NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Pro Boss questions

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
Orlando76 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Orlando76 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Pro Boss questions
    Posted: July-16-2014 at 8:30pm
Have some elementary questions. My knowledge in CC has always been '89 and earlier. We use our '76 so much I wouldn't mind a 2nd CC to balance the hours out. I've really hit the slalom hard this year and stuck with it, and progressed ever so barely slowly, so a smoother wake SN is not a bad idea.

I found a '95 closed bow SN that is 6 hours round trip away. I spoke with the owner and the boat sounds really nice. My concern is the engine. The owner says it's the Pro Boss with the throttle body injection, 268 hours. Is this the engine with the dreaded Pro Tec ignition? Would this Pro Boss have gt40 heads?

I checked the reference section and it didn't mention much for engine choices in '95.
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-16-2014 at 8:34pm
Pro boss = HO 351w (with gt40 heads). Came in carb, tbi and mpefi flavors.

The tbi version does rely on the protec ignition to function.
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-16-2014 at 8:42pm
So your saying you could get a 95 with 3 different methods of induction? I would think that would be a parts counter nightmare
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
Orlando76 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Orlando76 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-16-2014 at 9:03pm
Originally posted by TRBenj TRBenj wrote:

For future reference, I guess the MPFI would too? Think I need to research on the Pro Tec ordeal.
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-16-2014 at 9:18pm
Originally posted by Orlando76 Orlando76 wrote:

Originally posted by TRBenj TRBenj wrote:

For future reference, I guess the MPFI would too? Think I need to research on the Pro Tec ordeal.

Nope, carb and tbi only. Mpefi = "gt40".
KRoundy View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KRoundy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-17-2014 at 12:32pm
Your fears of the "dreaded ProTec" are not grounded in reality. If you buy an engine with the ProTec system and it goes bad, just replace it with one of the various systems available and keep skiing. No big deal. I am running a ProTec system right now and it works great. I'll likely upgrade to a DUI soon just because, but for now that engine pulls with a rush of power that will put a smile on my face for weeks.
Previous: 1993 Electric Blue/Charcoal Ski Nautique
Current: 2016 Ski Nautique 200 Open Bow
TX Foilhead View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TX Foilhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-17-2014 at 12:47pm
95 should have a GT40 or a carb, ProTec was gone by then.
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-17-2014 at 1:06pm
Originally posted by TX Foilhead TX Foilhead wrote:

95 should have a GT40 or a carb, ProTec was gone by then.

Incorrect... Tbi was available 94-95.
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-17-2014 at 1:47pm

I checked the reference section and it didn't mention much for engine choices in '95.

You looked at the Brochure. Check the Owner's Manual, all the available engines are shown.
Orlando76 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Orlando76 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-17-2014 at 2:10pm
Originally posted by KRoundy KRoundy wrote:

Your fears of the "dreaded ProTec" are not grounded in reality. If you buy an engine with the ProTec system and it goes bad, just replace it with one of the various systems available and keep skiing. No big deal. I am running a ProTec system right now and it works great. I'll likely upgrade to a DUI soon just because, but for now that engine pulls with a rush of power that will put a smile on my face for weeks.

True. My fears are more so from lack of knowledge of the "modern" boats. Well that and i don't want to have to dump $600 or so right away if the Pro Tec failed as I'm "temporarily unemployed" for the summer and my wife's a teacher which is unemployed for the summer. When I get a chance I need to read more on Pro Tec. Being TBI, if I swapped to a DUI wouldn't I also have to swap to carb assuming the TBI needs the full engine management system to function?

Of course this sale is based on an even trade for a 2000 21' blue water I have and I think the other party lost interest today bc of its draft.
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-17-2014 at 2:19pm

Being TBI, if I swapped to a DUI wouldn't I also have to swap to carb assuming the TBI needs the full engine management system?

Correct... I am not aware of anyone who has attempted to divorce a tbi system from the protec... Though it may very well be possible, it's probably safer to assume that you'd have to replace both in the event of a ignition failure, and factor that into the boats price/value. The tbi proboss boats hauled a$$ though!
phatsat67 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phatsat67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-17-2014 at 3:10pm
Buy it and drive the piss outta it until it fails then throw on a carb and a hot DUI or MSD marine set up and it will run longer than you do.

The TBI boats actually run really well when they run.
KRoundy View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KRoundy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-17-2014 at 8:21pm

True. My fears are more so from lack of knowledge of the "modern" boats. Well that and i don't want to have to dump $600 or so right away if the Pro Tec failed as I'm "temporarily unemployed" for the summer and my wife's a teacher which is unemployed for the summer. When I get a chance I need to read more on Pro Tec. Being TBI, if I swapped to a DUI wouldn't I also have to swap to carb assuming the TBI needs the full engine management system to function?

Of course this sale is based on an even trade for a 2000 21' blue water I have and I think the other party lost interest today bc of its draft.

It is a used boat. Thinking that you can use it completely cost-free is not based in reality IMHO. There is always something that needs to be done or could be done.

Too bad the deal fell through. Sounds like it would have been a good swap to me. I bet that boat would have worked very well for you for a long time.

Keep up the slalom skiing and keep looking for the right deal on a newer slalom machine. The more time you do behind those classic boats the more you will appreciate the new experiences ahead of you. I also think that skiing behind the classic SN's can help you in the end. You HAVE to keep that ski on edge to get across those wakes. That is the proper way to cross all wakes and is good form to learn and put into your muscle memory. The training will serve you well when you are able to ski behind a more modern wake!
Orlando76 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Orlando76 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-18-2014 at 9:06am
I don't expect a new used boat to be cost free but for some reason wives don't like dumping big coin into something "new".

I always like Zach's view.... Drive it till blows up then worry about it. Sounds like my dad.

In the next week or so I'm going to detail my big boat, advertise it for a trade on a Ski Nautique or houseboat not looking to just sell out right. Seems like a needle in haystack to find a deal like that but I've seen 2 good SN in the area in past 3 months wanting to trade for a boat like mine.
phatsat67 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phatsat67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-18-2014 at 10:24am
Fyi, we have had in 3 bummed pro-tec injected boats in the past week here at the shop. Two completely failed the other the injectors went static and filled a cylinder with fuel and hydro locked it. That one is getting a NOS throttle body plunked down on it and he will run it until the rest fails.
KRoundy View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KRoundy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-20-2014 at 12:23pm
Zach - yikes. Did they break the engine with that hydro-lock? That's a crazy scenario.
Orlando76 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Orlando76 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-21-2014 at 7:42pm
Wowzer, what kind of ball park is an NOS TBI in?
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic