Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Transmission Clutch Plates

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
Big Fish View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Fish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Transmission Clutch Plates
    Posted: July-24-2014 at 6:07pm
I’m continuing work on my 82 Skin Nautique project and determined the oil pump in the transmission was installed for a left hand rotation engine. (The engine and transmission were rebuilt prior to me buying the boat.) I’m in the process of getting the pump reversed and the mechanic indicated that the transmission was rebuilt with paper clutch plates, not brass that is normal for these boats.   They are recommending to install brass clutch plates.   My question is, what can I expect without the brass?   How well will the transmission hold up? I imagine there will be increased wear during starts due to the high stress placed on it at that time. I’ll mostly be pulling up little kids (less than 100 pounds).   If I’m not too aggressive, could I expect to get several years out of this?   

Any advice would be appreciated.
davidg View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote davidg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-24-2014 at 6:20pm
I don't know how many years you could get with paper clutch plates, but, I sure wouldn't risk it for a few bucks. I would spend the money and go with what is supposed to be in there. I guaranttee you that you will have a 250 Lb. buddy out as soon as you get it all back together, and toast everything. Your mechanic is in there now. Have him do it right the first time. It will be a big job to pull the tranny back out, and have it rebuilt again.
Big Fish View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Fish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-24-2014 at 6:28pm
They quoted $2500 to put in brass plates. It seems cheaper to just buy a new transmission.
davidg View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote davidg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-24-2014 at 6:35pm
I would find a new mechanic...FAST!!!! From what I have seen on this site, it should cost $600-$700 for a rebuild. It sounds like the guy is trying to rip you off.

Call Zach ad N3 in Indy or Skidim to see what a rebuild kit costs, and what types of clutch plates it has in it.
Orlando76 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Orlando76 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-24-2014 at 6:43pm
Yeah 2nd the "find a new mechanic" I think Joe in NY has a complete one ready to go. From what I understand $700 is standard price, might need a return core though.
Big Fish View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Fish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-24-2014 at 6:45pm
That's what I thought. Maybe there was a miscommunication between the mechanic and the person I spoke with. I think the mechanic said the final bill (for all the work) would be $2500 and she interpreted it to be $2500 for just the clutch replacement. Better call them back to clarify. It really helps when you can speak directly to the person doing the work.    
Orlando76 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Orlando76 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-24-2014 at 6:59pm
Is the transmission the only work being done?
gun-driver View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gun-driver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-24-2014 at 7:03pm
$2,500 bucks is still to much even for the whole job.
You can get a new one for 1,750.
http://www.skidim.com/prodinfo.asp?number=RA157001
baitkiller View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote baitkiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-24-2014 at 7:14pm
THOUGHTS:
How the F%#ck does he know what plates are in it? Rotating the pump does not afford one a view of the internal packs.
Full kit with seals and plates is <300 clams I paid $140 jobber.
Jesus was a bare-footer.............
Big Fish View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Fish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-24-2014 at 7:15pm
No, I'm getting some other work done too. If my inerpretations are correct, they are adding about $1200 to do the brass plates which still seems high. I'm thinking of just running it with whats in it if I think I can get a few years out of it. In the meantime, I'll look for another shop!
gun-driver View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gun-driver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-24-2014 at 8:15pm
What else are you getting done is it transmission work???
Once again!!!
brass plates 1200 + other work = 2500
brand new 1700 drop in and go
He's charging you way to much
GottaSki View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GottaSki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-25-2014 at 10:52am
Lunacy

Besides, the factory plates I took out of mine were fiber and lasted 25 years.

If he already looked them, he's already done half the work. I concur, some scamming going on.
"There is nothing, absolutely nothing, half so much worthwhile as messing around with boats...simply messing."

River Rat to Mole
JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-25-2014 at 10:58am
Originally posted by GottaSki GottaSki wrote:

Lunacy

Besides, the factory plates I took out of mine were fiber and lasted 25 years.

If he already looked them, he's already done half the work. I concur, some scamming going on.

Absolutely right, the majority of the ones I have seen were fiber plates, presumably from the factory - nothing wrong with them.

FYI switching the pump from one rotation to the other, once the transmission is removed from the engine takes less than 5 minutes.

1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
backfoot100 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote backfoot100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-25-2014 at 11:13am
I didn't even realize you could get the brass plates any more. The standard plates from ebasicpower are all fiber now and they work just fine.

That's a pretty convincing upsale scam though. Haven't heard that one before.

When people run down to the lake to see what's making that noise, you've succeeded.

Eddie
JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-25-2014 at 12:09pm
Last ones I got Eddie were all brass, I don't think they discriminate either way.
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
Big Fish View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Fish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-29-2014 at 6:22pm
Thanks everyone for the postings and advice. I've been wanting to check the responses but have been off the grid over the weekend camping with kids. At this point, I just want to get the transmission back in the boat and get it the he!! out of there.   I will give it a go on the fiber clutch plates as it seems like some people have had good luck with them and I don't plan to have too heavy a load on the boat.

If you know of a good shop in the western PA or Eastern Ohio area please forward the name.

Thanks again!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic