Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

New Interior & Buff Out

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
halfnelly View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote halfnelly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: New Interior & Buff Out
    Posted: June-12-2014 at 5:23pm
I figured I'd do a post about bringing my '94 Sport back to life. My grandparents bought this 1994 Sport Nautique from SE Correct Craft back in the late '90s when they moved to FL. I had aspriations of becoming a pro wakeboarder while in high school so they figured it would help me train as well as something they could enjoy on their lake. We used it on the Clermont Chain for a few years until the drought decimated the water level. Since the boat didn't get used much, it ended up getting stranded on the lift high and dry for about 5 or 6 years without a cover. Needless to say, it was in pretty bad shape when we managed to wrestle it off the cradle and tow it out about a year and half ago.

Since then, I've been busy replacing everything that needs it. A new steering cable, carburetor, tach, temp gauge, and some hoses got it running. I also converted the Protec with the SkiDim kit since it was leaking goo everywhere. The original trailer looked like Swiss cheese from the sprinklers spraying it next to the house, so I eventually replaced it with one from a 2003 196 that I found locally.

I finally decided to have the interior done a few months ago. JPass referred me to the woman who did his upholstery and I dropped the interior pieces off in February just before our son was born. The timing was perfect since we wouldn't be using the boat for a while anyway with a newborn at home. I had her do everything, bow to stern including redoing the carpet and bimini top. With the interior out of the way, I thought it would be a good time to have everything wet sanded and buffed out. I had the original graphics stripped, hull and deck wet sanded, and new graphics put back on. I also managed to find time to pull the shaft and replace the strut bearing. I just got the interior pieces back and installed last weekend, it looks like a completely new boat now (except for the 1485 on the hour meter). I can't wait to get it back in the water!

Special thanks to Eli @ A Brilliant Finish Detailing, Patty @ WW Upholstery, and JPass for the referral.

Anyways, here's a few before and afters:

Hansel View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hansel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-12-2014 at 5:56pm
Wow! Looks great, nice save.

From the first couple pics I thought it was a blue boat. Some of that might be from the camera but I am guessing it was intensely faded.
C-Bass View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote C-Bass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-12-2014 at 5:59pm
Wow that looks nice. I thought it was blue as well. A great example of how faded/chalky gel can be and still be brought back to life.
Craig
67 SN
73 SN
99 Sport
85SN
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-12-2014 at 5:59pm
+1 great rescue
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
halfnelly View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote halfnelly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-12-2014 at 6:01pm
Haha Hansel, that's what intensely oxidized violet looks like.
Smithfamily View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Smithfamily Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-12-2014 at 6:37pm
Looks Great!
Js
JPASS View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JPASS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-12-2014 at 8:50pm
Came out awesome
'92 Correctcraft Ski Nautique
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-12-2014 at 9:01pm
Fantastic!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
halfnelly View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote halfnelly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-12-2014 at 11:22pm
Thanks everyone!
KRoundy View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KRoundy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-13-2014 at 1:01am
That looks new! Well done and thanks for saving this boat.
Previous: 1993 Electric Blue/Charcoal Ski Nautique
Current: 2016 Ski Nautique 200 Open Bow
Morfoot View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Morfoot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-13-2014 at 9:47am
Nicely done and great save. No reason to not show her off at next years River Run!
"Morfoot; He can ski. He can wakeboard.He can cook chicken.He can create his own self-named beverage, & can also apparently fly. A man of many talents."72 Mustang "Kermit",88 SN Miss Scarlett, 99 SN "Sherman"
kapla View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kapla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-13-2014 at 3:51pm
nice brefore and after Pics!

good job!

so the upholstery shop had the patterns for the skins? or they did the job using your old ones?
how much did they charge you if you are ok with giving here?

<a href="">1992 ski nautique
halfnelly View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote halfnelly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-13-2014 at 4:12pm
Morefoot, I planned to attend this year but my son had other plans for us. We did manage to make it to Sunnyland for a day, but there was no way we could stay out a whole weekend in Astor with a newborn. Planning on it next year!

Kapla, my upholsterer did not have the patterns. She patterned everything off of my existing skins and replaced any foam and wood that was necessary. PM sent about pricing.
kapla View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kapla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-13-2014 at 4:44pm
good job on the DIY install!
<a href="">1992 ski nautique
halfnelly View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote halfnelly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-13-2014 at 4:48pm
Kap, I can't take too much credit for the install, all I did was remove and reinstall the seats, cushions, pads, and motor box. Easy stuff, but it saved me a couple hundred in labor!
jbear View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-14-2014 at 1:20am
uhh...wow...

john
"Loud pipes save lives"

AdamT sez "I'm Canadian and a beaver lover myself"...
tztoolman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tztoolman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-17-2014 at 10:10am
Nice job, looks awesome!!!!! Getting ready to put a cable in my 94 Sport and was wondering what cable you bought? Part# and length? Thanks
crabman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote crabman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-17-2014 at 10:19am
Turned out great! Nice save ;)
Donald80SN View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Donald80SN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-17-2014 at 10:22am
Smoking Hot Boat
jo-e90 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jo-e90 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-20-2014 at 3:42am
Where dis you get the "Sport Nautique" graphics?
1997 Sport Nautique
halfnelly View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote halfnelly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-21-2014 at 11:06am
Thanks guys.

Can't remember what the part number of the steering cable is, I got it from the dealer here locally. '94 was an odd year where two different cables were used and I figured it would be easier to get one local in case it was the wrong one. jo-e90, the replacement graphics came from Nautiqueparts.com, part # S3611.

The boat is actually back at the upholsterer now, the stitching on some pieces started turning purple after getting wet. Turns out her supplier mistakenly sent the wrong seam tape (not marine grade) and the dye was bleeding out. They are warrantying all the work to correct the problem. We've been out of town for a week anyway, so it's no big deal. While it's there, she's redoing the bimini in purple (black was too hot) as well as making a new snap-in covers for the bow area and behind the rear seat.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic