Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - This is why I shouldn't be allowed on the internet
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

This is why I shouldn't be allowed on the internet

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
P71_CrownVic View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote P71_CrownVic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: This is why I shouldn't be allowed on the internet
    Posted: July-18-2014 at 8:21pm
Craig's wonderful list

For those that have restored the mid-80s boats, based on what you see and read, what would I be looking at in terms of cost to get her on the water?

I'm considering offering him $1500 for it.

Thoughts?
bkhallpass View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkhallpass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-18-2014 at 8:32pm
I paid $1500 for one in far worse shape than that about 7 years ago (don't ask status on the rebuild). If his wood work is any good at all and the stringers are properly bedded to the floor, I think that would be a great deal if you could get it for $1500 or 2K. IMHO, the most time consuming part of the stringer job is already done.

BKH
Livin' the Dream

Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote P71_CrownVic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-18-2014 at 8:46pm
Originally posted by bkhallpass bkhallpass wrote:

I paid $1500 for one in far worse shape than that about 7 years ago (don't ask status on the rebuild). If his wood work is any good at all and the stringers are properly bedded to the floor, I think that would be a great deal if you could get it for $1500 or 2K. IMHO, the most time consuming part of the stringer job is already done.

BKH

Based on your experience, how much $$$ do you think I'd have to shell out to get her on the water?
bkhallpass View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkhallpass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-18-2014 at 9:00pm
Going to need to talk to Tim Benjamin or one of the others about that. I'm not much beyond the progress in your pictures. I still need to buy and install the foam, and glass in the floor. My interior also needs replacement.

If he's not providing any materials, you've probably got at least a grand in figerglass, resin, etc. Tim, Joe, others have actually finished several of these. They should be bette judges of cost to complete.

BKH
Livin' the Dream

SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-18-2014 at 9:08pm
The big question is why do you want to buy it? Do you want a second boat?

If you are looking to make a profit, there are easier ways to make a buck . . .
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote P71_CrownVic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-18-2014 at 9:17pm
Originally posted by SNobsessed SNobsessed wrote:

The big question is why do you want to buy it? Do you want a second boat?

If you are looking to make a profit, there are easier ways to make a buck . . .

Profit would be my first motivation. (95%)

Second would be to keep it and have two.....identical boats. I'm not sure why I would need two, but two is better than one. (3%)

Third would be to complete it with the new stringers and sell the one I have now. (2%)

But to resell it is the realistic scenario.
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-18-2014 at 9:33pm
87's are a better tube boat, duh.
Donald80SN View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Donald80SN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-18-2014 at 11:20pm
What type of wood (Pine or Douglas Fir)are the replacement stringers? If the proper wood was not used, you may just have some precut patterns.
AAM196 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AAM196 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-19-2014 at 10:51am
like the title of this thread... so true!

Boat looks like a good project start but you know the market value of it finished is around $6,500 so if you bought for 2 and put 2 into it best case... would you be happy with $2,500 profit for all your time and headaches? Do you have an extra garage bay to store till it's done and sells?

What if you had $5,500 into it and an extra month of troubleshooting?

malibud View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote malibud Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-19-2014 at 11:25am
It is definitely risky. trailer ? I have bought and sold a few boats. this a hard time to sell one. but you have a winter project. Spring is the best. I would budget 2k and a lot of work. The newer nautiques are easier to sell. I just upgraded to a sport and having a hard time sell my 85 for 5k interior is not as good but it does have a tandem trailer, PP, and tower. By mid summer most people who want a boat have one. 2 cents   
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-19-2014 at 11:50am
Originally posted by Donald80SN Donald80SN wrote:

What type of wood (Pine or Douglas Fur)are the replacement stringers? If the proper wood was not used, you may just have some precut patterns.

Doug Fir is my choice. Since you are in the west,it should not be hard to find. It's strength is by far superior.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
63 Skier View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 63 Skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-21-2014 at 1:44pm
My take is restoring inboard ski boats is a bad way to try to make money. The market simply doesn't pay for all the good work you might do. With all the boats you look at on Craigslist, you see that a project is listed at $3,000, a turnkey boat in beat up condition is listed at $5,000, and a turnkey boat with interior and gel in good shape is $6,500. I just don't think it's worth all that effort to try to make a few bucks, you end up with your hourly labor being worth $2.50/hour.

Just my opinion, and of course if you just love doing the work and have the time, why not? The idea of keeping it for a 2nd boat makes the most sense to me.
'63 American Skier - '98 Sport Nautique
TX Foilhead View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TX Foilhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-21-2014 at 2:14pm
Boat & Profit should not be used in the same sentence.

If it's in good shape, $2000 for a spare motor and interior and 2 really cool fiberglass bars isn't a bad deal.
Dreaming View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dreaming Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-21-2014 at 4:29pm
I sold my 82 for 2200 last year with the floor and motor out. I don't think 2000-2500 is out of line for that boat, especially with a decent interior.   as stated above, unless you have a real hankering for some fiberglass work, there are easier ways to make some money.... I bet with a new floor/stringer set up , you will only clear about 1k if you play your cards right. You could make that much money by delivering pizzas for a month and then you wouldn't be too tired to ski/boat at night when your done
wwchevy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wwchevy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-22-2014 at 12:30pm
Originally posted by AAM196 AAM196 wrote:

market value of it finished is around $6,500 so if you bought for 2 and put 2 into it best case... would you be happy with $2,500 profit for all your time and headaches?

I like the boat, looks like a good project but if you completed that boat and made $2,500.00, I would be surprised. There are always the "while I'm in here I might as well..." things that creep in plus like Pete said the stringers are already done. If they are done right, you are in good shape- if they aren't . Don't listen to me because I'm a little bitter right now, I am nearing completion on my second stringer job and realizing that boat mechanics should make more than 26 cents an hour for this hard of work.
wwchevy
1989 Barefoot Nautique
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote P71_CrownVic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-23-2014 at 10:33pm
Originally posted by wwchevy wwchevy wrote:

Don't listen to me because I'm a little bitter right now, I am nearing completion on my second stringer job and realizing that boat mechanics should make more than 26 cents an hour for this hard of work.

Not until my '86 has it's stringers done!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic