Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Trailer question

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
captbob626 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote captbob626 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Trailer question
    Posted: July-21-2014 at 6:11pm
I have an 83 ski nautique on an original trailer . The skids are close to the ground. I have about 125 lbs tounge weight. I acquired a new prop 540 acme, 13x12. When I went to put it on, the prop hits the tounge of the skid guard. If I move the boat back I lose the tounge weight. If I shim the skid down from the trailer I lose ground clearance. The bunks are 2 x3 look like original on the frame.   Has any one else run into this?
Bob Meimbresse
quinner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quinner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-21-2014 at 6:19pm
Shim the bunks up
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-21-2014 at 6:28pm
How the heck would you do that, CQ?

Add washers under the prop guard and sacrifice ground clearance... If you don't already have a bunch, then you should! If you need to increase ground clearance, look at changes to springs, tires or tongue height- but I bet you won't notice the difference. I'm surprised you're having a clearance problem specific to the acme though- despite looking larger, the diameter is the same, and with the aft rake, you should actually have MORE clearance.

I'd also move the crash pads forward an inch or so, 125 lbs is on the light side- you want 10%.
Air206 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Air206 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-21-2014 at 6:36pm
Originally posted by TRBenj TRBenj wrote:

I'm surprised you're having a clearance problem specific to the acme though- despite looking larger, the diameter is the same, and with the aft rake, you should actually have MORE clearance.

+1 That's what I was wondering..... Is it not seated well on the taper?
DayTony View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DayTony Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-21-2014 at 7:01pm
You may have another issue that your overlooking and that is your springs? They may need to be replaced if they are sagging and that is your ground clearance issue solved.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote captbob626 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-21-2014 at 8:53pm
I have about 1.5" under the skid. 1/2" between prop and skid, and      1 1/4" between gard and frame. springs are almost parallel with frame. The other thing I thought about was reversing the receiver and ball. that drops it about 2" and leave more clearance between skid and ground. may help tounge weight a little. Right now frame is papallel to drive.
Bob Meimbresse
ny_nautique View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ny_nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-21-2014 at 9:02pm
What size tires do you have? That is awfully low. Show us a picture of the trailer hooked up to your tow vehicle. It should be pretty level. If not, yes, drop the ball a bit.
- Jeff
1999 Ski Nautique
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-21-2014 at 10:19pm
It looks like you have plenty of prop clearance? Wouldn't it be physically impossible for the 2 to come in contact?
SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-21-2014 at 11:05pm
So how high is the hitch coupler? Can you drop it any? Maybe just turn the receiver over & remount the ball. Then you could lower the prop guard.
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin
malibud View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote malibud Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-21-2014 at 11:20pm
I just added an extra 2x6s to the bunks and dropped my ball but I have a pretty high truck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote captbob626 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-21-2014 at 11:39pm
I am goingto try that. .
Bob Meimbresse

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote captbob626 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-22-2014 at 7:55pm
I reversed the receiver and turned the ball. Works ok but trailer sits a little down at the tounge. Seems to work and gives me plenty of clearance under the skid.
Bob Meimbresse

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote captbob626 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-22-2014 at 7:56pm
Thanks for the suggestions.
Bob Meimbresse
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic