NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

IT FLOATS!!!!!

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
gR@HaM View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gR@HaM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: IT FLOATS!!!!!
    Posted: July-19-2014 at 9:02pm
Hi, its been a while - been so busy beavering away on the Tique I've had no time to post. Shall update my project thread shortly as have plenty of photo's to share..
Tonight was a big night for me, after 2 and a half years I FINALLY got it out on the water for the first time
Im massively impressed with the power this little boat has, and as for the wake its much better than I hoped for!!

However, as I was expecting the maiden voyage wasn't without its problems. My club is situated on a large but tidal river, 10 mins into the first run I put it into neutral after which the engine died and wouldnt restart. Pulling the flame arrestor and I found the primaries were dripping (again!!!).
The engine wouldnt restart due to being flooded but luckily there was another boat out so I managed to get a tow back and after a lot of fighting with the tide we got it back on the trailer.

Im hoping to give it another go tomorrow evening after stripping the carb down, a while back I had a similar issue when running off the hose. This went away after fitting a holley 'trick kit' (gaskets etc) and there were also a couple of blocked valves (?holes facing upwards at top of primary chamber).
The boat has all new fuel lines, filter etc, I previously cleaned the tank out.
Any advice with this would be much appreciated. .....
'82 Ski Tique
gR@HaM View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gR@HaM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-19-2014 at 9:06pm
'82 Ski Tique
gR@HaM View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gR@HaM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-19-2014 at 9:31pm
Further details on the carb issues to date..

http://correctcraftfan.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=30180
'82 Ski Tique
KRoundy View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KRoundy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-20-2014 at 12:22am
Awesome! Congrats on reaching this point in your project. It feels amazing to have that long-term project floating and running on the water, doesn't it? Sounds like you have a fix in mind for the crab. Get that set up and then post a video of your ride under way!
Previous: 1993 Electric Blue/Charcoal Ski Nautique
Current: 2016 Ski Nautique 200 Open Bow
gR@HaM View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gR@HaM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-20-2014 at 3:53am
Thanks, im not confident I will work out the problem with the carb but will have a look - so any advice you have would be very appreciated!!
'82 Ski Tique
gR@HaM View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gR@HaM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-20-2014 at 4:11am
A big fear I have in the back of mind.. pulling the carb last night I managed to lose one of the mounting washers. Chances are its in the bilge somewhere but worst case what could happen if it fell into the top of the engine
Would this be enough to cause damage?
'82 Ski Tique
gR@HaM View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gR@HaM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-20-2014 at 5:42am
Admittedly I havent changed this gasket yet could it be the cause?

'82 Ski Tique
peter1234 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote peter1234 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-20-2014 at 10:49am
can you either order a carb rebuild kit or buy a replacement carb in europe?
former skylark owner now a formula but I cant let this place go
gR@HaM View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gR@HaM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-20-2014 at 12:14pm
Found a couple of gaskets for the primary all seems ok off the hose, quick question before I try it out appreciate if someone can help in the next hr..
The throttle linkage was backed right off to set timing it idles just about do I need to give this a couple of turns with screwdriver??
Thanks

'82 Ski Tique
KRoundy View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KRoundy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-20-2014 at 12:19pm
I'm not a carb expert at all, but the idea of operation is a precise mix of air and fuel. That broken gasket could be allowing air to be sucked in where it should not be. I do not see or understand how that could be pulling more fuel in, but I'd definitely get that fixed.

Is there a way for your to buy a carb over in the UK?
Previous: 1993 Electric Blue/Charcoal Ski Nautique
Current: 2016 Ski Nautique 200 Open Bow
jimsport93 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jimsport93 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-20-2014 at 12:23pm
Did you ever account for that missing mounting washer?
seacamper View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote seacamper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-20-2014 at 12:26pm
Originally posted by gR@HaM gR@HaM wrote:

A big fear I have in the back of mind.. pulling the carb last night I managed to lose one of the mounting washers. Chances are its in the bilge somewhere but worst case what could happen if it fell into the top of the engine
Would this be enough to cause damage?

Yes, it would not be good for the washer to be sitting in the intake manifold waiting to get sucked into a valve. Are you sure that post had a washer on it? I would spend a bit of time looking for the missing washer. If you do not find it, ask a local shop if they have a camera they can look around in the intake. The other option is a wet dry vac with various size hoses duct taped into the main vacuum hose to probe around in the intake. If you hear a "Fwuuuuuup" you may have picked up the washer.
Tom
1980 Ski Nautique Boat Bar
1988 Mastercraft Tristar Open Bow
1988 Mastercraft Tristar Closed Bow
1969 Seacamper Houseboat
1986 Harris Pontoon
2004 Seadoo GTX SC + Flydive Xboard
1999 Adventurecraft
seacamper View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote seacamper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-20-2014 at 12:31pm
Originally posted by gR@HaM gR@HaM wrote:

Admittedly I havent changed this gasket yet could it be the cause?

Hey Graham,
That gasket keeps the gas in your bowl. Did you notice leaks before? You probably should order a carb kit. N3 Boatworks sponsors the site, and Zach is easy to work with.
Tom
1980 Ski Nautique Boat Bar
1988 Mastercraft Tristar Open Bow
1988 Mastercraft Tristar Closed Bow
1969 Seacamper Houseboat
1986 Harris Pontoon
2004 Seadoo GTX SC + Flydive Xboard
1999 Adventurecraft
gR@HaM View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gR@HaM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-20-2014 at 1:44pm
Yes ive now changed the gaskets thanks - and located that washer!!!
About to get out, do I need to tighten that throttle linkage for idle??
Thanks
'82 Ski Tique
baitkiller View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote baitkiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-20-2014 at 5:51pm
It is about damn time!
Jesus was a bare-footer.............
gR@HaM View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gR@HaM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-21-2014 at 5:58pm
It was worth the wait John!!!

The boat ran a dream, had a good 2hr set yesterday. All i needed to sort was to slacken off the shaft packing.
The engine does have a tendency to stall if pulling away slowly from idle so I think I need to tighten that throttle linkage a turn.

Regarding the speedos as I understand you calibrate them with gps and using an allen key on the dial grommets, but I cant get one to fit.
Any idea if this is correct, and if so what size I should go for?
'82 Ski Tique
SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-21-2014 at 10:53pm
Graham - Cool that you got to use it this summer. So what does the little lady think of the boat? Have you let her pilot it yet?
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin
gR@HaM View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gR@HaM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-22-2014 at 6:59pm
Yes mate she loves it!!
Although I wont be letting her on the water until the Tique proves to be reliable

'82 Ski Tique
juniorwoody View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote juniorwoody Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-22-2014 at 7:34pm
That is a great picture Graham. The little one is probably the most excited by looks. Congratulations in a job well done.
The value of money spent on new adventure far exceeds the value of money saved for the future
Donald80SN View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Donald80SN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-23-2014 at 6:10pm
I just went through the rebuild / remanufacture the carb deal and I would recommend that you purchase a new one. National Carb in Jacksonville, Florida also sells repaired units for a great price. I used Carolina Marine Carb Specialties in Wilmington, NC for my remanufacture and Butch did a great job on my unit. Both companies do a bench test of the unit before shipping. However, I will purchase a new one the next time I need a rebuild.

JMO,

Donald
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-23-2014 at 7:21pm
Originally posted by Donald80SN Donald80SN wrote:

However, I will purchase a new one the next time I need a rebuild.
Donald

Just like Grand Dads original axe where the handle has been changed twice and the head once,you start changing parts and the Pope's won't recognize your boat   
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic