NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

New Stereo

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
MrMcD View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrMcD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: New Stereo
    Posted: July-15-2014 at 10:51pm
Our 95 Ski Nautique still had the factory Clarion AM FM with a Cassette player in it. I decided it was way past time to upgrade, not looking for the 2000 watt systems you see in many boats I just wanted a better stereo able to play my ipod music. Found a Kenwood AM FM Marine unit with Bluetooth for less than $100 bucks, best 100 I have spent in a long time. I almost bought 4 new speakers to match but I am glad I did not. The factory Clarion Speakers sound great. The unit has 50 watts per channel, more than I ever use and syncs with our Cel phones, Pandora, Bluetooth and the Ipod. It also allows charging a cel phone.
I think this model has been out a few years already but I am impressed and it is a nice upgrade so I had to share. I should have done this long ago. And it bolted right in with no changes other than hooking up the wire harness, the wire harness even used the same color coding.
( now I just hope it holds up a while ) I should also include I am not impressed with the AM pick up, it works but not as good as the factory Clarion unit.
TX Foilhead View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TX Foilhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-15-2014 at 11:30pm
Stream AM on the iPhone, you'll never listen to it through a radio again.
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-15-2014 at 11:39pm
Don't feel bad Mark,N3 put a new Clarion in mine with pretty much the same spec's as yours, AM not so hot either. I also have been using my iPod not the phone
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
MrMcD View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrMcD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-16-2014 at 4:45am
I am looking forward to having the Ipod option,and I know I am out of date, my kids always remind me. Thanks
Morfoot View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Morfoot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-16-2014 at 10:46am
Since dropping in the new radio in my boat the radio hardly ever gets used. The girls wanna listen to their music so the Bluetooth link is really cool. My Ipod is always there but gets out voted as the girls don't like Dad's music. I have actually used the CD player once or twice as I made an MP3 disk with my Fav's.

Gary...you actually own an Ipod?
"Morfoot; He can ski. He can wakeboard.He can cook chicken.He can create his own self-named beverage, & can also apparently fly. A man of many talents."72 Mustang "Kermit",88 SN Miss Scarlett, 99 SN "Sherman"
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-16-2014 at 11:08am
I have a windup one actually had it for work for something to do
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
JPASS View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JPASS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-16-2014 at 11:14am
Originally posted by Morfoot Morfoot wrote:

Since dropping in the new radio in my boat the radio hardly ever gets used.

Me too. Dropped in a whole new system last year and we seldom use it.

'92 Correctcraft Ski Nautique
AAM196 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AAM196 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-16-2014 at 11:37am
I just did this too "I bought a display model Alpine (not marine grade) because I got it 1/2 price and I love it. My Phone rings in the boat when my wife needs me back for supper and everything. But the best addition is the 32gig leef usb stick that will hold 7,500 of your favorite songs give or take! and the lid shuts over it so no worries when the SAN swamp your boat LOL.

http://www.2leef.com/store/product/supra-3-usb-drive/

Also, I thought the clarion stock speakers were ok till I relpaced with polks... and they were cheap and marine grade $130 for 4! Yes you could get the better MMseries but unless your or going with amps and subs and building enclosures... not going to notice difference

http://www.amazon.com/Polk-Audio-DB651-6-5-Inch-Speakers/dp/B000P0PF9G/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1405517587&sr=8-1&keywords=polk+db651

So spend the extra $140.00 on these two things and thank me later!   
gun-driver View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gun-driver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-16-2014 at 11:46am
Sounds like a nice system except the phone calls in the boat. Having the wife able to call me when I'm in the boat would SUCK!
AAM196 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AAM196 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-16-2014 at 11:56am
Ring Ring...

What do you want...well I was just finishing up the 2nd coat of wax on your truck and it dawn on me that you could be running low on beer.. should I just bring some down to the dock so you don't need to walk up to the house.

or at least that's what my thinking was when I installed it..
MrMcD View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrMcD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-16-2014 at 12:13pm
I have not loaded up a memory stick with music yet but it is set up for that, great idea, much smaller than taking the Ipod.
desertskier View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote desertskier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-16-2014 at 12:32pm
Originally posted by JPASS JPASS wrote:

What's a stereo? I've been listening to my 351W for 1400 hours. Music to my ears!
Morfoot View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Morfoot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-16-2014 at 12:37pm
I actually installed the mike for the phone under the steering wheel. No wife to worry about but has come in handy when CCFans showing up late to the lake call to ask...Hey Man....where y'all at?

Never thought about a USB memory stick...Good Idea!

I dropped some new Polks in the front that I ordered online from Fry's Electronics. Non marine as well but silicon cones. No need to amp up mine either... I'll leave that to the CCFans with towers.
"Morfoot; He can ski. He can wakeboard.He can cook chicken.He can create his own self-named beverage, & can also apparently fly. A man of many talents."72 Mustang "Kermit",88 SN Miss Scarlett, 99 SN "Sherman"
74Wind View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 74Wind Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-18-2014 at 10:08am
Originally posted by desertskier desertskier wrote:

Originally posted by JPASS JPASS wrote:

What's a stereo? I've been listening to my 351W for 1400 hours. Music to my ears!

+1. PO of mine installed a great stereo (Bose/etc). Recently turned it on for the first time of the season to find the CD skipping. With no modern gizmos and not really caring anyway, just turned it back off. Back to Music by Ford..
1974 Southwind 18
1975 Century Mark II
wataugasn84 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wataugasn84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-18-2014 at 1:22pm
I was thinking about a stereo install in the SN2001 and did not like the options of cutting etc. So I tried using my bluetooth on phone and bought a wireless "Bluetooth Jam Classic "speaker and was very impressed,good sound and plenty loud enough. You can place it anywhere very small and whenever you are finished just take it out and recharge it. $29:00 No more batteries and no cutting on boat.
Watuugasn84
KRoundy View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KRoundy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-19-2014 at 1:34pm
Is THIS the Kenwood unit you purchased? My boat had a big square hole in the glove box and I purchased this unit to fill it in. It sounds GREAT. I hooked it up for four new Alpine marine speakers and am very happy with the end result. Great for just floating and listening to some tunes. When the motor starts, however, the stereo is turned off. :)
Previous: 1993 Electric Blue/Charcoal Ski Nautique
Current: 2016 Ski Nautique 200 Open Bow
AAM196 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AAM196 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-19-2014 at 2:27pm
I kinda wish the fartbox muffler had a better sound to it...

I've thought many times about trading it in on a y pipe... anyone do that? soundbite wanted...
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic