial Airborne Wakeboard Tower. A few pics of SNOBs with the same tower, one of which is mine.
94 Ski Nautique
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic